Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Organic pommels on Bronze Age and early Iron Age swords. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Scott Woodruff

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jun, 2011 11:48 am    Post subject: Organic pommels on Bronze Age and early Iron Age swords.         Reply with quote

I am looking for any examples of preserved organic pommels, Especially for Naue type II swords, though other related types would be interesting too. So far all I have been able to find are Hallstatt (lots of those) a couple of others on the "bronze age swords" thread and one Naue II dagger on the "Greek Age of Bronze" site. Anything at all would be most helpful. Any bronze Naue II pommels that might serve as a model for an organic one would be helpful too.
Paul Hansen

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jun, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here you can find some interesting pictures from the Trojan Horse Vase, depicting Naue II swords:
http://z8.invisionfree.com/Bronze_Age_Center/...;st=0&

Since I'm not aware of any preserved Naue II pommels, I think these are the best indication you can find.
Scott Woodruff

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jun, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you Paul. I had previously seen that first image but not the others. Last night I worked out a scabbard design based on some of the pottery art shown on the "Greek Age of Bronze" site. Those were very abstract representations, so I am very pleased that the much more realistic art from the Trojan Horse Vase shows scabbards that closely resemble my interpretation. I wonder about those very wide pommels, they could be either circular or flattened when seen from the top. Thank you again Paul, you have been most helpful.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Organic pommels on Bronze Age and early Iron Age swords.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic