New Material Science Brakethrough
I don't think this material is something for historical weapon reproductions, but it might be an interesting material for more modern weapon parts in the future.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/05/110512150815.htm
I suppose you could call a weapon made from that material a magic sword.
Please note that it is the update in processing , not the material itself. Look on the net for metallic glass and liquid metal, then you will see quite a bit of discussion regarding the material(s) for blades. Other uses have been fairly widespread already with cell phones, camera cases, etc. I believe it was RW Clark that was working with a company producing the material and that the one sword projected (I don't recall if it was ever made) was a katana blade. Other knife makers have been working available stock for some years now. All this a decade ago.

Cheers

GC
Glen A Cleeton wrote:
Please note that it is the update in processing , not the material itself. Look on the net for metallic glass and liquid metal, then you will see quite a bit of discussion regarding the material(s) for blades. Other uses have been fairly widespread already with cell phones, camera cases, etc. I believe it was RW Clark that was working with a company producing the material and that the one sword projected (I don't recall if it was ever made) was a katana blade. Other knife makers have been working available stock for some years now. All this a decade ago.

Cheers

GC

Quite true, the article does say it is a technology developed decades ago. However the new processing methodology uses a lower temperatures, which means that it is a lot easier to use now. Essentially you cast the blade and don't have to worry as much about the mold being ruined from higher temperatures of the material as in the past. Likewise the lower temperatures mean you can use cheaper equipment to produce a part, or blade. I'm pretty sure this will lead to things like gun parts and say, bayonets being created with this material in the future.
I would still suggest a follow up of any interested to check out discussions regarding the material sciences and weaponry over the past decade. It is not that the topic seems overlooked and now somewhat redundant to current events but overlooking what has already been is a bit of oversight many will adopt. Firearms projections for the alloys go way back as well.

http://www.liquidmetal.com/index/default.asp

Cheers

GC
I get it!
Now we can make Cinderellas glass shoes and they won't break after midnight! ;)

Actually a pretty cool material. I'm sure in 10 years time we'll see a lot more of it, I can imagine motor vehicle applications, kitchen knives, drill and mill heads and so on. In 20 years almost all strong metal casting could be replaced with this metal glass.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: