myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > A big fan of swords Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next 
Thomas R.

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jul, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Nathan,

I can understand your dilemma. It's not easy to part with stuff, one has accumulated over years. Every piece, may it be a sword, a comic or whatever one does collect, has it's own history of admiring, hunting it down, and keeping it. Sometimes simply the interest of a collector shifts and that makes it more easy to part with such formerly loved pieces. Or the collector specializes in one specific segment of his hobby, so he can let go of things, which do not fit into this new segment (well some years later, he'll face again a crowded room with collectibles... Wink )

Nevertheless, I find it sometimes very relieving, to part with things. Every piece you don't own is a thing you don't have to worry again about. No more polishing, no more room taken up, no worries about burglars stealing it. If you look closely at your collection, you will see, that you don't need most of the pieces, but that there are two or three blades, which do really matter to you. Try to find these and keep them. Sell the rest, start a new collection, just do it. Don't spare an antique just, because it's valuable. Sell it, if you don't need it. But keep this one replica, you always liked to handle or just to look on. Happy

Sometimes we collectors do buy stuff, we don't really need, but think is needed to complete a collection (e.g. "one of every kind") or just to impress other collectors. You will feel, which items these are, I am sure. And remember then: you had that feeling of being envied or praised for your taste (we all have these feelings sometimes, I guess. it's just one of many facets of our hobby). The item has now fulfilled it's task. So you can let it go now. The memories of it can't be sold. They are always yours.

Hope I was of some help,
best wishes, Thomas

http://maerenundlobebaeren.tumblr.com/
Jean-Carle Hudon

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jul, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject: a basket case...         Reply with quote

I counted six schiavonnas, correct me if I'm wrong, as I wasn't always sure given the number of basket and/or complex hilts, so you do qualify as a basket case, or at least a case of basket-fixation. Great picture and lovely collection.
Now, as regards real vs replica, Markus certainly was blunt, as was the russian sword expert when last I posted seeking help with the value of two ''russian'' swords.
As you may have read, I decided to keep them as only one was real, the dragoon sabre, whereas the 1839 cuirassier was a repro in which the russian sword expert had no interest whatsoever, to the point that he would not even assign a value to it, whereas the real dragoon sabre was quoted as between 500 and 600 dollars, less than the value of a good quality repro.
It would seem to me that we have two parallel market places, which rely on totally different standards and have completely divergent views on what has value.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and Behold! Your collection is beautiful, at least to my eyes...

Bon coeur et bon bras
David Wilson

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jul, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I know exactly what you mean and exactly how you feel, Nathan.... my collection is actually a bit larger than yours, to tell the truth... not bragging, just sayin' is all.... and I feel I have reached saturation point. I can't go much further. I am out of room and the money just ain't what it used to be (common complaint with a lot of folks, these days).

I have sold -- or given away -- about 15 swords, and I have a few others on the "chopping block", so to say. But that still leaves me with a sizeable accumulation. But of those remaining swords, I like them all to varying degrees. So it makes decisions difficult.

And yes, most all of these are reproductions. So what? I didn't buy them as an investment, I bought them because I liked them. Oh well. My $.02, YMMV, etc.

Anyway, I currently have no "escape plan", no plans to seriously downsize. If I did, what would I sell? No, not the Vince Evans swords. Sorry.

And BTW you have an awesome collection, Nathan. Even if mine is bigger. Razz

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jul, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Any serious sword fan would envy Nathan's collection - and perhaps too easily make light of his dillema.

However, this is indeed is a scary post, because it asks the question - now that I have tons of super cool swords, just as I always dreamed of, where to go next? Having been through several different collecting phases in my own life -I won't name all the geeky things- it always seems to come down to this. How do you maintain interest when you get everything you originally dreamed of? It is the inevitable consequence of serious collecting.

I think this drives a lot of collectors to become more and more specialized. You, Nathan, have already somewhat narrowed down your period and geographic scope with a preference for complex hilts, and this could always go more narrow. But this can also reach a point of minutia - like only collecting swords with different variations of spelling of the same inscription? (I hope I didn't just insult someone, I just made that up off the top of my head). Where does that end?

I haven't had any problem getting rid of 20 or so swords in the past few years, but those were entry level pieces, not beauties like this. I also fear what will happen when my collecting space is completely full of 'perfect' pieces. I really don't want to loose interest like I did with previous collections, nor do I see myself spending big dollars on super-artistic or original pieces.

Back to you Nathan, I can think of two ways to approach this.

1) slowly go through all those lovelys and, one by one, pick out the ones that have special personal meaning for some reason. After picking about 15, the rest, no matter how good they are, can go.

2) if you are interested in a change in direction or specialization, visualize the ideal collection you would like to have 5 years from now. Then pick the ones that fit into that future collection and let the other ones go.

Good luck, Field Marshal.
David Kelly

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jul, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I obviously haven't been doing this long enough to "hit the wall".

Last edited by David Kelly on Wed 06 Jul, 2011 2:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Zach Gordon

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jul, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was moving my less cared about swords into storage lockers because I can't fit them all into my dorm room. In doing so I started adding up the prices of my "overflow" swords.... $52,000
I am not sure how it got that high, I have been buying them slowly over 5 years but it never seemed like I spent that much! Still need to add in the price of my real collection. Probobally around another 10k.

I only spent $1,200 on my car, and pretty much just eat Ramen, maybe I need to rethink my priorities?

Z
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jul, 2011 10:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Kelly wrote:

I obviously haven't been doing this long enough to "hit the wall".

How could you hit your wall with all those swords in the way...? Eek!
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jul, 2011 5:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

An off-the-cuff culling--red goes:

Attachment: 214.39 KB
nathan_collection2011a_s.jpg

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jul, 2011 5:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

One way to know what your heart wants to do when your head can make up it's mind:

A) Chose a sword at random, flip a coin heads you keep, tails you sell.

B) if it comes up tails and should go and you feel like going 3 out of 5 and then if it goes 3 times tails and you decide to try for 4 out of seven ......... well in that case the coin toss tells you that you really want to keep it because you are really disappointed that the coin flip gave you tails.

C) Now at least if you do this to each piece of your collection you can put into the sell bin those that came up heads and didn't cause a lump in your throat and a panicky nooooooooooooooooo ! Not that one Eek! Cry Wink .

D) If you end up not wanting to get rid of anything then it becomes much more painful but can still be done if you really have no choice but to sell.

E) if storage and display is the main issue, due to lack of space, then do what Museum collections do: Have a few pieces well displayed and the rest in storage ! Even a large collection can fit into a large closet dedicated to only your swords.

F) Money wise you probably don't have to sell anything unless you're financially in trouble, but you might have to forget about buying more pieces.

G) There is nothing more motivational to sell a piece if the money is to go to something you want more ! ( At times, later, you can kick yourself when the one(s) you sold comes back to haunt you as more appealing than the one(s) you sold them for.

Don't know if my coin toss idea works to make the decision but your reaction to the results does clarify to yourself how you feel about a particular piece. Wink

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jul, 2011 10:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Could go the slash and burn approach and churn it all out, and start it all over again! Cool

Kind of an ending and beginning thing that will break the attachment to these items. Some are easy to part with but it can eventually become a real challenge trying to define and only keep the best pieces. Best is subjective and it can change over time. Too much chance to second guess today's decision that way. Doing a reset and start over can make it easier to focus on what lies ahead rather than what is in the rear view mirror.

Most important comment I think I've seen so far in this discussion, is that whatever you do (probably to your surprise) you're most likely not going to miss this stuff once its gone. No matter how you decide to handle the parting exercise.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Michael Edelson

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jul, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This thread brings up a question...and please, I do not mean to offend anyone, but I am very curious.

Why do you collect swords if you don't train to use them, and why don't you train to use them if you have them? To me, the two are intricately linked. I cannot imagine them being separated. I do understand this to some extent. I have swords whose use I don't study (rapier, gladius, medieval single handers), but to me they are just different types of the thing I do study, and I know I can use them in a pinch, so there is still that physical conection. Even though, these swords are on the short list of things that I will sell if I need money (badly).

To me, this is a simple dillema...if you must get rid of some, get rid of the ones you don't use.

If I had to guess though, I'd say it was as works of art. They are beautiful, much more so than any painting or statue, at least to me. That makes reproduction swords the work of modern artists, and makes collecting them totally understandable. Am I close?

New York Historical Fencing Association
www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
http://newyorkbattodo.com/
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jul, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is a great question. I often say I will never own a sword I won't use except for an antique not in shape to be used... By "using" a sword I mostly mean cutting or thrusting with it. I think of cutting as a kind of training although I know it's only a part of a real training one should have. And I do have "Sigismund Ringeck's Knightly Art of the Longsword" book by Lindholm and Svard, but training with just a book without a partner or a trainer is not very productive in my experience and there is no group for historical fencing of any kind near me... So basically the answer is that owning swords and officially train with them is preferable for me but they are worth owning even with limited or no real training, but with fun of handling, cutting or just looking at their beauty...
Tony Brass

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jul, 2011 1:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is the problem with collecting. You only have too many swords if the number you have causes you to not enjoy them as much. If every time you look at your collection, the vastness of it causes you to feel that you are no longer as happy with collecting, it's time to get rid of some.

Everything you own somehow can end up owning you.

Although my collection is much smaller, I understand the issue. I fear the regret of selling a sword that I still enjoy. But I also miss the thrill of looking forward to my next sword. The thrill of building my collection and waiting for the next purchase. In truth once you have too many, justifying something new gets more difficult.

Then there is the issue of which one to sell. Sometimes I know that I enjoy that cheap, easily replaceable sword more than some expensive sword from a respected craftsman. So do I keep my MRL falcata that I love despite it's rust spots and shortcomings, and keep that custom sword I bought that just does not feel right??? The answer for me is no. This hobby has no practical application. It's a labor of enthusiasm. Keep what you love, and sell to buy new stuff. If you regret it later, so be it.
J.D. Crawford

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jul, 2011 4:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Edelson wrote:
If I had to guess though, I'd say it was as works of art. They are beautiful, much more so than any painting or statue, at least to me. That makes reproduction swords the work of modern artists, and makes collecting them totally understandable. Am I close?

Exactly, except part of the artistry is their functionality. So I agree that one needs at least some training to fully appreciate a sword. (Hopefully not to the point of being a master like yourself, or very few of us could ever hope to appreciate a sword).
Michael Edelson

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jul, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J.D. Crawford wrote:
Hopefully not to the point of being a master like yourself

Unless you mean that in the appropriate historically correct sense (meaning teacher), then I am about as far from a master as (insert appropriate analogy, I am tired). Happy

I hope my question did not come accross as being elitist, it certainly wasn't intended that way. I don't think everyone should see things the way I do, in fact I'm trying to broaden my horizons by asking the question. Maybe the answers will help me to appreciate my own small collection all the more.

I do find it very odd, however, that most collectors who own lots of quality reproduction sharps do not practice, while most people who practice do not own a single quality sharp sword. The two types should get together and fuse into a single being. Happy

www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
Brian K.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jul, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I started collecting swords to fulfill a childhood fantasy. Once my first sword was in hand, then it became an obsession with various types to see and feel how each type was different. Overall, in my eyes, it is my collection of 'art'. The sword is the picture, and the scabbard is the frame.

Do I use them? Not anymore. When I first started I did use them for some 'backyard' bottle torture. Do I use them now? Sure, but not for cutting or martial art. I use them for business purposes. In the event I ever needed to use a sword, it would be because I ran out of ammo. Big Grin

Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jul, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I go for art also in the sense that to me the harmonious proportions of a good sword are a treat to many senses: The eyes obviously, then the tactile feel of them and the kinetic uniqueness of each in it's handling. All of these can be appreciated to a degree even if one doesn't practice or even know the martial arts connected to their use.

There is also, for me a fascination/obsession with the design of swords and all weapons in general from all periods but I am currently focused on the Medieval & Renaissance European period.

As far as collecting is concerned I didn't need to add the learning of the use of the sword for me to value collecting, but at minimum it was getting a chance to experience having some fun with swords as a first motivation ( Little kid still in me having fun ) and getting some insight into the meaning of the, at times heated, discussions between the practitioners on various Topics here and on other web sites.

Getting semi competent, at least with the very basics, soon became rewarding.

Certainly, learning to use a sword is a second but equal to me centre of interest but my first love is still collecting.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Michael Edelson

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jul, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the great answers.

It occurs to me that reading about why other people collect may help Nathan decide which swords to get rid of.

www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jul, 2011 5:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Edelson wrote:
It occurs to me that reading about why other people collect may help Nathan decide which swords to get rid of.

That's why I'm sort of silent so far. I've got a lot to say, but it's been good for me to sit back and see where this goes.

By the way, nobody commented on my awesome topic title!

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Brian K.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jul, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I recognized your clever use of topic title with pic right off the bat, but like you I was just following along and seeing where this one went. But by the time I finally decided to comment, I had forgotten your clever title Razz
Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > A big fan of swords
Page 2 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: