myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > A big fan of swords Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Thu 01 Aug, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
I really need to get off my ass and sell more of this stuff. I need the space!

I'd be willing to save you the trouble of selling them and just take the whole lot off your hands, if that helps? Happy

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 01 Aug, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This brings to mind a current going on in my life.

Two years ago my father in law passed away. Mom has decided to sell the house, a very smart move on her part, given her situation. However, we're having a hard time getting her to let go of anything, and I do mean *anything*. Everything from a china hutch to boxes of occupant mail seem to have some kind of sentimental value. My in-laws weren't rich people by any stretch of the imagination and most of this stuff is shear junk. I'm not talking about, "One mans junk is another's treasure." I really do mean worthless flotsam, but we just can't seem to get her to make the leap. We've spent a lot of time at the house helping her sift through all of it, and the frustration is rising. She's never been a strong individual emotionally and is prone to fits of depression. I've suggested some kind of counseling might be needed, and we're going to get the pastor of her church involved. Her situation is a prime example of how someone can emotionally attach themselves to material objects, and how it can be a detriment to their life. Sentimentality is one thing but forming a false sense of security from inanimate objects, as well as getting ones identity caught up in them, is a dangerous thing.

If anything I tend to get caught up in a bit of sellers remorse. I don't have trouble letting go of things if there's a need, but I do tend to question the decision after the fact. For me, the desire to keep my collection at a manageable level comes from several areas. First, prices on quality work have risen to the point where it's moving out of my logical comfort zone. There are far more practical things I could spend my money on. Perhaps less enjoyable, but certainly more practical and beneficial in the long run. Therefore, the collection tends to be naturally self regulating in that I typically sell something to buy something else. I recently ordered a new production sword. My wife was fine with me ordering it out of hand, but in the end I just couldn't justify the rational of depleting the bank account by nearly $1500.00. So in the end something was sold to finance something else. With all of the kids now on their own we have more disposable income, but perhaps there are smarter ways to spend it?

Second, if I were to suddenly shake off this mortal coil I don't want to leave my wife with a big burden. I've known people with very large collections of whatever, and after their passing their spouse has been left with the sizeable burden of what to do with all that "stuff". My firearms collection normally hovers around fifteen to twenty pieces, with the edged weapons collection at around twelve to fifteen. Everything is cataloged as to relative value, and there's a list of contacts for my wife to use should she need to sell. This allows me to enjoy a range of designs, yet keeps things at a manageable level.

This is where my head's at in terms of buying selling and accumulating.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Thu 01 Aug, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh no you don't, Mikko ! Remember, Nathan......That Lowlander is mine! Your SW-11 also! Laughing Out Loud ....McM
Greg Ballantyne

PostPosted: Sun 04 Aug, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My "collection" isn't nearly what yours is, and I made some not so good procuring decisions early on. Perhaps the day will come when I want to be rid of a mistake, but that day hasn't come yet. I can see myself in a similar condition one day, without the slightest desire to liquidate..... not that any of this helps, and plenty of others have expressed envy.....but I'm still envious anyway - hard not to be a fan of a big fan. I say keep them all if that's what you'd really like to do.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 04 Aug, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm going to try to keep my collection focused on just a couple of custom makers and styles. Since I'm having a hard time making choices, taking photos, typing up descriptions and figuring out what I want to ask for some of this stuff, I'll do this for now.

Should anyone want to make an offer on any of the items below, please send me a private message. Serious offers only, please. I need to downsize the collection and raise some cash for some quality of life improvements such as purchasing a home.

Please note that I'm not entirely convinced I'll let these go, but if the offer is right, I'll jump all over it.

Listed below are some of my highest-end, best quality pieces:

TEMPL Schiavona
Original: Venetian, circa 1750

This is the finest quality modern-made Schiavona I've seen, and I've handled more examples than almost anyone. It's made by Czech Republic maker Patrick Bárta of TEMPL Historic Arms. The hilt components are hand-forged from 300-year-old iron using traditional methods such as forge-welding. It's exquisite. Good luck trying to convince Patrick Bárta to make another one of these. I know of two people who have asked and they were both denied. This is the last compound-hilted piece I've seen him make and it was created years ago. The blade is of Type XIX and is as finely detailed as t he basket. The scabbard alone is a work of art!

Vince Evans Basket-hilted Saber
Original: Scottish, circa 1690; blade likely German, dated 1662

Finding a basket-hilted saber reproduction of this style is exceedingly rare. More rare is finding one at this quality. Vince Evans is a premier high-end maker and this example is extremely fine. Be prepared to make an equally impressive offer for this one.

Antique Type 2b Schiavona
Original: Venetian, circa 1750-80

This is a Venetian Schiavona of very good condition with a complex and ornate "cat's head" pommel. The grip and its leather covering appears to be original. The guard has several markings, one looking to read IM-C near the cross-guard's end. It's mounted with a long, still sharp rapier-like blade of lenticular cross-section with a short fuller. There's a slight play to the guard as its mounted, but overall is very strong and in-tact.

Overall length: 42". Blade length: 36". Additional photos available upon request.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Richard Eskite

PostPosted: Mon 05 Aug, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mikko Kuusirati wrote:
Nathan Robinson wrote:

I'd be willing to save you the trouble of selling them and just take the whole lot off your hands, if that helps? Happy

That's funny. One of those swords is hanging on the wall behind me as I type this. Thanks, Nathan.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 05 Aug, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Richard Eskite wrote:
Mikko Kuusirati wrote:
Nathan Robinson wrote:

That's funny. One of those swords is hanging on the wall behind me as I type this. Thanks, Nathan.

I've realized I enjoy that quite a bit. Letting go is tough for me, but I have only really had seller's remorse once or twice. It helps to know that these items go onto new paths and into the hands of like-minded people who enjoy them.

Thanks for reminding me of this. Happy

If I can help you add to your wall o' swords, let me know!

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
D. S. Smith

PostPosted: Mon 05 Aug, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stephen Curtin wrote:
...OR do you want a collection with one of each, and if its the latter then pick one sword from each category and sell that.

Stephen hit the nail on the head as to how I'd do it. When I have too many of a good thing and something needs to go for cash, I use this method. One handgun, one rifle, one shotgun, etc. That isn't what my current firearms collection consists of, but it's an example of showing how I reduce sizes.

Your sword collection is very beautiful, but all a lot later in period than my interests. Actually my interests are more fiction related, but closest to the early medieval ages.

One thing I have found is that when I've had to weed out collections in the past, it makes me appreciate the ones I do keep that much more. Mentally, instead of "all those swords", they individually become heirlooms that I dream about passing to my grandchildren, and taking excellent care of. A current example of this that I have is tents. I have three extremely high quality tents from one of (if not the) best expedition tent makers in the world. Back when I only had one, it meant the world to me. Now that I have three, I can't even decide which one to bring on trips, and none of them mean as much to me as that first one did when I got it.
Ed Toton

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 15 Aug, 2013 8:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Somehow I neglected to post my "fan of swords" photos here. Happy Images are clickable for a larger view:

-Ed T. Toton III
ed.toton.org | ModernChivalry.org
My armor photos on facebook

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > A big fan of swords
Page 4 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: