Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New Beowulf movie......... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next 
Sam Barris

PostPosted: Sat 20 Nov, 2004 1:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh, one other thing. Someone mentioned earlier about our fondness for explaining the reason for the bad guy's evil ways, in essence justifying it. Well, for about thirty years now, we've been dealing with postmodern lit theory. One of the things about that is the blurring of binaries like good and evil, light and darkness, male and female, chaos and order, etc ad infinitum. You know that part of the Yin Yang where each has a part of the other inside of it? It's kind of like that. Movies have only recently caught on to this trend, and you can see it everywhere. In general, postmodern theory is a good analytical tool, but sometimes they go too far when applying it to a good old fashion man-vs.-monster story. There's a reason why those archetypes have endured for thousands of years and no modern lit theory is going to change that. Happy
Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 20 Nov, 2004 2:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
I'd prefer it if nobody butchered another book that I love ever again. Please?

Nice thought, but don't lay money on it Big Grin

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Michael L Smith

PostPosted: Sat 20 Nov, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

(check out the cast of characters. Seems like Grendel has a dad and a kid. )

Alex, you just ruined my evening. Sounds like Grendel may end up resembling Herman Munster more than a "kin of Cain."
Sam. let the butchering begin.....!

Regards
Sam Barris

PostPosted: Sun 21 Nov, 2004 12:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

On the other hand, I have a sneaking suspicion I'm going to be very forgiving with this movie. Wink

http://beowulfandgrendel.com/v-web/gallery/Th...celand_067

I'm such a sucker for the redheads...

Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides
Patrick Fitzmartin

PostPosted: Sun 21 Nov, 2004 10:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
I've noticed that a weapons gallery has been added to this website. Hopefully we'll see some interesting stuff.
Greetings Patrick Kelly, Where are you finding this stuff? Half the links I click on say not authorized. I have not been able to figure out how to register to login either. I can't find it on the official movie site either. Maybe it is not loading right or my computer inadequacy is showing again. Confused Any help would be greatly appreciated. Even with the usual "artistic license" involved I am really looking forward to this one. Big Grin Sincerely, Patrick Fitzmartin
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Sun 21 Nov, 2004 10:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Fitzmartin wrote:
Patrick Kelly wrote:
I've noticed that a weapons gallery has been added to this website. Hopefully we'll see some interesting stuff.
Greetings Patrick Kelly, Where are you finding this stuff? Half the links I click on say not authorized. I have not been able to figure out how to register to login either. I can't find it on the official movie site either. Maybe it is not loading right or my computer inadequacy is showing again. Confused Any help would be greatly appreciated. Even with the usual "artistic license" involved I am really looking forward to this one. Big Grin Sincerely, Patrick Fitzmartin

I get to it by going here: http://www.beowulf-movie.com/ and clicking "Enter"

Then scroll down to "Weapons" on the left and click.

No problems on my end.

Patrick Fitzmartin

PostPosted: Sun 21 Nov, 2004 2:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greetings Patrick Kelly, Thank you for the info sir. I get all that but for some reason the site doesn't load right for me. Who knows? The usual reliably "unreliable" technology we have. Wink Time for a new computer and ISP. Eek! Again my thanks. Sincerely, Patrick Fitzmartin
Andrew R. B.

PostPosted: Fri 26 Nov, 2004 8:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi all -

It's great to see such a heady mix of enthusiasm and passionate skepticism for our project.

Much as I respect the concerns of those who feel I've gone away from the story, I'd only offer this. As I elaborated at greater length on our website, [ www.beowulfandgrendel.com ] the Beowulf poem is written by someone removed in time [several hundred years], distance, culture, language and religion from the characters and situation about which he writes. Stories - particularly in an oral culture - tend to evolve a little over several hundred years. Meaning no disrespect to the poem, I thought it might be interesting to do a version of the story before it went through its Christian good-vs-evil framing. Blame my latent paganism. I too am removed from the characters and situation - by many more hundreds of years, by language, distance, culture... but I just wasn't willing to change all that for the sake of a movie. [joke... just in case...]

I tend to resist literary fundamentalism - especially in the case where the poem is telling a story that's been passed to the poet through many hands. There is the issue of history being written by the winners.

And, besides all that, Cain too had a gripe.

Cheers.

Andrew Berzins [screenwriter of B & G][/quote]
Einar Drønnesund

PostPosted: Fri 26 Nov, 2004 8:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Andrew R. B. wrote:
Hi all -

It's great to see such a heady mix of enthusiasm and passionate skepticism for our project.

Much as I respect the concerns of those who feel I've gone away from the story, I'd only offer this. As I elaborated at greater length on our website, [ www.beowulfandgrendel.com ] the Beowulf poem is written by someone removed in time [several hundred years], distance, culture, language and religion from the characters and situation about which he writes. Stories - particularly in an oral culture - tend to evolve a little over several hundred years. Meaning no disrespect to the poem, I thought it might be interesting to do a version of the story before it went through its Christian good-vs-evil framing. Blame my latent paganism. I too am removed from the characters and situation - by many more hundreds of years, by language, distance, culture... but I just wasn't willing to change all that for the sake of a movie. [joke... just in case...]

I tend to resist literary fundamentalism - especially in the case where the poem is telling a story that's been passed to the poet through many hands. There is the issue of history being written by the winners.

Cheers.

Andrew Berzins [screenwriter of B & G]
[/quote]

Andrew, I think the movie looks very promising. I cant wait to see it. Glad to see Stellan Skarsgaard on the cast list. He is a favourite of mine. Too bad he seems to get killed in every single hollywood movie he has done. Big Grin No, dont tell me, I'd rather not know. Happy Personally I have no problems with stories like this beeing "toned down" somewhat in some areas. I have no problem seeing Grendel as a human instead of a monster for example.
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

PostPosted: Fri 26 Nov, 2004 8:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Andrew R. B. wrote:
Hi all -

Cheers.

Andrew Berzins [screenwriter of B & G]

Welcome to the forum Andrew.

I think you project was met with much more enthusiasm than skepticism, which is a good sign. As you said, you are interpreting an interpretation of a story , and on top of it all you are adapting a poem for a movie. So some compromises have to be made. And inevitably some would be disagreeing with the compromises you have made.

As you probably have already noticed, most of us are exited about the arms and armor used in the move and we had the good folks form " Valentine Armouries" discuss them with us (at least the things that they made).

I anticipate the movie with great interest.

Alexi
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Fri 26 Nov, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Andrew and welcome to myArmoury!

I'm awaiting your movie with a great deal of anticipation. It's set in one of my main periods of interest. The arms and armor of this era are some of my favorites. (Spectacle helms are my absolute favorite and it looks like you have some nice ones there!) I don't mind a bit of license in these projects. Translating any written work to the screen is always a compromise. Especially something as archaic and debatable as Beowulf. Good luck on the project and please kep us posted on any developments!

Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Fri 26 Nov, 2004 4:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think I recognise one of the swords here. The top sword in the third picture looks a lot like my first sword. If it is the same, I hope they have one of the older ones; right after I got that sword (Christmas present 1996), they made the tang much narrower, and removed much of the distal taper. Both had an ugly plastic grip that I am glad to see was replaced for the movie.

I would recomend some lock-tite on that (threaded) pommel, if it hasn't been done already.

-Grey

Edited because, despite a minor in writing, I can't comunicate clearly at 3:45 in the morning.
Brock H

PostPosted: Sat 27 Nov, 2004 7:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to this movie with great anticipation. I actually like stories where the monster/villain is humanized and has motivation beyond just being evil for the evil he does. It looks like a real effort is being made to use costumes and weapons that will be more accurate than what we usually get in this type of movie. Maybe this will motivate me to finally read the Seamus Heaney translation of Beowulf that's been sitting around on my "to read" book shelf. It's been more than 30 years since I read the poem!

If this movie is a success, maybe we can look forward to the granddaddy of all epic poems, Gilgamesh. Although I'm sure the makers will tone down the action between Enkidu and Shamhat.
Michael L Smith

PostPosted: Sun 28 Nov, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Don't read Heaney's translation. Poor guy acts as if he doesn't know the difference between a kenning and a simile. His effort really lessens the impact of the poem. Try Liuzza's instead. It is by far the best verse translation out there excepting, of course, my wife's unpublished translation. Razz

Regards
Andrew R. B.

PostPosted: Mon 29 Nov, 2004 4:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick, Alexi, Einar...

Thanks for the welcome, guys. I'm not too much of a weapons fiend but was thrilled by the work of the Valentine folks. We took a position from early on in the design development that our Geats had a few miles on their sails and thus would have picked up influences in dress and armoury from far and wide - at the least anything that might reach the Baltic. And as I'm sure you all understand, we're making an entertainment, not a museum piece, so some liberties do occur.

As to those on the site fearing "butchery," I think there are many reasons why a movie "true to the poem" has not happened up to this point. I would love to see a feature script that gracefully accomodated the digressions, handled the time-shifts, made us warm to the boastfulness, made us believe that a creature that can eat thirty men in a sitting can have its arm torn from its socket by a mortal, albeit a powerful one.

It's a story. Ours is a version. We've tried in our way to be passionate and true to it.

And Patrick - I'll try to update you guys as I can. The wind is certainly in our sails! Skull!
Brock H

PostPosted: Mon 29 Nov, 2004 6:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Smith wrote:
Don't read Heaney's translation. Try Liuzza's instead.

Thanks for the tip, Michael. Guess it's time to check out Amazon and the other online book sellers.
David Quivey

Reading list: 21 books

PostPosted: Mon 29 Nov, 2004 8:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Andrew - I have yet to voice my opinions on the thread, so will do so now.
I am very, very excited about this movie! I have always credited the Beowulf text for sparking my interest in learning about later European history. I actually hold the text very dear to me heart Big Grin
Consequently, I was glad to hear that the movie wasn't perfectly true to the original text. There is much subtlety in the text that would not translate very well on film. From what I've seen/read on the movie site, I think you are doing fair justice to the text and to the mind(s) that created the story!
Now are we planning on a sequel for the last section of the poem? please? Big Grin

Brock - I would echo Michael: Heaney's translation has never struck as fair to the original - in my opinion, you can do much better with what is out there Wink
Michael - I haven't read Roy Liuzza's translation yet, but it is on the wish-list... hmmm, don't suppose your wife's text will be coming out soon? Cool
Matt Corbin

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Tue 30 Nov, 2004 6:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have got to admit I LOVE THIS SWORD!!! The thing is simply fantastic.
Now I only wish I had some disposable income so I could get one of my own Big Grin
Maybe some day. I can wish can't I? Wink

edited to add:

She is quite nice too.

Unfortunately I can't afford one of those right now either Laughing Out Loud

“This was the age of heroes, some legendary, some historical . . . the misty borderland of history where fact and legend mingle.”
- R. Ewart Oakeshott
Michael L Smith

PostPosted: Tue 30 Nov, 2004 11:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David,

(Michael - I haven't read Roy Liuzza's translation yet, but it is on the wish-list... hmmm, don't suppose your wife's text will be coming out soon? )

In the interest of royalties, I wish I could say it is. Her study on hagiography and medieval romance ranks about one billionth at Amazon. Oh well.....!

I would like to add, for those who don't already know it, that Michael Drout, is currently preparing Tolkien's prose translation of Beowulf for publication in 2005. That should be a real treat.

Regards
Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Wed 01 Dec, 2004 10:13 am    Post subject: I read Seamus         Reply with quote

Michael Smith wrote:
David,

(Michael - I haven't read Roy Liuzza's translation yet, but it is on the wish-list... hmmm, don't suppose your wife's text will be coming out soon? )

In the interest of royalties, I wish I could say it is. Her study on hagiography and medieval romance ranks about one billionth at Amazon. Oh well.....!

I would like to add, for those who don't already know it, that Michael Drout, is currently preparing Tolkien's prose translation of Beowulf for publication in 2005. That should be a real treat.

Regards

I read Heany's translation and I haev a hard time seeing why some people have problems with it. It has a great forword on the translation that is nearly as intersting aas the story itself. I also recently read a paper where a guy ripped Tolkien's translation as well ( for using archaic language no less). It seems that philologists are a passionate lot.

Joel

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New Beowulf movie.........
Page 3 of 7 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: