Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Is negative marketplace feedback good to share? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jun, 2011 7:22 am    Post subject: Is negative marketplace feedback good to share?         Reply with quote

Moderator's notice: This topic was split from the Marketplace Feedback topic so that the debate of the issue can be separated from the actual gathering of feedback.

Zach Luna wrote:
Hi all,
I recently had a great transaction purchasing a sword through the classifieds and wanted to make a post letting others know how fantastic the seller was. Happy It seems like it would be nice to have a place to do this sort of thing, so perhaps this thread can be a venue for stories of feedback. Since only the original topic poster can post replies in the classifieds area, any notification from the buyer that the item(s) arrived is usually delivered only in private-- so this could be a way to celebrate completed transactions as well.

That has always been a great idea, Zach. One can only think that when said trusted and
honorable sellers in the classifieds make their partner-in-arms, as it were, feel comfortable
and confident about sending their hard earned cha-ching to otherwise perfect strangers we
should all hear / read something.

I've personally, and relatively recently, had a great transaction with Karl Knisley for a John
Lundemo, Odinblades
piece. Other gentlemen I wouldn't hesitate dealing with are Jeff
Larsen, Patrick Kelly, and LL Lawrence ...

Thing is, there's one dilemma : What do we do with our negative experiences ? or do we
simply accept that -- by the process of NOT being mentioned in a favorable light here -- that
transactions with so-n-so and who-n-who are NOT exemplary ?

Like many things, suddenly your dealing with subjective opinions ... what one person thinks
is great, another thinks is average at best ... if you follow.

By the way, very very nice pics.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jun, 2011 7:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz wrote:

Thing is, there's one dilemma : What do we do with our negative experiences ? or do we
simply accept that -- by the process of NOT being mentioned in a favorable light here -- that
transactions with so-n-so and who-n-who are NOT exemplary ?

My opinion only, would be to keep this Topic thread for just the good experiences and most of the bad ones should be dealt with privately unless there was some real problems or fraud involved ! In extreme cases it would probably be best to get advice from a site moderator of maybe Nathan before posting anything negative. ( Posting on it's own Topic ).

For O.K. but less than stellar transactions I think discretion would be best since it shouldn't be serious enough to complain about it in public as it might just be a one time " glitch " and not a pattern.

I also wouldn't assume that a transaction wasn't a good one just because it wasn't mentioned here as some people won't think to do so, or not find this Topic to post on i.e. The only thing we should assume is that a good review is a good review of a pleasant transaction. Wink

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jun, 2011 10:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I wish that this had not been posted in the original topic. It derails that good topic and adds a level of debate about the process, avoiding the intended purpose of that topic entirely. I've split your debate on the subject to its own topic so that the original topic's intent to gather feedback can be maintained.

I disagree with you, Jean, regarding negative feedback. Feedback is only valuable when it is unbiased. Negative feedback is as important as positive. According to our rules, all this has to be conducted in a professional manner and without personal attacks. In so long as this is followed, it's all appropriate.

I do agree with Jean in that the issues are best handled at first pass privately. People are less likely to want to remedy a situation after they've been publicly outed.

To address another suggestion by Jean regarding running negative feedback by a moderator or myself: no way. This not only is completely unwanted, it's not appropriate. For moderators of this site to be asked to act as a mediator for such things is completely against the terms of use of the Marketplace. It would open us up to liabilities I do not want.

Additionally, let me add that the public suggestions of how this site should be run are not helpful to me. In fact, they often derail me in enormous ways that are unwanted. Anyone having suggestions should simply contact me or Chad Arnow about them and we're happy to discuss them. Some of the best things about this site have been a result of brainstorming with members.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
GG Osborne

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jun, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

How about adding a feedback section in the Marketplace so that both seller and buyer can rate the transaction a la Ebay? The criteria could be set on a fixed scale with a small comment section. The transaction could be kept "open" in the marketplace and be searched by anyone wanting to check on past history.
"Those who live by the sword...will usually die with a huge, unpaid credit card balance!"
Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Thu 09 Jun, 2011 5:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

GG Osborne wrote:
How about adding a feedback section in the Marketplace so that both seller
and buyer can rate the transaction a la Ebay? The criteria could be set on a fixed scale with a small
comment section. The transaction could be kept "open" in the marketplace and be searched by
anyone wanting to check on past history.

You know, oddly enough GG, you brought to mind one of the things I happen to do when
looking at something I might purchase. I take a look at the number of posts from the seller,
then maybe his / her profile to check location etc... If there's at least as much info on the
person as, say, I have in my own profile, and a reasonable history of activity here, I'm
more likely to buy from the person.

There's been a few times where, as attractive as the item might be, the individual's
history, etc just doesn't give me enough initial confidence to follow-up.
Jeff Larsen

PostPosted: Sat 16 Jul, 2011 11:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Matthew.

As for feedback, I feel that if someone has an experience with either a seller/buyer or manufacturer, positive, send post away.

If it is negative, I feel that contacting the other party first and resolving it (if it can be) is best. If they refuse to fix (if it can be), then in a respectful and polite manner state objectively what happened. (i.e. bad sale, terrible product, etc.)

Jeff Happy

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience." Julius Caesar

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Is negative marketplace feedback good to share?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic