myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The new Conan movie thread Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next 
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Fri 22 Jul, 2011 2:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sander Marechal wrote:
I must be the odd man out here, because I like the old movies. Even the second one! Yes, they're bad and cheesy and what-not, but it's fun to watch! I even like (*shock* *horror*) Red Sonya. I probably just have bad taste, but I can really enjoy a bad movie for what it is. Sometimes me and my friends organise a bad movie night where we watch such pulpy things (alongside classics such as Evil Dead III, The Beastmaster, Peter Jackson's early work, The Princess Bride, etcetera).

I should probably say that I never read any of the Conan books, so I don't feel bad that the old movies don't even resemble them.

Well, a man who can't enjoy bad movies like Red Sonya and Conan the Destroyer on some level obviously has something wrong with his head. Happy

But the thing is, Conan as written by Robert E. Howard is totally awesome (in my completely objective estimation), and seeing genuinely great source material reduced to unintentionally funny crap kinda hurts. Milius's films feel more like half-hearted parodies of the original character than honest adaptations. (Although Conan the Barbarian is still a damn good movie in its own right, despite failing as an adaptation.)

Now it seems like this time we might get something that actually shows some modicum of respect to the source material! So I'm pretty happy right now. Happy

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Bram van Diemen

PostPosted: Fri 22 Jul, 2011 3:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I also like the old conan movies. Must be a Dutch thing. And I sometimes even like to watch the other sorrt-of-conan movie with Kevin Sorbo. There are even worde movies, like the barbarian twins.

Can;t wait though what the new movie will be like.
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 22 Jul, 2011 5:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like the Arnold movies. They're fun. But this is not REH's Conan, who was a much cooler dude. The movie Conan seems to be derived as much from popular cultural images like paintings and comic books as he is from the literary character.

One of those popular images is Conan constantly walking around in a fur bikini. In REH, he wore clothes appropriate for the region and was often fully armoured. This is embarassing for REH fans.

Lord of the Rings recieved a far more faithful treatment, and no surprise, made much more money and gets a lot more respect (even an oscar for best picture).
Tim Mathews

PostPosted: Fri 22 Jul, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: New Conan Movie         Reply with quote

Hello All,
As a kid I read and reread all those Lancer paperbacks with the Frazetta covers and loved them ... My Bride recently found me a two volume hard cover set of everything he ever had published in weird Tales ... I was in the Marine Corps when the first movie came out and loved the first scenes - even the "forging" of the Father`s sword but especially the raid at at Conan`s village ... The rest of it ... the less said the better.
At any rate what I have been reading is that this movie is supposed to be much darker and more true to REH`s world of flesh eating ghouls , ferocious warriors and beautiful women ...
I share the disappointment with what seems to be the silliness of the weapons I have seen in the stills ...
All that said I am still thrilled that hollywood is taking another shot at this ...
I have always hoped that someone would look at his historical fiction - Characters such as Cormac Fitzsimmons or Black Turlough ... I know there is a Solomon Kane movie out with Purefoy from the Rome HBO series and am anxious to see it ... Just saying ...
PS - Is anyone aware of a publication that contains all the poetry he wrote ... I remember that each paragraph of those Lancer books would be prefaced with a paragraph of his stuff ... Some of it was really cool ...
Best
Tim

Tim Mathews
Hal Siegel
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 22 Jul, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bram van Diemen wrote:
I also like the old conan movies. Must be a Dutch thing. And I sometimes even like to watch the other sort-of-conan movie with Kevin Sorbo. There are even worse movies, like the barbarian twins.

Hey, the Barbarian Brothers were awesome!

and they were triplets, not twins:

Happy

Hal Siegel - TherionArms
http://www.therionarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/TherionArms
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Fri 22 Jul, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

JE Sarge wrote:
I will give the movie the benefit of the doubt until I see it.

However, those weapons I see in the trailer look like complete rubbish. Where did they get those things, on sale from the MRL Foam LARP Sword section? They look horrid, they don't even live up to the Kit Rae/Bud K catalogue in appearance as fantasy weapons. I think they could have done a much better job had the production designers had enough common sense to actually look at a few real sword websites. Hell, if they would have only watched a couple fantasy movies - they could have came up with better ideas.

Jody Samson would not be pleased... Cry

I see that Albion's FilmSword division is working on the development of the Conan 3D sword. THe place holder picture they have up looks exactly like a LARP foam weapon sadly enough. I was there looking to see if they had what the inscription was on the Father's sword but no luck. Guess I will have to put my Google-fu to the test. Eek!

Chris Landwehr 10/10/49-1/1/09 My Mom
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Fri 22 Jul, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bram van Diemen wrote:
There are even worde movies, like the barbarian twins.

Might have been drunk or something when watching that one but I still think its the best movie ever!!! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
A.V. Dolan

PostPosted: Sat 23 Jul, 2011 4:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That clip was awesome-I hope the movie is as good.
Vincit qui se vincit
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 23 Jul, 2011 7:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you do not like the original Conan the Barbarian, you might like the musical version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBGOQ7SsJrw

Don't say I did not warn you... Laughing Out Loud

J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
John T.

PostPosted: Sat 23 Jul, 2011 11:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh, man. It's been a while since I saw that musical. I think it's better than the original film.

Thanks for posting that, Sarge.
Marko Susimetsa

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jul, 2011 7:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's a link to Albion's work in progress page where they show the work that's being done with the Conan sword:

http://filmswords.com/conan/conan3ddiary.htm

All I can say is: I doubt that sword will get sold in very great numbers...
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jul, 2011 2:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lars actually seems less than thrilled with it in the photos!

Maybe just caught him before coffee or something.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd

Last edited by Joe Fults on Sun 24 Jul, 2011 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mikko Kuusirati

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jul, 2011 3:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Does anyone else think that, besides a latex LARP weapon, the sword looks a lot like the Kurgan's take-down thingy from Highlander? Especially the shapes of the blade and crossguard.
"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jul, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Its there but I'm really having a problem getting past the rubber sword look of it. The more I see of that thing the more I think it might be the worst movie prop sword ever. Star Trek did a better job coming up with things that looked like they might be useful for something.

Last edited by Joe Fults on Mon 25 Jul, 2011 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mikko Kuusirati

PostPosted: Mon 25 Jul, 2011 5:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
Its there but I'm really having a problem getting past the rubber sword look of it. The more I see of that thing the more I think it might be the worst moving prop sword ever. Star Trek did a better job coming up with things that looked like they might be useful for something.

I think it's the exaggerated coloring. You see the exact same sort of faux-stained effect on miniatures and latex weapons, where it improves the illusion of reality by emphasizing the important, "sharp" bits: the "edges" and "points" are painted like they're highly polished and shiny, and the flats and blunt bits are less polished and thus patinaed darker. It also creates a crude but effective impression of a reflective metal surface, and can be used to exaggerate or even create apparent shapes by shading. Here... I dunno, it just makes it look like a latex sword. FAIL.

It will look a lot better on film, of course. That's what movie props are for.

Phil D.

Reading list: 56 books

PostPosted: Mon 25 Jul, 2011 7:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8xblwyKtfo
"A bottle of wine contains more philosophy than all the books in the world." -- Louis Pasteur

"A gentleman should never leave the house without a sharp knife, a good watch, and great hat."
Mikko Kuusirati

PostPosted: Mon 25 Jul, 2011 7:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Phil D. wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8xblwyKtfo

I have seen that, and am hyped. Everybody's way too clothed, of course, but still. I'm hyped. Big Grin

Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Tue 26 Jul, 2011 4:50 am    Post subject: The new Conan movie thread         Reply with quote

I don't really like the sword used by Schwarzenegger in Conan the Barbarian simply because of its design. But to me the one used by Momoa in the remake is better and differs from the original. This one doesn't have langets bordering the ricasso.
“You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength”

- Marcus Aurelius
Marko Susimetsa

PostPosted: Tue 26 Jul, 2011 7:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Arnold's sword was in no way attractive to my eye either, but it did have uniqueness to it, and character. Jason Momoa's sword, on the other hand, does not even look like it is made out of steel (or iron). I also doubt that the pommel is big enough to balance the sword (if it were real). I wonder how that will affect the balance of Albion's reproduction or if they will be able to make the blade light enough to counter it...

Mind you, it does still look better than some of the so-called fantasy swords out there.
Marko Susimetsa

PostPosted: Wed 27 Jul, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Some disappointing details have cropped up in recent Comic-Con interviews. Momoa has been repeating this in a few of the interviews now:

Quote:
Jason Momoa: “And then I studied a lot of samurai films. I wanted to incorporate that, to take a broadsword and to wield it like a samurai sword was something that I wanted to do, so I studied a lot of films. I did everything, like reverse grip, and I just wanted to put that Asian influence into this Barbarian thing, bring some grace to it.”

Source: http://www.conanmovieblog.com/2011/07/28/comi...#more-3177

I doubt I need to say it here why this makes me sad...

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The new Conan movie thread
Page 2 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: