Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Wondering about a fantasy based sword? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Ryan Grasso

PostPosted: Wed 03 Apr, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Wondering about a fantasy based sword?         Reply with quote

Hi, I was just wondering about the possibility of buying a custom sword, although if so it won't be for a while. More specifically I'm wondering about Brisngr, a sword from the Inheritance book series. I'm not sure if you guys make non-historical swords here, and if you do, whether it would be legal to sell one made from a book. If the answers are yes you do make them and yes it's legal, I'd like to know roughly how much it would be and who I would have to talk to.

The sword in question is a Hand-and-a-Half sword, which I believe is another name for a Longsword or a Bastard Sword, with a blue blade and a sapphire set in the pommel. Although, for obvious cost issues the sapphire would preferably be replaced with a blue glass or something similar. I've included a picture of it that I found on the internet since it isn't shown on any of the book covers.

I apologize if this in the wrong section, I'm new to this forum (registered a few minutes ago) and saw a similar post in this section. I'll also restate that I would be waiting a while, probably until I get out of school, or at least until I get to the end my junior year of college to get it commissioned, but if it's a possibility, I will definitely be back when the time comes.

I thank anyone who is kind enough to help, whether it is good or bad news.

Attachment: 15.32 KB
Brisingr.jpg

Ryan Grasso

PostPosted: Wed 03 Apr, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh, I forgot to mention. The fact that the blade is a sapphire blue color is INCREDIBLY important. If that's not possible, then I would prefer not to go any farther since it's one of the main reasons I want this sword specifically.
Phil D.

Reading list: 56 books

PostPosted: Wed 03 Apr, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here you go...

http://www.odinblades.com/swords.html

"A bottle of wine contains more philosophy than all the books in the world." -- Louis Pasteur

"A gentleman should never leave the house without a sharp knife, a good watch, and great hat."
Bruno Giordan

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 03 Apr, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think you are asking for something that is technically feasible, but also quite costly.

You should consider that the hilt, pommel, chape and mouth of the scabbard should be artistically carved in wax and then made by investment casting.

Also, the bluing could be either obtained in the forge or by chemical ways, it would be easily obtainable but it would be an extra step with rispect to a normal workflow in making a blade.

Last but not least the pommel weight, which would be quite light, might result as non sufficient to balance the blade, so the smith should take extra care in adjusting blade geometry for a decent balance: this project is a fantasy sword so the design of the pommel could possibly result impractical in a real sword.

This is the only problem I see in realizing such a sword: you should ask yourself if you want a really functional blade, capable of real cutting, or rather a blade that be perfectly adhering to specs but that would be probaly less balanced than it would be desirable.

But a good swordsmith might tune so well the distal taper of the blade that it would become possible to realize a pommel that be really faithful to your design.

For this a swordsmith with experience in the fantasy world might have surely a plus over a swordsmith only expert in historical swords.
Bruno Giordan

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 04 Apr, 2013 12:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

One of the first names that come to my mind

http://powning.com/jake/
Ryan Grasso

PostPosted: Thu 04 Apr, 2013 5:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick help guys.

Bruno, thanks for the advice, and while the sword being practical would be preferable, it's not a dealbreaker. I'd rather stay more true to book's design even if it makes it more of a showpiece.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Wondering about a fantasy based sword?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic