A hand forged scent stopper pommel
well guys I've been working towards making a scent stopper pommel in the forge for a while now. I have had one previous attempt that while it was pretty good in general shape it was not usable but I have just finished my second one and THIS one is very good looking. THIS one will go on a sword. haven't decided which one yet but it will go on a sword for sure. take a look:

still needs the tang hole drilled out but that's easy, and a little better finish I think but other than those two things this baby is ready to go on a sword.

so what do you all think? how's that for a hand forged part?

these will be available eventually, this is a sneak peak into the future.
This looks great to me. :D

While you're on the topic of sneak peeks, wanna share with us some info about what type of sword will be featuring this pommel?
being a hand forged custom piece I don't foresee making them a standard part of any sword but I will definitely offer them as a custom add-on for any sword that it is appropriate for. this exact pommel may end up on the tail end of a XVIa.3 depending on if the customer wants it.

it is real easy to adjust the weight of these so there's really no limit to which swords they could be put on. I suppose if a guy wanted to put one on a type Xa he could but I certainly don't expect that to be the case. I would be happy to make them for newly commissioned swords as well as swords already in existence.

Also I expect that every one I make will be slightly different so I really don't want to make it a standard part.

very soon we will be releasing a redesigned web site and one of the new things offered on it will be the ability to freely cange guards and pommels between a selection of Gus made parts but I'll also put my occasional personal hand-forged works up on the site for people to pick over.

I'm still new at this so I'm trying to avoid a situation where I have to meet promises made. for a while I'm going to occasionally just crop up with ready to go stuff. eventually I hope to be able to take commissions on hand forged parts but I want more practice before I do that.

this pommel has been brought up to a smooth 400+ grit finish now and is going higher to get that really nice satiny finish.
Looks good Tom!

The ideas for the website sound good too.
Tom Kinder wrote:
being a hand forged custom piece I don't foresee making them a standard part of any sword but I will definitely offer them as a custom add-on for any sword that it is appropriate for. this exact pommel may end up on the tail end of a XVIa.3 depending on if the customer wants it.

Very nice work and since they are hand made they could be offered by themselves for DIY projects in non-standard dimensions made for a specific project in mind in this shape or in other pommel shapes.

Totally as an aside: I really like making my own walking sticks and modified for a much larger " socket " than for a sword tang I could see myself ordering one of these at least depending on price. ( Mounted with a large diameter socket or a smaller hole using a steel pin to joint pommel to walking stick shaft ).
thanks Jean,

I should be able to make a wide variety of sizes. as for your walking stick, I would guess that the pin method would work best but I guess that depends on how large the socket needs to be.

this one sold for $150 and I feel that was a fair price for the work. in fact I have never worked so hard for $150 in my life, but it was fun work so I got more than money out of it.
Scent stopper pommels aren't my thing, but that looks as nice as any I've seen.

(I also like the Peddinghaus straight peen. That's actually what I'm lusting after. :p )

-Grey
Greyson Brown wrote:
Scent stopper pommels aren't my thing, but that looks as nice as any I've seen.

(I also like the Peddinghaus straight peen. That's actually what I'm lusting after. :p )

-Grey

Thank you,

I really like that hammer. I don't know if it is a Peddinghaus though, it is French for sure and I got it from Kayne & Sons, here's the link: https://www.blacksmithsdepot.com/page.php?theLocation=/Resources/Product/Hammers/Straight_Peen_Hammers.xml/

they don't tell me what the brand name is but that's ok with me as long as it works well and it really does.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: