Rev-war hangers - picture request
Hi guys,

for a project with an original blade, I´m looking for pictures of original Rev-war/ mid-to late 18th cent infantry hangers. What I´m especially fond of, are not the regular military pieces with a brass-cast guard & grip, but simple hangers with iron guards and grips made from wood or antler.

I´ve had a look on existing threads, but didn´t find much.

A million thanks in advance.
I doubt you will find a copy of Neuman's book in Germany... try the hisotircal image bank http://www.historicalimagebank.com/
"Swords & Blades form the American Revolution"
Hi Christopher,

thanks for the link. Although I didn´t find anything for my hanger project there, there were some very interesting pics from other project from the era.

I tried to ger Newmanns book via a librarby, unfortunately, I can´t get hold of it. Of course I could order it via Amazon, but before I spend sth. around 60-7o€ for something I would not need after all, I´d like to know if it would be helpful.

It would be splendid, if someone here could comment on the book´s contents and maybe post one or two images from it.

What I´m especially looking for, is the type of sword described on Kyle Willyard´s webpage as an "American hanger" with a guard broader than a single linge loop.

Thanks a lot,
Tomasz
For the variety of possibilities, Neumann's Swords and Blades of the American Revolution is really a great flash card type of cataloging covering all of the 18th century.. The book circulates on Ebay as well (another place to look at period swords). Of all the books one should have for swords of the 18th century, it is a must have as a place to start. A bargain compared to more focused books that cost twice, three times and more. The accuracy lacks a bit in some definitions but it is a better ballpark than some others. Stay for the hangers but keep it on a shelf for regular use for many sword (and other blades) types.

Some of the military museums of Europe online also have pages of 18th century infantry stuff.

Some links on the front page here
http://www.myArmoury.com/links.html

Cheers

GC
Some not so random pages from the book I already have uploaded. There is also a long thread on the index of this board for 18th century swords that may have some pictures of use.

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=22144

Arghhh, waddle over to the shelf and see how many are listed as hangers in his book ;)

Swords 1-83 are listed as hangers 84-125 listed as hunting swords 126-195 are listed as short sabers Pages 62-126 prefaced with a dozen pages of generalities including scabbards and carriage illustrations. Then there are smallswords, horsemean's baskets galore cutlass and another hundred pages. ;) Polearms as well with some badly described knives.

Glikerson's Boarders Away is good as well.

Cheers

GC

oh, only 15 are labeled as American hangers

Post a picture of your blade if you can.

Honest, if there is any serious interest in the period, the book is worth having. It is well worth the coin, in my opinion.

Attachment: 58.13 KB
354.jpg

Attachment: 74.69 KB
Beasts 001.jpg

Attachment: 52.85 KB
Beasts 002.jpg

Attachment: 64.79 KB
Beasts 003.jpg

Attachment: 65.9 KB
Gear.jpg

Attachment: 66.31 KB
s4041.jpg

Attachment: 58.86 KB
VOCNSAM 005w.jpg

You asked about hangers and you illustrated sabers. Not the same thing, of course. From all the research I've done over the years, I don't believe antler or horn grips were used in the 1775-1783 period, they tend to be much earlier. By this time hangers for infantry regiments were falling out of favor and were usually only carried by grenadier companies and musicians. Regiments with yellow metal used brass hilts and those with silver metal used iron hilts. Even then, genadier companies usually carried more elaborate hilts and some regiments, such as the Royal Welch Fusiliers had grips that were cast into a regimental motiff.
I had posted images already loaded and really don't relate but are an exmple of how the book is set up.

A general image search such as Google American hanger sword offers a lot of hits and pictures.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=o...amp;tab=pi
Rev. War hangers - picture request
Tomasz,
If you go to Sailor in Saddle's website (www.sailorinsaddle.com) you can find photos of American Revolutionary War hangers as requested. Here's an example:
[ Linked Image ]
This sword sounds like it fits your description "simple hangers with iron guards and grips made from wood or antler. " . I suspect it's a hanger of that time but I really have no way knowing. I've done some researching on it and have found other similar to it but not exactly. These are the quick and dirty pictures (just so it would actually get done and not put off) I can take better ones if need be.

Attachment: 122.85 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 91.45 KB
[ Download ]
Thanks for the posts so far, guys.

Shahril, great link, thanks. Now I have to control myself not to spend a big load of money on their stuff ;-)

Derek, yes, basically the sword you´ve posted is the kind I´m looking for. The project will be delayed though, because after looking a little bit closer to some pics, I found that my blade would not fit the hanger: the design is simply wrong, the blade is too late for such a sword.

Therefore I´m looking for a new, better blade and have finally ordered Newmans "Swords and Blades of the American Revolution" from a US-dealer (even with postage & customs fee, it´s cheaper than buying it here in Germany).

Regards,
Tomasz
Dmitry is the owner of the Sailor In Saddle site and aside from posting on several forums, also has Ebay listings.
http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/sailor_in_saddle

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/profile.php?mod...mp;u=15296

The Neumann book and others are often on Ebay as well and at regular retail prices.

Cheers

GC

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: