Go to page 1, 2  Next

Are you plannign on aquiring any arms or armour in the next 6 mo.
yes, a sword
34%
 34%  [ 37 ]
Yes, a pole arm
7%
 7%  [ 8 ]
Yes, a dagger/knife
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
Yes, Armor
21%
 21%  [ 23 ]
Yes, other related item
4%
 4%  [ 5 ]
No, My funds are going in other directions
17%
 17%  [ 19 ]
I hope so,
11%
 11%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 107

Market survey
As always I am trying to keep up on where the Arms market is at the moment and would like some help.

There are three parts to this survey.

1. Answer the topic poll.

2. Post what pieces you are planning on purchasing in the next 6 months (type, rough price).
The piece doesn't need to be from me as many Artisans will read this thread. Help us make the
pieces you want.

3. (here is where the fun comes in, and you get a chance to get a piece that you like for the price you want to pay)
A. Go to Privateer Armoury Available page
B. See what pieces you are interested in.
C. PM me what pieces you like and what you would pay for them right now, if the amount works for me then I'll contact
you and you can purchase it for what you offered. This part of the survey ends 06-01-2011

Thanks and good luck!
Ok, here goes:

I will be commissioning at least 2 swords in the next 6 months. They will both be either recreations of existing pieces or historically plausible pieces. Both will be high end and feature scabbards. There may be some inlay on the blades and/or hilts.

What I would buy if it were in stock (providing I like it of course!):

A type X, Xa, XI, or XIa with historically plausible furniture. I have a preference for brazil nut pommels but I would buy something else if it were cool. I like later viking type furniture as well; type Q, U, Y, Z, and AE are my current favorites. I prefer monosteel to pattern welded.
The imperative on my to do list:
I am ordering a specific barbuta helmet, and am planning to spend a tiny little bit more than 700€ ( ~ 1000$)

Some months after that i will order gauntlets for no more than 300€ (~ 420$) and a hand painted pavise for half of that amount
i would love to get me a Vendel gr XII spear head

In the next 6 months I hope to buy the following two pieces of armour:

1) A hauberk. Probably from Cap-a-pie in the UK
2) A helmet suitable for both Hastings (1066) and the 13th century. So, probably a conical nasal of some kind, but I haven't made up my mind.
Wish I could vote for more than one type
In the next six months I intend to buy:

1) Rings to make an aventail (sp?), with a hauberk as a possible long term project, if I manage the first one easily enough.
2) A pole arm head. Looking at multiple types regarding this, but I prefer something with langlets and percussive options in combat. I'd probably want to mount it myself for the fun of the woodworking and also to save on shipping.

Michael
In the next six months I intend to buy:

a covered breastplate (springsteel) with silk velvet, gilded buckles and nails

and pair of arms and pauldrons also in springsteel.
a set of 14th century full legs in spring steel
I'm planning to get a few things...

First is a Albion Liechtenauer longsword trainer. ($490)

And second is a sallet from Armour and Castings. ($300)

Might also get a pair of gauntlets if I can.
At the top of my list is a riveted mail standard (approx. $150 USD).
I have a custom Anglo-Saxon sword being made by Christian Fletcher. Hopefully it will be completed in less than 6 months :cool:
Within the next 6 months I intend to buy an Albion Arn sword @ $961., an A&A Black Prince sword @ $780., and one more sword from either Albion or A&A, model yet to be determined.
I will be purchasing a Christian Fletcher / Atrim 1592 $1500 (rough guess till work is done) end of June
and a Albion Discerner $2000 to be completed in May/June.
This was a rough on for me as I plan to not only pick up some new training swords, but I'd like a pole axe, a rondel or ballock dagger, and some mitten gauntlets as well. So I guess my vote would Be for all the above? :\
I have 2 custom swords that should be coming in this summer - a Mortuary and a Walloon. Also, I may buy one ot the 2 XIIIb models that Gus Trim is designing.
I commissioned a Gotland Axe from craig at A&A last year, that I hope will be completed within the next six months, so that should qualify

Also Sonny at Valiant is totally rebuiding a Cawood sword that should be a remarkable work..

Regards
Robert
I am not sure if I will, but id I do it will be a fantasy seax/tanto hybrid of some kind from Mad Dwarf or having Michael Pikula make me a sword of some type. Or mayb having John at Odin make me a LOTR inspired sword for a ranger. Decisions, decisions. Money as usual is the final decision maker for me though.
Nothing specific on the horizon at the moment which is a good thing since it means that when I end up wanting something I will have accumulated enough funds to do it within a reasonable budgeted sort of thing.

From my past pattern either I will see something I like that I won't be able to resist, something will come to mind filling a gap in my collection i.e. something I don't already have something similar of, or I will have an idea for a design and then find and decide who I want to make it.

I do like the idea of buying something available for immediate sale rather than long waits for a custom project, but there are a few makers I consider reliable in their time estimates that I also like their work.

The odds are highest for a sword followed closely by a polearm or dagger.

Armour is also a possibility and mostly helms attract me most as stand alone pieces. ( One can collect helms independently of the rest of the armour and in many cases one can mix and match arms, legs and breast plates with the helm being the most important piece defining period within a reasonable range of time periods if one isn't too fussy about being 100% period accurate ).
My next purchase just began, I sent the money the other day for a Lutel "halberd" (in fact more of a roncone/guisarme/bill) : http://www.lutel-handicraft.com/?p=productsMo...berd-20020

If I make any other purchase this year, it would probably be another polearm, or maybe a spadone/zweihänder/other big sword. I decided I like very long weapons (no jokes on overcompensating, I get those every time I state this preference :p )

If I did buy any piece from you, Ben, it would be the messer and by-knife, which I find very nice and already reasonably priced (although I would ask if it could be made without by-knife for less). I suppose I will have to buy a messer at some point, but I've more or less decided to limit myself to long, two-handed weapons (polearms & two-handed swords) for the time being as that is my preference in handling and looks, and I already have enough longswords for the time being...

Hope this helps! ;)
In the next 6 months I hope to buy the following two swords:

A&A Black Prince
A&A Edward III Sword

Also have 3-custom long swords being made by John at Odin Blades.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: