Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Where to find a good baldrick?? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Chris Goerner

PostPosted: Thu 23 Sep, 2004 3:24 am    Post subject: Where to find a good baldrick??         Reply with quote

Hi folks. I am new to the forum, and am so thankful that Bill Goodwin turned me on to this site. What great information!

I am trying to find a source for historically accurate 18th century baldricks. In particular, I would like one for a basket hilt, but I have other 18th century reproductions that need a carriage as well. Anyone know of a good source? Thanks!

Sic Semper Tyranus
Robert W. Betten

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 23 Sep, 2004 3:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig Stitch, if he isnt too busy might be able to...I've seen his norse historic baldrics based on dig finds that he perfectly replicated. Give him a bell and he may be able to help you out...just send drawings or pictures with specifics like sizes etc of the baldric you want made and go from there.

http://www.manningimperial.com/ is his web site addy...

*!*
"If the people we love are taken from us,
the way they live on is to never stop loving
them. Buildings burn, people die, but real
love is forever."
- Sarah 'The Crow'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Thu 23 Sep, 2004 7:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Chris...dude, friend,compadre.....glad ya' finally made it! A thousand welcomes! I'll bring the one I had made tomorrow night and show. Celtic John (leather worker) here in the valley made mine. Also, for your set-up's, may want to check G.Gedney Godwin web-site or Jas. Townsend site (I just got a new catalog from Townsend, I'll bring to ya'). Yet, another place to look around will be "liming.org.revlist" lots of Rev-War stuff to be found there. Since your an official forumite now, you'll have to post some pic's of your Armour Class & Mad Piper basket-hilts. Sure the basket heads found here would enjoy having a looky at 'em.

Yours Aye,
Bill
aka William
Chris Goerner

PostPosted: Thu 23 Sep, 2004 3:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the warm welcome, Bill. I'd like to see the baldrick you mentioned.

I probably should have eliminated a few options I have already looked into in my original post. I am well acquainted with G. Gedney Godwin. Tina and Drew are great folks to deal with, and they offer some nice reproductions! Unfortunately, their Scottish baldrick is 3 3/8" wide -- much wider than any I've seen in 18th century artwork. I haven't seen any baldricks offered by Jas Townsend & Son, but then I haven't seen their latest catalog.

Maybe the Scotts enthusiasts on the forum can shed some light on round buckles for me as well. I have seen round brass buckles used on some baldricks by reenactors, but have yet to see a period painting depicting one. Are round buckles appropriate on 18th century Scottish baldricks, or should I avoid them?

Need to get my digital camera working again before I can post any photos of my sharp, pointy things. Sure have enjoyed seeing the photos posted by others on the forum.

Chris

Sic Semper Tyranus
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Thu 23 Sep, 2004 4:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm not sure that they're 18th century, but www.Silvermane.com makes good baldrics.
Scott H.

PostPosted: Fri 24 Sep, 2004 1:44 pm    Post subject: silvermane         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
I'm not sure that they're 18th century, but www.Silvermane.com makes good baldrics.

Roger-
That stuff looks pretty good for the price!! Have you (or anybody) bought any of their products? If so, are they of decent make and are they historically correct? Any info would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,
Scott
Markus Haider

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 25 Sep, 2004 1:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am very fond of my Baldrick made by Christian Fletcher. He surely can make a custom one too.

Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sat 25 Sep, 2004 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: silvermane         Reply with quote

Scott H. wrote:

Roger-
That stuff looks pretty good for the price!! Have you (or anybody) bought any of their products? If so, are they of decent make and are they historically correct? Any info would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,
Scott

I bought the one they call the Studded Baldric. It is a good quality product. I couldn't say how historically accurate it is.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Where to find a good baldrick??
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic