Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Sword of the Sun. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Owen Bush
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Mon 06 Jun, 2011 9:42 am    Post subject: Sword of the Sun.         Reply with quote

here is the latest piece I have been working on .
700layer random pattern blade , pin striped damascus fittings and leather over lime handle.
the blade is 39 inches OA is 49 inches.
weight 3lb and 10oz centre of balance 2.5 inched. from guard.
I wanted the lines in the fittings to really show the flow of the steel as the pieces were forged , the blade has amazing chatoyance .
The sword was a commission .he client wanted a hand and a half sword and liked the aesthetics of the Albion Dane particularly the ricasso (Albion have become a milestone and reference all in their own rite, I more often am quoted albion than oakshott by clients !!) I wanted softer lines and bold ricasso blade junction . I also mixed in handle dimentions from one of his favorite practice swords.....I like the result it reminds me of swords of the type that were on the coveres of conan or gore books I read as a teenager.......... and as such it is a fantasy piece but made to be used by a western martial artist . so it is a modern sword!

I thought that the sword should be called sword of the sun , the client named it Thorodan so I guess it may be Thorodan , Sword of the Sun.....
piccies are not so hot I may have to get it back and have it photoes by a pro....

forging soul into steel .

www.owenbush.co.uk the home of bushfire forge school of smithing .
Dan P

PostPosted: Mon 06 Jun, 2011 9:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The fittings are the best part... usually I think Damascus/folded steel parts look overdone and confusing, but the subtlety and direction there on this sword is great.

The sort of thing that one doesn't see until a closer look and then it suddenly becomes even more interesting.
Bartek Strojek

PostPosted: Mon 06 Jun, 2011 10:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ha, amazing work one kinda hopes that fantasy movies & general settings would be populated with such stuff instead of mongrels that are often born in prop crew minds... Wink

I must say hat it really doesn't strike as Sword of the Sun to me. Razz
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 06 Jun, 2011 10:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great Owen!

I usually can't stand fantasy swords but yours is pretty neat! I especially like how the guard and grip move into the attractive pommel shape.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 06 Jun, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I really liked the first pic but then I scrolled down and saw the close up pics and great became jaw-dropping awesome. Surprised Big Grin Cool

The pattern on the hilt furniture harmonizes rather nicely with the texture of the cord wrapping on the handle.

Fantasy piece or not it's a credible fantasy piece in the sense that it looks like a using sword design.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Thom Jason

PostPosted: Mon 06 Jun, 2011 11:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Beautiful Work Owen.

PS: Would appreciate an e-mail or pm about the Szabla...
Owen Bush
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 06 Jun, 2011 12:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
Great Owen!

I usually can't stand fantasy swords but yours is pretty neat! I especially like how the guard and grip move into the attractive pommel shape.

Thanks.
two of my smith friends came and saw this sword and both called it fantasy .....I took great offence !! when I had finished huffing and puffing .I thought about it a little .....
I had the idea that because it was a real balanced sharp sword that was made for a martial artist (modern swordsman) to use for his cutting practice that that made the sword "Real" and not fantasy .........shows what I know.
I think that "fantasy" is a large part of what the function of a sword is , they make one dwell on scenarios and adventures of the mind . In this modern world, swords are the stuff of fantasy untill you pick them up and then the reality of them becomes very clear............
it is strange being a self embroiled maker . It is really important to me that what I make is "Real" but I do not copy originals that often . I measure and document them . they are a reference and keep the blades I make firmly within plausability .
hey ho I shall have to think about this more........

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 06 Jun, 2011 12:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Owen Bush wrote:

Thanks.
two of my smith friends came and saw this sword and both called it fantasy .....I took great offence !! when I had finished huffing and puffing .I thought about it a little .....
I had the idea that because it was a real balanced sharp sword that was made for a martial artist (modern swordsman) to use for his cutting practice that that made the sword "Real" and not fantasy .........shows what I know.

I guess it depends on how one defines " fantasy ": I see this sword as a " REAL " sword but with no strict adherence to a historical type i.e. a mix of different elements that work very well as an attractive and harmonious design. If one adds good mechanical and handling properties then it truly is a real sword. Wink Big Grin

Fantasy designs can be over the top and completely weird and impractical for use and only meant to be showy wallhangers but even then there can be some good fantasy designs and some really bad and ugly designs.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Toby Manley

PostPosted: Mon 06 Jun, 2011 1:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Owen Bush wrote:

Thanks.

I guess it depends on how one defines " fantasy ": I see this sword as a " REAL " sword but with no strict adherence to a historical type i.e. a mix of different elements that work very well as an attractive and harmonious design. If one adds good mechanical and handling properties then it truly is a real sword. Wink Big Grin

Fantasy designs can be over the top and completely weird and impractical for use and only meant to be showy wallhangers but even then there can be some good fantasy designs and some really bad and ugly designs.

I completely agree with you there Jean. The sword is well balanced which allows true techniques to be applied. The grip fits perfectly in hand which is then separated nicely for the second which makes it extremely comfortable. Some grips press the hands to close so applying actual techniques becomes cumbersome. As far as the blade goes it is sharp in the areas that are historically accurate (from mid to weak part of the sword) so the rIcasso works well for making strong parries.

This is true real sword in all sense of the word.

Toby Manley
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 06 Jun, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Owen Bush wrote:
Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
Great Owen!

Thanks.
I think that "fantasy" is a large part of what the function of a sword is , they make one dwell on scenarios and adventures of the mind . In this modern world, swords are the stuff of fantasy untill you pick them up and then the reality of them becomes very clear............
it is strange being a self embroiled maker . It is really important to me that what I make is "Real" but I do not copy originals that often . I measure and document them . they are a reference and keep the blades I make firmly within plausability .

Oh, I hope I didn't offend. I only used the word as you did! Wink

That I can like a non-historical sword really means something- I assue you- not that you should care. . . . . Just trying unsuccessfully to compliment!!! Confused
Peter Cowan

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Mon 06 Jun, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject: sword of the sun         Reply with quote

Your sword is stunning, and I mean that literally. I couldn't believe the work that must have gone into the guard and the pommel. Whether it is fantasy or real, it has presence and very striking lines and I love it.
The blade is terrific and the whole sword must have involved an incredible amount of skill and work.
I congratulate you and the new owner on a masterpiece.
Sean O Stevens

PostPosted: Mon 06 Jun, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Beyond epic... I love it.... I love everything about it! Would love to own a sword with similar dimensions.... Wowza.
Owen Bush
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 06 Jun, 2011 11:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
Owen Bush wrote:
Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
Great Owen!

Thanks.

Oh, I hope I didn't offend. I only used the word as you did! Wink

That I can like a non-historical sword really means something- I assue you- not that you should care. . . . . Just trying unsuccessfully to compliment!!! Confused

No offence taken I did take it as a compliment.!
I think you hit a raw nerve or possibly tapped into the turmoil of a craftsman's dilemma .....one can get very involved in a piece!!
Creating can be an interesting and complex process and it is easy as a maker to lose perspective (or more realistically never get perspective in the first place!!).
All the best Owen

Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

(3 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 08 Jun, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I handled this sword last week and it really is a lovely piece. I looked at it first before handling it and the first thing to note is that the layer count/etch combination makes your eyes go weird so that before even touching it, it becomes intriguing.

When you do handle it, it asks you to swing it.

Good job Owen. I also think that it is not really a fantasy sword so much as a historically inspired sword. When I think Fantasy I think wolfs claws and spiky bits.

Tod

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
www.instagram.com/todsworkshop
https://www.facebook.com/TodsWorkshop
www.youtube.com/user/todsstuff1

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Sword of the Sun.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic