Help identifythis sword...
I am assuming it was made by Peter Knecht (1825-1850). But I do not know if it is German or Austrian or what model it is or which typle of unit used it. Any help would be appreciated.

Take a look of these:
http://blankwaffen.at/bnPortal/fotos.php
Thanks, that's an interesting site, but I don't see anything that quite matches.
I did a quick search on German sites and it indeed looks like Peter Knecht stamped his works as "P. Knecht Solingen".
Can't help you with the kind of sword, to modern for me. ;)
Thanks, Arne. Yeah, it is modern for me, too. I usually don't collect any swords later than the 18th century.
Well, many swords look alike. Only the small details can tell the difference. It's a mid-18th century military piece. Sword makers from Solingen supplied swords for many countries, not only for German states or Austria.
If it doesn't have any unit markings or serial numbers it could mean that's an officer's sword, the officer's private property. I'll suggest infantry or maybe light cavalry, 1820-1860.
If you're hell-bent to identify it you may try to register and post some pictures here:
http://www.blankwaffen-forum.de/
Don't worry, they speek English too.
It's an Austrian M1837.
Also fits the pattern for the American 1810 patern light artilerry saber. Most were made in Europe for the American market.
i tend to the latter,
imho the austrian m1837 has a more exaggerated knuckle-guard-bow and a more strongly curved blade.

edit: found a picture

Attachment: 19.4 KB
display_1243_AUSTRIAN_M1837_OFFICERS_SWORD_-_HUNGARIAN_UPRISING_OF_1848_634268181735000000.jpg
austrian m1837
http://faganarms.com/americanlightartillerymilitiasaberc1810.aspx

Nice representative example. Blades varied from maker and year of manufacture. Some blades had wide fullers other deep narrow ones with both stopped and unstopped fullers. The hilt style stayed mostly true. Lack of langets wasnt an issue as both with and without langets are seen. Cavalry version has longer blade and calls for steel hilt but militia didnt always have funds for steel and opted for brass. Cavalry version has cut out for sword knot while light artlllery has a lighter hilt and frequently lacks it. Both cavarly and artillery units of militia used this type from 1810 through 1840 and some units of militia still carried it during th early years of the America Civil War. Used from War of 1812 through Mexican war mostly.
I have a lovely one in great shape with a steel scabbard. Not marked anywhere unless its on the tang, so no way to find out unless I dismatle it and I wouldnt do that for the world.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: