Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Australian Customs: when is a sword a "trench knife"? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
William P

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jul, 2011 2:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christopher Lee wrote:
So, what do you all think; is the atlanta cutlery D-guard bowie a trench knife, sword, machete or just a plain large knife? I wonder if i should just chance it anyway and if it gets intercepted i can always just apply for a permit retrospectively?

i dunno, id ALMOST say tench knife..
http://www.tooveys.com/lots.asp?WEBLOTID=165522&LOTID=907 this one for example ooks pretty sword like even though at 22.75cm
the d guard bowie is 23 inches, or nearly 60 cm. i realise this isnt a wakizashi, but generally in japan, somethings blade length of less than 2 feet but longer than 1 was classified as a kodachi or short showrd, wth tantos being of a blade ength of less than 1foot and katana being of more than 2 feet. so this should be classified possibly as a short sword. being blade length of 18 inches so id say large knife/ machete but that knuckle ow DOES distinguish this from a normal utilitaran large knife, as being something crafted with the intention of being used in combat. so its more a weapon than a tool.

naturally a simple way to solve part of the issue would be to introduce a minimum length law to be classified as a trench knife since your ww1 trench knife was generally not very long. there were exceptions of course, but naturally the trench knife is meant to be a dirty close quarter weapon and not all ww1 knives listed when i googled trench knife HAD a knuckle bow at all.

as for ignoring the giant length of steel over the knukle bow.. well its often that knukle bow that seperates a regular survival or utilty knife which are legal and necesary, and something often clearly indended to be used for fghting.
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jul, 2011 2:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad was exactly correct, this thread was getting way too political and I was a big part of that. However, feeling strongly about what I had already written and knowing I all along it was political at the time, instead of erasing I tried to gear back to the collection aspect at the end of my post, yet I still gave in to another zinger before closing.
Ah my character defects are a constant self struggle and I imagine this was an immense part of "Knighthood"! Lust must surely been one of them, amongst many others! Henceforth, is it any wonder so many an able bodied man flocked to the call of the pope for crusade in 1095 AD!
Speaking only for myself, it is a passionate man who seeks the finest of swords his bankroll will allow and such a man is much given and driven to seek fairness and righteousness, which translates into politics and the lair of the dragon or demon! Which in the end of different minds and cultures the call to battle, sword, shield, armor then set upon horse hast he ridden!

Sorry about my part in that chat, my apologies to Chad and Nathan most truly are given!
By the way, sorry about the Type errors that result from this smartphone! I do try to come back and clean them up, as they look as though I was intoxicated. Pretty hard to get drunk from plain old Mountain Dew! LOL
Bob

"The Knight Of Madness"

It IS What It IS! Only In Truth, Can Reality Exist!
To "Learn" we must empty our minds and therefore open our mind and spirit. A wet sponge absorbs no water. A preconceived mind is recalcitrant to new knowledge!
Mick Jarvis

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jul, 2011 4:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christopher Lee wrote:
So, what do you all think; is the atlanta cutlery D-guard bowie a trench knife, sword, machete or just a plain large knife? I wonder if i should just chance it anyway and if it gets intercepted i can always just apply for a permit retrospectively?

personally i would class it as a Trenchie and not bother with getting it.

you could go for a permit for it and see how that goes.

i just have no faith in Aussie customs after i got in trouble for trying to import a "hand claw" which was a replica nightmare on elm street glove made by the guy that made the original in the 1st movie. it wasnt sharp or anything.

so i would forget it or try for a permit
Taylor Ellis

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jul, 2011 4:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The permits are not hard to get. Sure, it's a bit of a pain, but it doesn't cost anything and you won't be refused if you don't have a criminal record.
Benjamin Floyd II

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jul, 2011 7:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I wonder if a handle with spikes coming out from between each finger would be banned. It does increase the power of the punch, but it would not protect your fingers, nor does it go over them. It might be classified as a push dagger though.
Ralph Grinly

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jul, 2011 2:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Personally, I'd consider that Atlanta Cultlery D guard bowie DOES fall into the "Trench Knife" classification. So, unless you can get an import permit I'd say it's a no-no Sad However..thats not to say you couldn't get a similar guardless bowie of similar size with out problem - and then ADD a home made guard. There are lots of places you can purchase bare blades and fittings for knives.
Mick Jarvis

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jul, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Benjamin Floyd II wrote:
I wonder if a handle with spikes coming out from between each finger would be banned. It does increase the power of the punch, but it would not protect your fingers, nor does it go over them. It might be classified as a push dagger though.

a push dagger is classed as any blade or spike that extends from the handle in a way to be used with a punching action.
Timo Nieminen

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jul, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Given that you asked Customs already, and that Customs said it's considered a "trench knife", the options are to (a) go without, (b) get a permit to import, or (c) buy from an Australian seller (more expensive, but less paperwork).

I've found Customs to be quite reasonable, but it's their job to apply the law as it is, and if the law says it's a "trench knife", that's how they deal with it. Considering that the legislation could be interpreted to cover any sword with a knuckle guard, basket hilt, or similar, and these can usually be imported without problem, Customs is being moderate, rather than being as strict as they could.

It isn't what I'd call a "trench knife". Lots of non-knuckle-guard trench knives. But the usual trench knife is covered by the "dagger" category; this "trench knife" category targets knuckle-duster knives (bass knuckle knives), and the best-known examples of knuckle-duster knives are trench knives.

"In addition to being efficient, all pole arms were quite nice to look at." - Cherney Berg, A hideous history of weapons, Collier 1963.
Mick Jarvis

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jul, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

the general rule i use is that if you think it will be an issue with customs chances are it will.

there are some good aussie dealers arouond (www.urbanconquest.com.au) is one of the best. ask him if he is able to get this or something similar in for you

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Australian Customs: when is a sword a "trench knife"?
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: