Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New Rus type Z by Robert Moc arrives! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Myles Mulkey

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jul, 2011 11:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tim, you have to quit getting all these shiny new toys... you're making me seriously jealous haha. Laughing Out Loud
Jim Adelsen
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jul, 2011 1:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice. Love the inlay.
www.viking-shield.com
Eric G.

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jul, 2011 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: New Rus type Z by Robert Moc arrives!         Reply with quote

Tim Lison wrote:
Grip is snakeskin.

This is truly beautiful.

Just out of curiosity, why did you do the grip in snake skin? Did he dye it that color red?

Eric Gregersen
www.EricGregersen.com
Knowledge applied is power.
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jul, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations Tim,

That's a beautiful sword! The inlay design really shows an eastern flair. It's cool to see this familiar aesthetic on such an early specimen.
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Mon 01 Aug, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Beautiful sword, but way too pretty to wear on the hip at a fair where it might get scratched! Definitely a great sword though!
William P

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jan, 2012 12:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

damn, now i cant decide whether to get a type Z sword for my rus/ varangian reenactment or a 10th C sabre *sighs* choices, choices
David Huggins

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jan, 2012 3:26 am    Post subject: Russ type Z         Reply with quote

This one must have got bye me... Eek! .Exceptional piece and congratulation Tim, Roberts work never fails to impress, I just wish Viking Age re-enactors could see these swords and perhaps fore-go their obsession with sabres!

best
Dave

and he who stands and sheds blood with us, shall be as a brother.
William P

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jan, 2012 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Russ type Z         Reply with quote

David Huggins wrote:
This one must have got bye me... Eek! .Exceptional piece and congratulation Tim, Roberts work never fails to impress, I just wish Viking Age re-enactors could see these swords and perhaps fore-go their obsession with sabres!

best
Dave

its funny you say that statement about this sword, this type of sword in particular is linked to the RUS, the men who later formed the first units of the varangian guard in 988 AD
but id agree, unless your actually eastern, dont use the sabres. its like a byzantine soldier having a norman sword, with the vague excuse he just swapped it from a norman mercenary in the byzantine forces...

viking swords can be just as elegent.
Neil Gagel

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jan, 2012 7:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hmmm, I dunno. Frankly, I don't see what all of the fuss is about. Tell ya what, I'll take it off of your hands and dispose of it properly, you know, as a favor. Happy

No?

Crap... well, it was worth a shot. In all seriousness, that's one of the most beautiful swords I've seen in a while. It seriously makes me want to consider collecting pre-13th century type weapons.
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jan, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glad you guys like it. I've been meaning to take some more pics of it and some other swords as a group shot. I'm waiting for a few to arrive and then I'll do it. There will be another "Rus" style sword among the group....
Nicholas A. Gaese

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jan, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is awsome seeing a sword like this makes me crave for a viking of my own, well done! I had to laugh at Nathan's response Laughing Out Loud

Tim I have to second that request for a group shot, you've got a few other seriously nice swords and on top of this new show case piece you have another on the way!? Eek! Dang, your on a roll!

congratz on such a great sword!

Regards.
Jen Miilu

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jan, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: oh my         Reply with quote

Well Done Tim!

Just an incredible yet deadly work of art!

Nathan, Very clever pun.. lol
Thomas R.

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jan, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A really beautiful and stunning piece of workmanship. It's perfect. Perhaps even a tad bit too perfect...

It deserves to be handled, to be used, to put to the test. To earn it's scratches and get a soul. If you set it apart in a container, a safe, a cupboard... it will stay pristine, but it won't get a story, no soul. It's your duty to use it - in reenactment or for test cutting.

Have a lot of fun with it!

Thomas

http://maerenundlobebaeren.tumblr.com/
William P

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jan, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i think im going to try and commission the same sword type from him but ask that it be made in a much more inexpensive form in terms of materials and decorations.
how much did you pay for this sword by the way?
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jan, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William P wrote:
i think im going to try and commission the same sword type from him but ask that it be made in a much more inexpensive form in terms of materials and decorations.

how much did you pay for this sword by the way?

Discussing how much a custom project costs in public is generally considered inappropriate. Regardless, it's not very helpful as the maker creates his own pricing and does not necessarily base it on previous work or previous pricing. It's often best to contact the maker directly and get a quote or secondarily asking in private what the ballpark of such an item was to get an idea before engaging the maker directly.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jan, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would add that a maker might give and stick to a quoted price but after doing the work on a custom piece he might better know at this time how much work is involved: Making a second similar piece might be quoted lower, if the maker thinks he can do it faster and more efficiently, but most times he might find that there was much much more work than he anticipated when he quoted for the first piece and would ask a lot more to make a similar piece.

A maker might also give a better price to a frequent repeat buyer or just someone who has become a friend.

Too many variable involved to get more than a very ballpark idea of the price someone paid for a piece and circumstances like increased prices of materials could also affect the price of a commission that was quoted years ago when the maker's order cue is a long one and the wait times measured in years.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
William P

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jan, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i apologize for the mistake,
i merely ask because the type of sword almost exactly matches both the ethnicity and time period of the person im reenacting, but i dont have the money to afford such an exquisite blade and wont for a while,
so a compromise is to commission the same sword model, just much more 'bare bones' model.

or maybe find someone else who can replicate that type of sword. either one.

but thanks for the warning.
yes ill email robert moc when i get a chance and try to explain what i want, and if its even something he will do.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New Rus type Z by Robert Moc arrives!
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: