pavaise reproduction
Hi All,

I have just finished a pavaise reproduction for a customer and ready for delivery in Sterkshof this weekend.

The (large) Pavaise was a shield used by crossbowmen and was carried onto the field and placed as a temporary shield against incoming projectiles whilst the archer loaded and shot his bow. To this end they were large as they were not meant for mobile combat and thus afforded the maximum protection. They also usually feature either a wooden or metal stay or a ground spike on the bottom edge.

They almost always feature a central rib and are gently curved and very often highly decorated.

This repro is made from formed ply rather than planked and is covered in linen canvas and a modern gesso. The distinctive handle is leather covered rope and the stay is made from oiled ash with a top pivot and a bottom lashing. The carry strap has hand forged buckle and plate.

All the components are rivetted on with rose head nails.

The shield is about 1.35m tall by 60cm wide and 12mm thick (4'6" x 2' x 1/2")

The painting is based on an original.

The turned edge on the back face looks a little rough, but I have based it on the edging of an original and I like the hand made look it offers.

I hope you like it.

Tod

Attachment: 206.15 KB
pav5.jpg

Attachment: 215.57 KB
pav6.jpg

Attachment: 204.14 KB
pav3.jpg

Attachment: 161.1 KB
pav4.jpg

Attachment: 194.1 KB
pav7.jpg

Very nice Pavese, is it the piece from Schlss Tirol it is based on?

Attachment: 68.8 KB
HPIM1376.JPG

looking awesome! was it made in a single piece or did you curve the sides and cut the middle out of a bar and then attached them?
Grief, Tod, I'd say you were a renaissance man... if you didn't do so many things that were pre-renaissance. Is there any project that you've ever just flat out turned down and said "no I don't do that?"
Great! I just wonder, why aren't the rivets done below the linen and gesso in front? I assumed this was common. It was sometimes re-gessoed and repainted even when the rivets were replaced.

I'm still working on mine. Still only in my head, I'm afraid...
Thanks guys.

In order of comments:

The piece was indeed based on the one at Schloss Tirol, though that picture is the only one I had to go on.

It was formed from two curved ply panels and a central trough.

I declined a job to mumify a person earlier this year - for real. I can't say any more, but my wife was rather glad I didn't do it. Shame though as I would have a got a really good humidity and temperature controlled chamber perfect for speed seasoning wood.

I like the nail heads showing for personal reasons and I am sure it would have been done both ways.

Regards

Tod
Leo Todeschini wrote:
Thanks guys.

In order of comments:

The piece was indeed based on the one at Schloss Tirol, though that picture is the only one I had to go on.

It was formed from two curved ply panels and a central trough.

I declined a job to mumify a person earlier this year - for real. I can't say any more, but my wife was rather glad I didn't do it. Shame though as I would have a got a really good humidity and temperature controlled chamber perfect for speed seasoning wood.

I like the nail heads showing for personal reasons and I am sure it would have been done both ways.

Regards

Tod

mummify a person eh? Sounds like you're really branching out into some exciting directions. :)
Very, very awesome. :)

Is it true they were sometimes worn on the back during combat so the crossbowman could turn his back to the enemy while he reloaded and be protected?
Leo Todeschini wrote:

Alrighty then. You really do get asked to do pretty much everything! My wife didn't like it when I was using a hair on goat hide to do a bronze age scabbard (didnt' like the trimmed hair everywhere) I think I'll show her your post above and how much worse things can actually be!
Robert Hinds wrote:
Very, very awesome. :)

Is it true they were sometimes worn on the back during combat so the crossbowman could turn his back to the enemy while he reloaded and be protected?

Hi there!

I do not have any references that they were used in this way during battle, but it worked quite well when i tried it.
(with enough space around me) In a close formation it might be a bit difficult.

@Tod: Absolutely greate work!! :)

best regards,
Nicolas
Leo Todeschini wrote:

O.K. got to ask: Was this someone already dead with some odd ideas about the way they wanted to be buried ?

Or, someone wanting a mummy in the corner for their collection ?

Or, something rather weird and kinky and possibly not " survivable " i.e. the mummified person not completely dead " YET " !

Now that that is out of the way, very interesting pavaise and how much does it weigh ? I would guess that these could be more heavily constructed than a shield one had to use on one's arm in active combat but not so heavy as to be to tiring to carry from position to position. Would these be also a bit thicker to better stop arrows or crossbow bolts ?

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: