Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Louvre - The Sword of Charlemagne Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Tue 28 Sep, 2004 7:17 am    Post subject: Louvre - The Sword of Charlemagne         Reply with quote

I had a business trip to Paris last week for two days of meetings with a customer. As things worked out, we ended up going through the entire agenda in one long day. So, I had the next day pretty much to myself, and decided to run down to the Louvre, since I had never actually been inside. I was looking forward to seeing the Mona Lisa (which was a mob scene), the Venus de Milo, and some other pieces.

I had always associated the Louvre with paintings and sculpture, so was not really thinking about arms and armour. However, I stumbled across a piece that was attributed to Charlemagne. I do not yet know as much as I would like about swords in general, but it seems to me that this blade does not look at all like something from the time of Charlemagne, circa 800AD. I looks like a lenticular cross-section, with no fuller. I would appreciate information and/or comments that any of you may have on the provenance of this piece.

Sorry about the quality of the pictures, but this was as good as I could get with my little digital, and the way in which the piece was exhibited.

Steve Grisetti

[/img]
Steve Fabert

PostPosted: Tue 28 Sep, 2004 8:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You aren't the first person to suspect that the sword is much younger than Charlemagne. http://www.myArmoury.com/feature_charlemagne.html
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Tue 28 Sep, 2004 8:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Fabert wrote:
You aren't the first person to suspect that the sword is much younger than Charlemagne. http://www.myArmoury.com/feature_charlemagne.html

Thanks for the connection. Interesting to note in Björn Hellqvist remark that the blade "...has a relatively wide, shallow fuller...." I don't remember any fuller at all, but when I go back to look at my pictures, I think I can see it. It must be quite shallow. The lighting of the exhibit probably did not help.
Don Stanko

Reading list: 482 books

PostPosted: Wed 29 Sep, 2004 4:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The incredible sword you have pictured there is actually a coronation sword from some time around the 12th century (Swords and hilt weapons page 37). I dont know the exact date but I could look it up. Another earlier sword of Charlemagne is from the ninth century and resembles near eastern swords, displaying an angled grip and a slightly curved blade. It is equally impressive. I'm not sure if either sword was actually owned by Charlemagne but it is possible, after all he was a Holy Roman Emperor that had influence across the european continent and I'm sure the swords have been embellished throughout the years with new trendy hardware.

Don
Jeff Johnson

PostPosted: Thu 30 Sep, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

(Insert Snarky Comment about Museums misleading the public for tha sake of hype)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Louvre - The Sword of Charlemagne
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic