Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Better Late than Never! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Michael Pearce
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Tue 12 Jul, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Better Late than Never!         Reply with quote

There's a bit of a story with this sword- for one thing I'm not quite sure when I started the blade... years ago (7-9?) a member of a local theatrical troupe asked me to make a Viking sword (Thus the mono-temper at approx. HRc52.) I had blithely started this blade without consulting my notes, and when I did was dismayed to find that the customer had specified a sword 2-1/4 inches wide at the base! I set this partially-finished blade aside, thinking I'd just use it for a stock sword later and promptly forgot about it. Things piled up as they do and the blade remained forgotten until this week when I spotted the tang sticking out from behind some miscellenious stuff and pulled it out to see what it was... I immediatly set about finishing the sword.

Oakeshott Type: Unclassified type
Overall Length: 36-1/4 inches
Blade Length: 30-5/8 inches
Blade width @ Base: 1-7/8 inches
Blade Width 3 inches from point: 1-1/8 inches
Blade Thickness @ Base: .182 inch
Blade Thickness 3 inches from Point: .090 inch
Hilt Overall Length: 5-9/16 inches
Length of Handle: 4 inches
Pommel Type: A
Guard Type: 1
Center of Gravity: 5-1/2 inches from guard
Location of Blade Node (measured from Guard): approx. 21-3/4 inches
Primary Hilt Node: approx. 1/2 inch from cross on handle
Weight: 2lbs

Sword in the style of the late Viking or Early Medieval period. Blade is an Unclassified Type, somewhat between a Type X and a Type XII. Blade is 5160 spring steel hardened to HRc52, then selectively drawn down to HRc45-48 through the tang. The blade has a straight distal taper. The guards and pommel are made from 1018-1020 mild steel. The handle is sandwiched hardwood with risers at the top, bottom and center. The handle is wrapped in real linen cord then covered in brown Chrome-tanned leather. The hilt is secured by passing the tang through the 'Brazil-Nut' pommel and riveting the tip of the tang over the pommel. The sword is currently provided with a Natural leather scabbard reinforced at the throat and chape; A leather-covered wooden scabbard with metal fittings can be provided at additional cost.

Swords of this type were in use at the time of the Norman Invasion of England in 1066. This particular sword has a blade somewhere between a type X and a type XII. While the sword is quite thin in cross section it does not feel at all 'whippy' and has good 'blade presence.' The sword feels very light and agile in the hand and with it's thin cross-section and forward balance should make an excellent cutting sword.

More information here:http://tinkerswords.com/forsale.html

Michael 'Tinker' Pearce
-------------
Then one night, as my car was going backwards through a cornfield at 90mph, I had an epiphany...
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(5 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 13 Jul, 2011 12:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lovely, and quite fairly priced for a one-of-a-kind work. This is right up my alley (indeed I already have a few like it) and am tempted except for my personal preference for larger, heavier versions of this type. Swords like this seem plain at first glance, but the more you get to know them, the more one appreciates the subtle grace that arises from their brutally simple function. I have been admiring your work for a long time and certainly hope to own one of your originals some day, although currently Craig Johnson and I are involved in a long term sword relationship. Big Grin
Michael Pearce
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jul, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks J.D.! Lately I too have had a preference for the larger, heavier versions myself- In fact I just completed a 34 inch blade- 2-3/4pound type Xa very similar to this sword for a customer. It was interesting to work with a blade from a largely by-gone era in my work when I made a lot of very light-weight swords. Once I have some pictures of that one online I'll have to put those up too; it makes an interesting contrast.
Michael 'Tinker' Pearce
-------------
Then one night, as my car was going backwards through a cornfield at 90mph, I had an epiphany...
Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul, 2011 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Better Late than Never!         Reply with quote

I love the fittings on this sword! To my eye, they are austere, beautifully formed and well balanced. Obviously this sword isn't meant for some court dandy, it's simply meant to cut.

Michael Pearce wrote:
There's a bit of a story with this sword- for one thing I'm not quite sure when I started the blade... years ago (7-9?) [...] Things piled up as they do and the blade remained forgotten until this week when I spotted the tang sticking out from behind some miscellaneous stuff and pulled it out to see what it was...

What a wonderful story. I think this was the blade's intention all along as they can be a little naughty and sneaky. It needed time (9 years!) to “ferment”. Wink

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(5 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul, 2011 11:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Pearce wrote:
Thanks J.D.! Lately I too have had a preference for the larger, heavier versions myself- In fact I just completed a 34 inch blade- 2-3/4pound type Xa very similar to this sword for a customer. It was interesting to work with a blade from a largely by-gone era in my work when I made a lot of very light-weight swords. Once I have some pictures of that one online I'll have to put those up too; it makes an interesting contrast.

Mmmm - looking forward to seeing that one. Looking back at your picture archives you've put out some very fine earlier-medieval types every once in a while...and I think your strong feel for no excess weight, geometry and mass distribution in some ways is even more important in big cutters, which otherwise could get pretty unweildy. Also loving the mirror finish!
M. Parrish

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jul, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have had the pleasure of handling this sword. While the look would make it seem large or perhaps towards the heavier side, I found it to be light and lively and a real pleasure to hold and move. As it stands, it has been dwelling in my thought, making me think I may have to add it upon pain to my wallet.
Benjamin Rial

PostPosted: Thu 20 Oct, 2011 9:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Beautiful work! I haven't done many of the earlier period sword designs.
"The only thing new in this world is the history we don't know."-Pres. Harry S. Truman

www.forgedintime.com

Vel Arte, Vel Marte

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Better Late than Never!
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic