Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Full Metal Jousting... What? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next 
Ian Sturgess

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jun, 2011 8:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

HI Ned

If you are reading this is there going to be curators and historians guiding the producers along on how things happened, whats the situation with keeping things accurate.

Thanks

Ian
William Frisbee

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jun, 2011 8:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm reading that they are suppling the armour. According to the schedule, they will not have the final people for the show until a few weeks before filming starts...

How is someone going to be able to make SAFE, well fitting armour in that timeframe?

I'm a bit worried about this now and am not sure I am going to continue the application process. I know my new kit is good for the tilt, but since I don't know much about what they will be providing and my life is on the line... I have to ask what they really plan on doing.
Lloyd Clark

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jun, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William Frisbee wrote:
I'm reading that they are suppling the armour. According to the schedule, they will not have the final people for the show until a few weeks before filming starts...

How is someone going to be able to make SAFE, well fitting armour in that timeframe?

I'm a bit worried about this now and am not sure I am going to continue the application process. I know my new kit is good for the tilt, but since I don't know much about what they will be providing and my life is on the line... I have to ask what they really plan on doing.

From what I understand, the armourer supplying the armour has been making joust armour for nearly 20 years. I have owned and jousted in armour out of this armoury and it has always been rock solid. As to how they will fit 16 guys in a short period of time? That is a very good question.

Cheers,

Lloyd Clark
2000 World Jousting Champion
2004 World Jousting Bronze Medalist
Swordmaster
Super Proud Husband and Father!
William Frisbee

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jun, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thats my point Lloyd. My last full kit took about 5 weeks to make, not including the grand bascient. I had to send castings of my legs and forearms...

I have no doubt whomever the armourer is, can make armour, but can he make armour that fits ME the right way in that limited timeframe.

We all know off the shelf armour isn't.
Joshua Anthony

PostPosted: Tue 28 Jun, 2011 5:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I put my application in. God help me:-)
"...He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one." - Jesus, Luke 22:36
Ryan A. Currier

PostPosted: Tue 28 Jun, 2011 8:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm interesting in applying myself, but I would like to hear an expert opinion.... Lloyd? Lol

Would a 6'1'' 170lb string bean have any hopes of being a decent jouster? I imagine the field will end up being a bunch of big ole boys with massive arms, or something like that, so should I even bother?

Jousting is something I've always wanted to try, and I could sure as heck use the money... but would I even have a shot at surviving? Laughing Out Loud

Thanks!
Lloyd Clark

PostPosted: Tue 28 Jun, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ryan A. Currier wrote:
I'm interesting in applying myself, but I would like to hear an expert opinion.... Lloyd? Lol

Would a 6'1'' 170lb string bean have any hopes of being a decent jouster? I imagine the field will end up being a bunch of big ole boys with massive arms, or something like that, so should I even bother?

Jousting is something I've always wanted to try, and I could sure as heck use the money... but would I even have a shot at surviving? Laughing Out Loud

Thanks!

You should definitely give it a go! Ripper and Rod aren't huge, and Michelle, Rod's wife, isn't very big at all - but all of them will knock the crap out of you. Cassandra Adams, my former Joust Partner and ex-wife of Shane Adams, is tall, but she only goes about 155 or so and she has knocked the snot out of me on many occasions.

It is not about size and strength, its about lance control, horse control, and timing.

If jousting has EVER been your dream, there is no time like today to get started. There are schools, the SCA is experimenting with IJA style jousting and joust troupes always need new folks. Give it a go - I miss the hell out of it. Jousting gets in your blood and nothing else in historical martial arts can match it.

Cheers,

Lloyd Clark
2000 World Jousting Champion
2004 World Jousting Bronze Medalist
Swordmaster
Super Proud Husband and Father!
William Frisbee

PostPosted: Tue 28 Jun, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well the folks from the show contacted me today...

All they need from me now is a bit of a video application/resume... so I gotta make one of those.

I'm also going to have to get back to riding on a regular basis... been missing out on that.

Ryan, try being 5'10" and about 185 lbs, with most of the weight in the back and shoulders. My current armourers hate me.
Sam Gordon Campbell

PostPosted: Tue 28 Jun, 2011 10:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lloyd Clark wrote:
... the SCA is experimenting with IJA style jousting...

SCA and jousting? God speed Laughing Out Loud
And didn't they change their title to IJL?
Also, 173cm and 65kgs reporting in!

Member of Australia's Stoccata School of Defence since 2008.
Host of Crash Course HEMA.
Founder of The Van Dieman's Land Stage Gladiators.
Ann Taylor

PostPosted: Wed 29 Jun, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I emailed my application in yesterday, and am working on my video, for what its worth Ryan, I am 5' 5" and 145 pounds.
Stand up or lay there and bleed.
Ryan A. Currier

PostPosted: Wed 29 Jun, 2011 7:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is really fun! Good luck to everybody, and if you make it, be sure to post here so we know it's you!
Mackenzie Cosens

PostPosted: Wed 29 Jun, 2011 7:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I doubt that neither the insurance company nor the SPCA will be very happy if it "brutal as it was in the 13th century" To me when someone says stuff like that it puts them in the same category as "Professional Rassling".

If the program doesn't use any lousy computer simulations such as used in "History's Deadliest Warrior" and I will be more likely to watch. But really I don't have very high exceptions for anything coming out of The History Channel. But I do hope to be proven wrong, after all its not on SPIKE TV.
Joshua Anthony

PostPosted: Wed 29 Jun, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mackenzie Cosens wrote:
I doubt that neither the insurance company nor the SPCA will be very happy if it "brutal as it was in the 13th century" To me when someone says stuff like that it puts them in the same category as "Professional Rassling".

If the program doesn't use any lousy computer simulations such as used in "History's Deadliest Warrior" and I will be more likely to watch. But really I don't have very high exceptions for anything coming out of The History Channel. But I do hope to be proven wrong, after all its not on SPIKE TV.

I'm also wondering how they plan to protect the horses, since they have just as much chance of being injured as the riders do, and anything can happen around horses.....especially when they "spook". I imagine the tournament field is chock full o' things to spook horses.

I put in my application, and as an experienced rider I'll be curious to see how it works out even if I'm not selected.

"...He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one." - Jesus, Luke 22:36
William Frisbee

PostPosted: Thu 30 Jun, 2011 7:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In the 13th century, were they not just tilting in doubled maille?
Ryan A. Currier

PostPosted: Thu 30 Jun, 2011 10:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't expect the armour to be historically accurate to that century, honestly. I talked with a person involved in the show, and I was told that most of competitions will be one-on-one. That's not exactly what I think of, when I think 13th century tourneys but.... It could still end up being really enjoyable. DON'T MESS IT UP TV PEOPLE! Thanks, me.
Mackenzie Cosens

PostPosted: Thu 30 Jun, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am guessing that they will be using barriers that should increase the safety for the horse.

Does anyone know when barriers were first used for the tilt?
Ryan A. Currier

PostPosted: Thu 30 Jun, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A couple of centuries after the thirteenth Big Grin
Gwen Nowrick

PostPosted: Thu 30 Jun, 2011 10:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The IJA is defunct. There are a few satellite chapters, but the parent organization is dead.

The International Jousting League is a completely different organization.

Gwen
Ann Taylor

PostPosted: Thu 30 Jun, 2011 11:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So an advertisement from pilgrim showed up on youtube tonight, I think I was the first one to watch it. In it someone states that there will be '16 guys'. Which leads me to think that maybe they won't be accepting any women's applications. I emailed them tonight, I'll let you know if I get a response.
Stand up or lay there and bleed.
Sam Gordon Campbell

PostPosted: Fri 01 Jul, 2011 2:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mackenzie: "It's not real rassling!"

Gwen: Thanks for clearing that up

Ann: That would be awesome!

Member of Australia's Stoccata School of Defence since 2008.
Host of Crash Course HEMA.
Founder of The Van Dieman's Land Stage Gladiators.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Full Metal Jousting... What?
Page 2 of 6 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: