Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Damaged my Sovereign and photographing Swords is difficult Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Johan Gemvik

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 21 Jun, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Seriously, these swords can cut up oil drum rims and beat on anvils, they can take some stone pavings any day. Just don't get in the way of one flying your way. Wink

That reminds me I've got to get me an Albion. Love the company, the research, the videos, everything about them. My economy just got in the way of starting collecting their entire inventory.

"The Dwarf sees farther than the Giant when he has the giant's shoulder to mount on" -Coleridge
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 21 Jun, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Johan Gemvik wrote:
Seriously, these swords can cut up oil drum rims and beat on anvils, they can take some stone pavings any day. Just don't get in the way of one flying your way. Wink

That reminds me I've got to get me an Albion. Love the company, the research, the videos, everything about them. My economy just got in the way of starting collecting their entire inventory.

I agree that Albions or equally well heat treated swords can take a lot of abuse and not suffer anything more serious than cosmetic damage, but who wants cosmetic damage that can be avoided ! Wink

Sure if you use a sword for test cutting or a blunt for training one should expect some scuffing of finish and the minor nick that may need sanding out + the occasional sharpening but it seems more acceptable when it happens due to normal use rather than some accidental and unneeded mishap !

But to ruin one so that it would be unusable in period would mean some extreme abuse or decades of accumulated wear due to normal use. Wink Big Grin

Those of us who haven't tested our Albions by doing something "unfortunate " can thanks Jason for the involuntary semi-destructive testing. Wink Razz Laughing Out Loud Cool

( Note: Drinking a nice red wine with a nice ground veal hamburger steak, as I type this, and any stupid things I say or typos can be blamed on the wine ...... Blush Wink Laughing Out Loud )

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jun, 2011 1:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I hope the wine was good Jean, I sure am glad to nbe back in myArmoury with you and several other very special people as well as those I've not yet had the priviledge to meet yet! Most of all Nathan Robinson "the Brainiac" who is the primary person of a Very Special Few who got this website up and going and may I say, Nathan and his Team of All Stars have accomplished nothing less than a remarkably splendid accomplishment!
With these "Facts" stated, I too agree that the "Team" at Albion and the sheer Genius of Peter Johnson (who is a very humble gentleman)! Albion Creates one. Sword more gorgeous than the next, I suppose many of us have a "favorite" swordsmith or sword company and mine is Arms and Armor, however, I have no lack of respect for the other High End sword companies and private swordsmiths!
As they are all delivering magnificent "pieces of history" at a reasonably affordable price. Like your "Soveriegn" and I've always had a strong attraction to this beauty!
Please, don't beat yourself up anymore about this accident! And it "CAN" be Fixed! I am sure I would pound on myself if I ever marred the pommel, crossguard or blade of my "Arms and Armor" St. Maurice Sword, as it has a splendidly ornate hilt and for such a long blade one hander, it wields like a Dream! I know I'd be Sick over it, so I understand where your coming from, however, "FACT", your beloved dreamsword "The Albion Soveriegn" will be Showroom pristine once again!
So go. Easy on Yourself!

Sincerely!

Bob

It IS What It IS! Only In Truth, Can Reality Exist!
To "Learn" we must empty our minds and therefore open our mind and spirit. A wet sponge absorbs no water. A preconceived mind is recalcitrant to new knowledge!
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jun, 2011 9:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob Burns wrote:
I hope the wine was good Jean,

Yes it was last night and had another glass with the rest of the ground veal as a burger tonight.

I agree with Bob that Albion's are very well put together swords not really surpassed but equalled by A & A, OlliN and the custom work of Michael Pikula and Leo Todeschini. ( To name a few I have personal experience with )

There is certainly the highest end of custom makers like Peter Johnsson and others that are in a class of their own, but of the production makers in variety of sword models and historical authenticity, Albion is hard to beat, and they raised the bar and can take credit for influencing most other production makers to raise the quality of even the lower end but decent quality swords.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Bob Burns

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jun, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Some self discovered and implemented methods of repair and enhancements with swords, daggers and polearms. Safety is the first and foremost consideration and since on many of my blades I like them very sharp (known as a "Bobification" at Arms and Armor, LOL)! Which was addressed on my very first sword, despite it being a beast of a sword, the German Bastard Sword, and the alerted warnings of Craig, LOL!
If it's the blade area of one of my sharp swords, the first thing I do is dull the edge, then between my hand and the sandpaper, etc is a 1/8" thick piece of leather. If a file is needed in the initial process, then a straight file for straight areas and a contoured file from a mild curve to a round, depending on the degree of curve. Obviousely in a repair, the sight of damage is the first to be addressed but almost immediately this must be smoothed out with the general area so as to avoid any depression or indentation. With sandpaper I always use a honing oil or WD40, starting with a course grit, say like 100 and graduate all the way up to even a 2,000 grit in some cases.
If no experience, as I stated earlier, use a cheap sword or old knife until you feel confident with your skills. Most importantly, maintain a confident and calm attitude, bring body mind and soul together into mutual harmony.
You will achieve success!

Bob

To "Learn" we must empty our minds and therefore open our mind and spirit. A wet sponge absorbs no water. A preconceived mind is recalcitrant to new knowledge!
Bob Burns

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jun, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Something I forgot to mention and a wonderful aid to the use of sandpaper, that being subsrates or templates of wood of a hand fitting size from straight to varied curves to wrap the oiled sandpaper around. This technique will give you a much more evened out contact of the sanpaper to steel application and it does'nt even have to be wood, any consistant "shape" is the goal for a consistant plane of copntact medium. Again as with files, you don't want a straight flat template for curved areas, as this will result in a flattened out area to one that is curved and the site of repair will be obvious to the eye. Also, I use a rag to clean the area of work (remember this process is with oiled sandpaper.
Then the last thing I do is resharpen the blade, first with light even strokes of a file at about 20 degrees, filing away from the blade untile final strokes towards the blade to deburr the edge, then the same process either with oil stones or oiled sandpaper wrapped around the matching template, again, flat straight for a straight edge, etc.
I hope these final two posts have been helpful! Oh, I wrote these as a scrutinizing collector and NOT an industry professional.

Bob

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Damaged my Sovereign and photographing Swords is difficult
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: