Castles in Slovenia-Austria.
Hi. My group and I wanted to make a single day long trip to a castle with an organized museum. These castles should be more or less 100km away from the italian border (we live in friul-ivenezia giulia).
Any viable suggestion?

Thanks
....Uuuh... South Tyrol is full of castles, but I've got no idea if any of them has any museum worth of notice.

Is Innsbruck still within that distance? Schloss Ambras would definately be worth your time. It's got a good selection of 16th century arms and armour and an outstanding curiosity cabinet. Never mind that the building itself is beautiful.
Ambras is nice and only ca. 60km from the italian border (thx @WWI :\ ). the armour collection is not too big, but there are some fine pieces (including ~25 worn in the battle of lepanto). besides the "castle" has one of the very few leftover renaissance great-halls, that were left originally and not baroquized later. somewhat disappointing are the 3 floors with a habsburg ancestral portrait gallery from ~1400 til ~1850. (very boring)

if you want to stay in southern tyrol i`d suggest the Churburg in Schluderns, they have some really medieval armour, Ambras only early modern.

Attachment: 13.06 KB
ambras.jpg
renaissance garden at Ambras

Attachment: 10.66 KB
churburg.jpg
gothic and earlier armour in the Churburg

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: