Hand forged Scottish pistols
There is a chap who advertised in MUZZLE BLASTS magazine named Art Brown who was making hand forged Scottish pistols, blades, etc. I HAVE NOT SEEN HIS WORK, so I can't judge quality, BUT if anyone has seen Brown's products, I'd like a review. He quoted me a price of $700 for a "plain" pistol. Don't know what time frame he does. I would lean more towards the RIFLE SHOPPE pistol if I wanted something that actually worked! Too much "crappe" out there being sold as "authentic". For newbies, the parts sets sold by TRS are NOT for beginners! You need some gunsmithing skills and access to a drill press, etc. If you can't assemble a Pedersoli kit, DON'T even THINK about building a TRS product by yourself.
Re: Hand forged Scottish pistols
Peter Stines wrote:
There is a chap who advertised in MUZZLE BLASTS magazine named Art Brown who was making hand forged Scottish pistols, blades, etc. I HAVE NOT SEEN HIS WORK, so I can't judge quality, BUT if anyone has seen Brown's products, I'd like a review. He quoted me a price of $700 for a "plain" pistol. Don't know what time frame he does. I would lean more towards the RIFLE SHOPPE pistol if I wanted something that actually worked! Too much "crappe" out there being sold as "authentic". For newbies, the parts sets sold by TRS are NOT for beginners! You need some gunsmithing skills and access to a drill press, etc. If you can't assemble a Pedersoli kit, DON'T even THINK about building a TRS product by yourself.

I have attached the one and only photo I have seen of Mr. Brown's work. A single photo does not tell a complete tale but this is the only thing I have seen that he made. I got this photo 6 years ago when I was preparing my book on Scottish Firearms. I also talked to Art for quite some time and he was interesting to talk with.

I agree with you that The Rifle Shoppe kit is the best thing available and also that it is beyond the ability of most people to assemble. However there are a number of people/businesses out there who will assemble the kits for a reasonable fee. The report now is that the castings TRS is providing these days are better quality than in the past. By the way, if you will read back a ways in the forum you will see several discussions about replica Scottish pistols.

Aye...

Lin

Attachment: 100.53 KB
Brown_5.gif

Brown's pistols
Thanks for the photo. Art was supposed to send me some pictures but he never got around to it. He did a nice job on a gunstock I sent to him. A word of warning to all parties wanting TRS parts assembled. DO NOT do business with JOHN BOSH of Mass. He is a HACK and a THIEF! He butchered several guns and stole an original 1816 North pistol from me.
He works for Jess at TRS but don't let him do any work! He's put short breech plugs in several guns. NOT SAFE!!!!
Now, maybe you can help me in another matter. I'm digging into the Campbell gunmakers. My great grandmother was a Campbell and while I don't know if there is a connection, I'd like to see some more data. Even if there is no connection, a repro Campbell pistol would be nice to play with. BTW How do I get a copy of your book ?
Just sent a PM. Thanks for the interest.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: