Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New Beowulf movie......... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next 
Michael L Smith

PostPosted: Wed 01 Dec, 2004 11:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joel,

(I read Heany's translation and I haev a hard time seeing why some people have problems with it.)

For one thing, as I mentioned above, Heaney's translation almost ignores the Anglo-Saxon use of kennings. Without them, you lose a a great deal of the flavour of the original poem. He also uses a lot of Celtic expressions which have no corresponding value to the Anglo-Saxon language. Heaney also uses a lot of contemporary expressions ("He was one good king comes to mind") really distort the meaning of the original phrases.

I will give Heaney credit for putting Beowulf on the best-selling charts. There are just better translations out there that capture the essence of the poem far better.

Regards
Joe Maccarrone

PostPosted: Wed 01 Dec, 2004 7:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Smith wrote:

I would like to add, for those who don't already know it, that Michael Drout, is currently preparing Tolkien's prose translation of Beowulf for publication in 2005. That should be a real treat.

Eek!

Oh, my..
Dan Crowther

PostPosted: Tue 14 Dec, 2004 5:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Andrew,

As a blacksmith who is interested making props for movies such as Beowulf and Grendel I was wondering if you could clue us in on how people are chosen to do that work. Metalworker props guild, word of mouth, talent local to the film location, dumb luck or some other criteria?

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Steve Maly

Reading list: 23 books

PostPosted: Fri 24 Jun, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As good as the live-action version looks to be, I fear that Hollywood will still have a hand at ruining the story...Toy Story meets Beowulf... Mad http://586.typepad.com/hecklerspray/2005/06/b...ing_3.html
"When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail." ~A. Maslow
Dan Dickinson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jun, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Maly wrote:
As good as the live-action version looks to be, I fear that Hollywood will still have a hand at ruining the story...Toy Story meets Beowulf... Mad http://586.typepad.com/hecklerspray/2005/06/b...ing_3.html

Perhaps you already know this Steve, and were referring to it, but the movie you commented on is actually a second version, produced by a different director and writer than the one that this topic has been referring to.
Steve Maly

Reading list: 23 books

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jun, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Dickinson wrote:
Steve Maly wrote:

Perhaps you already know this Steve, and were referring to it, but the movie you commented on is actually a second version, produced by a different director and writer than the one that this topic has been referring to.

Yes, I realize they are 2 separate movies, though "Beowulf movies" would be on topic. Wink

"When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail." ~A. Maslow
Joe Yurgil

PostPosted: Sun 26 Jun, 2005 12:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

When is this supposed to come out? The live action one i mean. I searched though the site for a bit but i couldnt find a reliese date. Confused
Sjá, þar sé ek föður minn.
Sjá, þar sé ek móður mina ok systur mina ok bróður minn.
Sjá, þar sé ek allan minn frændgarð.
Sjá, kalla þeim tíl min.
Biðja mér at taka minn stað hjá þeim í sölum Valhallar, þar drengiligr menn munu lifa allan aldr.
Paul Mortimer

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sun 26 Jun, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have seen 10th October 2005 mentioned - but I am not sure where.

Paul
Patrik Erik Lars Lindblom

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Wed 11 Jan, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A Trailer are up and other stuff Big Grin
http://www.beowulf-movie.com/

Frid o Fröjd!
Patrik
Joachim Nilsson

PostPosted: Wed 11 Jan, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrik Erik Lars Lindblom wrote:

Wow... They actually managed to make Grendel look like... a WWF wrestler...
Patrik Erik Lars Lindblom

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Wed 11 Jan, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joachim Nilsson wrote:
Patrik Erik Lars Lindblom wrote:

Wow... They actually managed to make Grendel look like... a WWF wrestler...

Laughing Out Loud Yep! with "Hull o Hår" Laughing Out Loud
it's looks great, naturel and real so far Big Grin

Frid o Fröjd!
Patrik
Jim Adelsen
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 11 Jan, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sure would like to see this one. Weapons and armor look pretty good. Certainly give the Viking feel more than 13th Warrior. haha Doesn't sound like it keeps that close to the original story which I guess is good or bad. A movie has to be really good when you know the story.
www.viking-shield.com
Elonas Kvietkus

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Mon 16 Jan, 2006 1:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm glad I finaly joined myArmoury.com forums 'cause without it I wouldn't even knew this movie egsists.
As far as I can see from the trailer this should be something closer to real life.
It's nice to see there are film producers able to make something closer to truth than common ridleyscoting.
I expect this would be as good as "The Ring of The Nibelungs" was.
Wolfgang Armbruster

PostPosted: Mon 16 Jan, 2006 4:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice trailer Happy
Did I see some vikong-longswords? Eek! Hmmm, looks like they're trying to use single-handers with two hands.
Apart from that the costumes and weapons look authentic Happy

Concerning Grendel: I think his design is ok. If we consider that his character is probably a Troll then it's rather realistic and true to the facts. Some people think that the Troll-myths are based on old orally passed down stories about encounters between Humans and the last Neanderthalers. That's an interesting thought, but still pure speculation.
(impossible if you ask me)
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jan, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wolfgang Armbruster wrote:
Nice trailer Happy
Did I see some vikong-longswords? Eek! Hmmm, looks like they're trying to use single-handers with two hands.
Apart from that the costumes and weapons look authentic Happy

There's historical precedent for wielding a one-hander with both hands, for example after losing one's shield (which seems to have been a common enough occurrence).

Quote:
Concerning Grendel: I think his design is ok. If we consider that his character is probably a Troll then it's rather realistic and true to the facts. Some people think that the Troll-myths are based on old orally passed down stories about encounters between Humans and the last Neanderthalers. That's an interesting thought, but still pure speculation.
(impossible if you ask me)

Not impossible in the least - Homo sapiens and Homo neanderthaliensis lived side by side for a good long while. We still don't know for sure what actually happened to the Neanderthals - were they assimilated by H. sapiens? genocided by the same? become extinct on their own? No conclusive evidence has as of yet been discovered (or presented, in any case).

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jan, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow, just as I was getting used to Gerard as the Phantom! Eek! Cool trailer. Any idea on when it comes out in the US?
"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jan, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Not impossible in the least - Homo sapiens and Homo neanderthaliensis lived side by side for a good long while. We still don't know for sure what actually happened to the Neanderthals - were they assimilated by H. sapiens? genocided by the same? become extinct on their own? No conclusive evidence has as of yet been discovered (or presented, in any case).[/quote]

Here is one very interesting book or should I say tome, as it is over 850 pages.
What they do not want you to know!
Forbidden Archeology by Michael Cremo and Richard Thompson

http://www.mcremo.com/

Bob
Wolfgang Armbruster

PostPosted: Wed 18 Jan, 2006 5:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't doubt that modern man or the Cro Magnons met Neanderthalers. That happened for sure.
But I doubt that the troll-myth comes from there. Happy

@ Bob Burns: I hope that guy is not in league with these intelligent design I%$"%$%$§% Wink
Mikko Kuusirati

PostPosted: Wed 18 Jan, 2006 6:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Edward Hitchens wrote:
Wow, just as I was getting used to Gerard as the Phantom! Eek!

He's also playing King Leonidas in Frank Miller's 300 (in production as we speak).

(I actually didn't like him in the Phantom. At all. The film was, of course, gorgeous (I mean, it was Webber's Phantom of the Opera, after all, how could it not be gorgeous) but Butler was just wrong. Too damn handsome, and that mask didn't actually cover anything, either. Why? why can't they ever get that right? Erik is a freaking genius ninja and totally cool, he's what every Anne Rice vampire so desperately wants to be, but he's also the ugliest creature on poor ol' Earth, which is basically the whole point of the damn story...)

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
Mikko Kuusirati

PostPosted: Wed 18 Jan, 2006 6:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wolfgang Armbruster wrote:
I don't doubt that modern man or the Cro Magnons met Neanderthalers. That happened for sure.
But I doubt that the troll-myth comes from there. Happy

I can actually see it happening, just fine. Imagine:

Once, your father tells you, when he was a child, some strange people came to their dwelling. They were like men, yet not - they walked on two feet, erect like normal humans, but their heads were oddly shaped, their limbs twisted like an ape's, and they were hairy all over. They bargained with the men, conversing in a curious pidgin of unintelligible sounds, sign language and awkward human speech, trading animal skins for flint and tools, and went away again.

His grandfather told him the hairy men used to come quite often, once, a long time ago, to trade and mingle with the people, yet now they were grown scarce, and hid from humans in the deep woods and hills. He only saw them once more, years later, when they happened to hunt the same deer. None of your own generation had ever seen them, although you had heard your parents talk about them, sometimes. In your time, you told your children the story your father told you... and they told it to their's... and on and on through the generations, until the story had spread throughout all the descendants of your people - and become myth and legend.

Pardon me for waxing all poetic for a spell, there... Happy

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New Beowulf movie.........
Page 4 of 7 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: