Obscene hand gestures on armor
Hi,

I recall seeing obscene hand gestures(the cuckold and the up your anus) filigreed on the trim of a suit of armor, does anyone have a picture of this or a link to it?

Thanks
Google "fico armour" and you'll find what you're looking for. :)

[ Linked Image ]
Neat. Ya learn something every day.

From Bonhams:

Quote:
The style of the etching is in the manner of the master who decorated the so-called 'Fico' armour, made by Wolfgang Grosschedel of Landshut, pieces of which are scattered through various collections. It derives its name from the inclusion among its motifs of the apotropaic/obscene gesture known in Italian as the 'Fico' (German 'Feige') made with a clenched fist with the thumb protruding between the index and middle figures. This is not included among the motifs on the present piece, but others are very similar to those found on the Grosschedel armour. The etching on a couter belonging to the armour in the Museum fur Deutsche Geschichte, Berlin, is signed 'ES' possibly for Erhard Schön of Nuremberg (d. 1542)

I guess the etching motif on the crossbow in my collection would be considered of a similar style.
AWESOME THANKS GUYS
If my memory serves me correctly, Michael B. on this forum has a collection of Fico armour photographs. Try sending him a PM.
Thanks for the response...Glad to see fighting men thru the ages have had a sense of humor
Nathan Robinson wrote:
Neat. Ya learn something every day.

Quote:
apotropaic

Ya sure do! I'm going to try and use that word once a day for the next week.

Quote:

I guess the etching motif on the crossbow in my collection would be considered of a similar style.

That's the most ... curious ... representation of an elephant I've ever seen!

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: