Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > 13th Century German Foot Soldiers Kit Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jul, 2011 2:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pretty much what they all said! I just want to emphasize that a lot might depend on whatever group you end up joining. Some are much more strict on historical accuracy, and (for example) might not allow a gambeson made of cotton canvas (though I agree that one looks best of the choices you listed). Sticking to historical fabrics (linen and wool) may cost more initially, but you will never regret the expense, and if you make the garments at all correctly, you won't have to replace everything at some point when you or your group leader decides they are not accurate enough.

I might mention my own humble Midgard page:

http://www.larp.com/midgard/

It is aimed mainly at beginners, and focuses mostly on the Hastings era, but things like the hosen and braies are applicable for a much wider span of time and space. I firmly believe that with a decent tunic and a pair of hosen and braies and decent shoes, you will be at least adequately dressed for time span of about 500 years. Obviously if you use a distinctly 13th century tunic, it won't be as good for Viking stuff, and if you use Viking-era trim it won't do for the 13th century. That's why most of my tunics are plain! As you do more research and get more stuff, you'll be able to slant your impression in one direction or the other, or simply accumulate enough stuff that you can do 3 or 4 different impressions simply by changing accessories, or by having entirely different kits for everything! (The technical term is "time slut"!)

Oh, for slightly cheaper axes that are acutally hand-forged rather than cast and painted, look at 18th century "suttlers" (merchants) such as Townsend:

http://jas-townsend.com/index.php?cPath=20_59

Others include G. Gedney Godwin, Crazy Crow, Track of the Wolf, Avalon Forge, etc. Naturally most of what they carry is later than medieval, but things like hatchets can cross centuries quite nicely, and they may offer fabrics, trim and tape, horn cups and combs, eating ware, etc.

Have fun!

Matthew
John Apsega

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jul, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I stand corrected I apologize for relying to heavily on the work of others bad habits that I have picked up on other sword forums no excuses really. However I found a nifty site to use if I am going to do a viking kit.

http://www.hurstwic.org/history/text/history.htm
and another site which I lost that deals with sagas.

I apologize once I actually pick what kit I am going to do I will post some of my progress.

Thank you guys very much Ill ask anything else I cant find the answer to through my own research.

Thank you
John

"With 2000 years of examples behind us we have no excuse when fighting, for not fighting well." T. E. Lawrence
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jul, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

John Apsega wrote:
I stand corrected I apologize for relying to heavily on the work of others bad habits that I have picked up on other sword forums no excuses really. However I found a nifty site to use if I am going to do a viking kit.

Obviously doing your own research is the way to go to deepen your knowledge but asking questions here at least gives you an idea where to start. Wink

As suggested, do " searches " on the Forums here and also make sure to read the feature articles and reviews as you may find a lot of what you are looking for there, and maybe even find answers to questions you didn't have enough knowledge to ask in the first place.

I think that most of us can appreciate your enthusiasm and are glad to help although we won't do all the real follow up work for you, but don't " sweat it " we are a very friendly and helpful bunch and not offended. Wink Big Grin Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Roderick Stacey

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jul, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Mainz Gospel is also a good source from 1250 if German gear is the go!

Also the Eneasroman.

Last edited by Roderick Stacey on Tue 12 Jul, 2011 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Roderick Stacey

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jul, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

P. Cha wrote:
Umm...so how down on your luck and poor are you going for here again? The helm and shield is like 200 years out of date and as such while plausible that it could have seen use in the 13th cent is highly inaccurate as armor of that that era. That is to say, a soldier in 1250 may have used such items, but anyone who sees your kit will think hastings...not 13th century.

Unless he is a philistine from the Mack bible! Just needs the round shield.
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul, 2011 10:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mikael Ranelius wrote:
If you ask me I think you could go for a buckler if you're planning to fight with some kind of spear, polearm or missile weapon as your main weapon, which leaves little or no room for a "proper" shield.
[

This is not true. There are numerous images from the Middle Ages which show otherwise; two such are here. The first is from the Rochester Bestiary, circa 1230. The other is from an early 12th century manuscript.

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...ut+pommels
Justin Lee Hunt

PostPosted: Fri 15 Jul, 2011 3:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I recommend a starter kit based on the era that interests you most. Then as was stated earlier, accessorize. My kits all started off of a gorget and pauldrons. And now, some ten years later, I have a kit for crusades all the way up through the late mid-to-late14C. Many of the pieces are interchangable within reason. The group you join will have a lot to with what types of things you go with. Our troupe has a great deal of wiggle room on armor for sport combatants, those of use that do shows are required to hold to a more period standard. All fighters have to have their kit cleared with the official trainers for combat in the troupe (of which I am one), but that's more for safety than accuracy. We require at least historical inspiration, but that is a VERY loose term. We have one of our female fighters right now trying to convert a vietnam era army helmet into an archer's sallet, and a removable coat liner into a gambeson. I'm trying my best to help her, but let's just say that it's a daunting task. Everyone has to start somewhere.
I opperate a website for my reenactment troop it's www.orderoftherouseclan.org Be sure to check out our forums www.orderoftherouseclan.proboards.com
Sander Alsters

PostPosted: Fri 15 Jul, 2011 5:36 am    Post subject: dutch mercenary         Reply with quote

Hey guys! I was wondering if someone knew something of the kit used by dutch mercenarys. I know that like the Flemish they usually opperated as pikeman. Im especially interested of the region around Venlo in southern Holland. Im from their and believe the region belonged to the HRE for a while. Im having difficulty finding info about the arms and armour used of this (like mentioned in ot of articles) top of the line mercenarys. The time period would be 13th or 14th century. I know its a wide time span but any info would do!

ps sorry for messing up the thread a little bit!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > 13th Century German Foot Soldiers Kit
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: