Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

"Lost Oakeshott" XIIIb tribute
A while ago a thread was started showing the debut of a sword not see before, only drawn. Somehow the drawing didn't catch my eye while looking through Records, but the image triggered my creative drive and produced a sister sword that I feel is pretty good tribute to the original. For those that missed the thread it is a worth while read! http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=22559

Without any further chatter I'd like to share some specs and images

Length overall: 38.3"
Blade length: 32.2"
Blade width at guard: 3"
Blade width 5" from tip: 2.3"
Weight: 2lb 8oz (1.159kg)
Point of Balance: 5.3" forward of guard

The blade feels super light, very fast, and has excellent control, but has enough mass to do what the original was probably designed to do. I actually had to make the blade twice. The first one was coming together really well, I got the fitting roughed in and realized that the fuller was slightly off, so I went back to correct the issue and ended up grinding through, oops! It was a wonderful learning experience though, and made a second blade to match the fittings. I gave this blade a utilitarian finish for easy clean up after test cutting or drilling.

I am asking $1450 plus shipping for the sword.

**Although if purchased prior to June 10th I will offer free shipping continental US plus 10% off for $1300 shipped to your door

Attachment: 84.08 KB
DSCN1360.JPG

Attachment: 140.96 KB
DSCN1357.JPG

Attachment: 173.6 KB
DSCN1353.JPG

Attachment: 153.09 KB
DSCN1358.JPG

Attachment: 153.01 KB
DSCN1355.JPG

Attachment: 78.77 KB
DSCN1354.JPG

That is one heck of a sword! It looks like it would be a terror on lightly armoured and unarmoured opponents.

The finish is very nice too.

I think that there are so many types that we don't know of because of our sample size.
I want it so bad I'm about to cry! :eek: Jeez.... It's absolutely beautiful.

I was completely taken with the sword, smitten, after viewing the first couple of pictures, but when I scrolled down to the last I said aloud "It does tricks!"
That pommel is really cool. I don't believe I have ever seen its like before...

Great work! (and congrats to the person who ends up with the sword)
Another impressive piece and one not seen reproduced before. :D :cool:
How cow!!! Now that's a wide blade!!!

I really like this one!
I'm lovin' this photo:

[ Linked Image ]

Imagine seeing that come up to you on a field! Holy crap.
You have outdone yourself Michael. That makes the XIIIb you made for me almost jealous. I really need to stop buying stuff for my mountain bikes and have you make me another piece.
Michael,

You just sparked my interest in this subtype. You have a very nice looking sword there.
That's a really handsome and uniquely powerful looking sword Michael,

I really like the shaping of the disc pommel. Have you and/or other folks seen this type of shaping on period examples? It's a nice departure from the typical disc pommels with a consistent thickness.
The blade must be nice & thin to be of those proportions and yet weigh well under 3lb's
I love it! I myself am working on a sword loosely based on the same example, similar hilt but blade is not quite as wide and is 10cm longer. I too am surprised that it is so light, mine is well over 3lb. Not to nitpick (don't get me wrong that is a beauty) but the grip seems to be considerably longer than on the original. Even if I had the dough right now, that would be a deal-breaker for me. I am pretty hardcore about historically correct sized grips on one-handed swords.
That is just gorgeous! What a blade, really impressive. A little too late to really capture my interest or I would buy this one in a New York minute! For anyone who doesn't know, Michael's work is top notch! Whoever buys this one will, I'm certain, love it!
Good work Michael!

I love that sword and your study is beautifully done.

(I wonder if people understand just how low the price is seeing the work you have done!?)
That's a lovely sword with a unique profile and an interesting pommel. What is the blade thickness? probably much thinner than the average medievel blade?
Thank you for all the comments!

At Roger, thickness at what point? I have documented one sword, a XIV that had a similar thickness at the guard, and at the tip, so I know my thickness are plausible. I was also able to find out the weight of the original and mine is in the neighborhood of around 50 or so grams more heavy, but the original has corrosion and no grip so...

At Peter, Thank you! There are a few things I would like to do different for when I revisit this sword again and I'm hoping that the changes will help iron out some details. Ohh the details. Plus the next one I want to do a much finer finish on :) Hopefully this one doesn't sell so I can bring it out to Ashokan.

At Scott, I agree that the grip is a little bit longer then the original, but only by less then .2" so it isn't that far off. This blade is a little bit shorter, and wider then the original, but I kept the guard about the same width, and the pommel a little larger to match the blade thickness so there is a little bit of visual unbalance. This didn't really pop out until I had the woodcore on the handle and the fittings set and cleaned up so I decided to run with it. :)

At Paul, the blade is super thin, especially at the tip, but it is certainly not flimsy. The width of the blade adds a lot of stability.

At Jeremy, the pommel is kind of my interpretation of the original from the angle shot in the original thread. I went into Photoshop and I lighten the image and increased the contrast and I found that the pommel was a little wider where it met the grip, and then slightly tapered. It is hard to tell from the images exactly what the pommels surface is profiled like but I took some artistic license and combined the info I knew with some time at the grinder and figured out what looked and felt right :)
Impressive work there. It's one of those swords that drives you to want to hold it in your hand. It would also be one of those 'conversation starter' pieces in your collection.
I appreciate this greatly. A gloriously exuberant spectacle.
Hi Michael,

I am the owner of the Original and I am POSITIVE amazed by your great achievement. so must the sword have been like 800 years ago.It looks heavy and solid but actually is very swift and feels light in the hand.
I'm not normally not so interested in subsequent reproductions but I realize that your skill to make this masterpiece has changed it drastically. I know how thin the blade must be to achieve this weight.

This type of broad XIIIb is along with the 2 centuries later and probably out of this type further developed typeXVIIIC the most effective and efficient cutting sword there is.

absolutely great performance! your sword is unique and desirable.

best,
Jasper

Attachment: 143.89 KB
P1020513-2.JPG

Cornelis Tromp wrote:
I am the owner of the Original

Now here is something that leaves wondering...and a bit envious too. Any other treasures such as this one you'd be willing to share with us Cornelis? :) More shots of this one would be great too!

J
Thank you once again for the comments and thoughts, and it is a pleasure to have you chime in Jasper. The shot of the original shows that I put a little too much curve in the surface of the pommel, a detail to be corrected next time.

Brian, Yes, this blade is just wonderful in the hand. I posted the pictures, then took a look at the blade, looked at the pictures again and they really do highlight the proportions well. If she doesn't find a home in a couple months I'll be tempted to just keep her as my personal cutter, it's about time I kept one of my pieces :)

On a side note the box is done and the sword is ready for shipping. I will be out of the shop from Saturday the 11th to Tuesday the 21st and won't be reachable so if a message or e-mail is sent at that time I will respond as soon as I get back to civilization:)
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Page 1 of 4

Jump to: