Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Paul Chen Hanwei Godfred Redid Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Fri 14 Apr, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh wow, maybe I am not thinking along the best lines here. Perhaps I should consider sending the blade of the Grosse Messer and a piece of that cocoabola wood to you Kirk. Perhaps, also send you my Godfred Viking Sword.

Sincerely,

Bob
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 14 Apr, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob Burns wrote:
Oh wow, maybe I am not thinking along the best lines here. Perhaps I should consider sending the blade of the Grosse Messer and a piece of that cocoabola wood to you Kirk. Perhaps, also send you my Godfred Viking Sword.

Sincerely,

Bob

Sounds like a great idea if Kirk wanted to do it, in sure you would get back something really impressive from all the home projects I've seen here in previous topic threads. you might even end up being happy the Grosse Messer broke. Wink

I have the Godfred Viking also and it's not bad for what it is, but Kirk made his into a work of art. Cool Cool Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Kirk Lee Spencer

Spotlight topics: 6

PostPosted: Wed 19 Apr, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sam, Mike, Bob and Jean....

You guys are great!

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I have been away from the forum for awhile on school business. I'm so busy right now that I could not take any commission work. I do have a baskethilted saber I am trying to finish. It was almost done and then I decided to put new fullers in the blade... so I am currently trying to figure out how to do that with a dremel tool. I will post pictures and my experiences when it is done.

Thanks again guys... I'm glad you're here.

ks

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of iron and one of ink
To place within a bloody hand
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 19 Apr, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kirk Lee Spencer wrote:
Sam, Mike, Bob and Jean....

You guys are great!

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I have been away from the forum for awhile on school business. I'm so busy right now that I could not take any commission work. I do have a baskethilted saber I am trying to finish. It was almost done and then I decided to put new fullers in the blade... so I am currently trying to figure out how to do that with a dremel tool. I will post pictures and my experiences when it is done.

Thanks again guys... I'm glad you're here.

ks

Dremel tool. Eek! Anybody can hold one! Having a hand steady enough to make a strait line or a controlled curve with one is something else when it's fighting with you trying to skip sideways out of the path you are trying keep it going on. Eek! Cool

Kirk Lee Spencer

PostPosted: Thu 20 Apr, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Jean...

To get the channel started in a straight line, I took clamps and clamped steel billets (from Home Depot) on the blade the width of the fuller. I used this as a sort of template to confine the grinding stone of the Dremel. It made a perfectly straight groove in the middle. Once the groove is there the dremel tool will follow it. You just need to make sure that it is cutting into the groove, pulling the dremel toward the center of the groove, rather and out of it. In such case it is relatively easy to keep it in place. Then it is just a matter of taking full cuts along the groove moving the edges wider and wider. You can use a permanent marker line to help keep the edge of the fuller straight. Then part of the right size oak dowel rod wrapped in very coarse sand paper or emery will polish the grinding marks out.

ks

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 20 Apr, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kirk Lee Spencer wrote:
Hi Jean...

To get the channel started in a straight line, I took clamps and clamped steel billets (from Home Depot) on the blade the width of the fuller. I used this as a sort of template to confine the grinding stone of the Dremel. It made a perfectly straight groove in the middle. Once the groove is there the dremel tool will follow it. You just need to make sure that it is cutting into the groove, pulling the dremel toward the center of the groove, rather and out of it. In such case it is relatively easy to keep it in place. Then it is just a matter of taking full cuts along the groove moving the edges wider and wider. You can use a permanent marker line to help keep the edge of the fuller straight. Then part of the right size oak dowel rod wrapped in very coarse sand paper or emery will polish the grinding marks out.

ks

Setting up guides of some sort it a very good idea and using the direction the tool wants to go instead of fighting it makes a lot of sense. I have in the past done minor detail work on some knives with varying degrees of success just freehand.
Establishing that first cut path and not skipping out of the groove channel at the very beginning is the most difficult part.

I've found that using a single or numerous stacked cutting wheels cuts very VERY fast and better than the usual blob of a cutting stone on a stick: Works well for sculpting ( File work ) on the back of dirks or folding knives.

Years ago I made a few Eagle headed walking canes using prospectors rock pics using hand held rotary grinders: A bit like people using chain saws to sculpt wood. Oh, mostly using the rotating edge rather than the flat of the disks to cut into the material.

Kirk Lee Spencer

PostPosted: Thu 20 Apr, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Jean...

I have thought about using stacked cutting wheels in that fashion but never tried it.... good to hear that it works.

ks

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
Bob Burns

PostPosted: Thu 20 Apr, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you Kirk, for your very nice response! That's OK, it was just having thought about it, I felt I really should offer you the work if you wanted it, money up front of course, if there is one thing I abide by, it's paying private persons and businesses in an absolute prompt manner! I've read that swordsmiths have been burned and I think that is atrocious, it surely violates "my" principles of honor! I have seen your work and thought well I bet Kirk could do something interesting with this Grosse Messer by Cold Steel (of whom have still not responded to any of the emails). But that is OK really, because I will have fun doing something with the blade. I was a cabinet maker for 7 years and have done a lot of custom stuff, so I will just apply the principles and I am sure I will come up with a nice hilt on this blade, it will be fun and it will be a learning experience. I just thought you deserved 1st consideration!

Thanks again Kirk and a big sword salute to you!

Bob
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 20 Apr, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob;

That Grosse ( Grosse which means big in French and not disgusting as in gross in English. ) Messier with a bit of work could become a small Falchion.

Bob Burns

PostPosted: Fri 21 Apr, 2006 2:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's an Excellent idea Jean! Thanks!

Bob
Sean Page

PostPosted: Thu 16 Jul, 2015 8:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I know this is an old post, but wow!
I am getting that sword and would very much like to do something similar.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Paul Chen Hanwei Godfred Redid
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: