Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Questions about my project brekheter armour Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jan J. Gahy

PostPosted: Sun 12 Jun, 2011 2:20 am    Post subject: Questions about my project brekheter armour         Reply with quote

Hello everyone
I started recently making brekheter armour, i ordered few steel lamels but here comes the problem: holes on lamels are too far from each other (i wanted them to be like 4 - 5 mm far from each other) but in reality its about 11 mm :-/. I calculated that i need rings with inner diameter 1,1 cm or more... I have just 8 mm and 9 mm diameter rings so i tried to do the joining ring row between lamels with these smaller rings and whole lamellar row was bend because of small rings :-( so i decided to improvise a little (see picture) instead of joining ring row i just join lamels with one ring.

And there is my questions for this lamellar armour i made: If this could be considered as a variation of brekheter armour or if there in history is very similar armour like this?

Thanks in advance.

(Sorry for my english Im from Slovakia.)

Attachment: 199.92 KB
[ Download ]
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 12 Jun, 2011 4:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks like you have a hole in each corner of each plate. You might be able to fix the problem by punching a third hole in the middle so that each plate has three holes down each edge. That will give you the 5mm spacing. You could also gain some more leeway by enlarging all of the holes. A lot of "mail and plates" constructions have fairly large holes in the plates - a lot larger than the link that went through them.
Romulus Stoica

PostPosted: Sun 12 Jun, 2011 7:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A third hole in between of the ones allready existing, would be the best solution. The plates would hold together better and the overall looks of the armor would be improved.
Jan J. Gahy

PostPosted: Sun 12 Jun, 2011 8:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

thanks, i thought about this option, but Im not very good at drilling and I dont want to destroy that beautiful lamels so I try to get larger rings first and try them out. If they doesnt work as i want, I must try drilling a third hole which i really dont want to with my drilling skill Sad

But my primary questions were about that armour, if there in history was something similar to this pattern with no larger maille rows between lamels.
Well, im not very knowledgeable about kinds of oriental armours, but i really like their appearances, so i decided to make some lamellar and maille combination armour like brekheter.

I would be grateful for any info about other lamellar and maille combination armours.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Questions about my project brekheter armour
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic