Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Bayerisches Armeemuseum, Ingolstadt Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Michal Spilka
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 10 May, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Bayerisches Armeemuseum, Ingolstadt         Reply with quote

Hello,

I´m planning a trip to Ingolstadt and I´d like to visit Bayerisches Armeemuseum.
Does anybody know if it´s any good? Could you give me some information about it?
Are there some interesting swords on display?

Thanks a lot for any comments!

Michal

Michal Spilka
Nielo - Sword
Kurt Scholz

PostPosted: Tue 10 May, 2011 11:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's been a very very long time since I was there and I can't really remember something that struck me except the big pioniermesser with a saw on the back.
Rothenburg ob der Tauber is also quite near with a renown museum of the Middle Ages, especially of torture instruments. and on the way there is Nördlingen that still has its medieval fortification preserved plus you can search for the next archaeopteryx Wink
Neil Melville

PostPosted: Tue 10 May, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Michal,
I was in Ingolstadt many years ago but I remember that the BAM has a lot of two-handed swords and some armour. By co-incidence I am planning to visit it again in mid June so I'll post an update when I return home if that is not too late for you.

N Melville
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Tue 10 May, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I believe they also have some great crossbows. Hard to pass up such a unique crossbow. The prod is five feet long.

RPM
Michal Spilka
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 12 May, 2011 9:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for your ideas!

For Neil:
I´m planning the trip in the beginning of July, so it´d be great if you could post some infos then :-)

Regards, Michal

Michal Spilka
Nielo - Sword
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Thu 12 May, 2011 9:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I found the museum at Ingolstadt to be a bit disappointing. Their earliest pieces on display, at least at the time I visited, were from the late 15th century, although the vast majority of their displays were pieces from the 16th through 18th centuries. This is fine if you like later Renaissance and Early Modern swords and weapons, but they're not really my thing.

They've got an excellent collection of Renaissance two-handed swords, and quite a few 17th century swords that look very similar to Arms and Armor's Town Guard Sword. There is also a decent collection of 16th and 17th century harnesses on display, among other things.

Personally, I think the museum at Rothenburg ob der Tauber that Kurt mentioned is much better for variety, especially if you like medieval swords and arms. There's also an old house in the city that was originally built in the 13th century, and i's outer structure and parts of the interior are the same as when it was originally built.

Another place worth stopping, if you can, is Nuremburg, which has some nice pieces too. There's nice harnesses and arms and armour in the museum, as well as several swords from the 11th-14th centuries (if I am not mistaken) on display at the castle.
Neil Melville

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jun, 2011 8:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Michal,
Just back from sunny Bavaria. I have to echo what Craig says - there are 2 rooms of pieces of 15th century armour + 2 complete harnesses, a room with 12 two-handers, all c.1600, scattered pieces of artillery, a large hall with about 20 half-armours from the 30 Yrs War and a dozen swords of the Munchen Town Guard by Stantler, a room of beer mugs!, then more 17th and 18th century stuff. It is what its name says - the Bavarian Army Museum - ie post-medieval. Nurnberg has a lot of more interesting stuff eg. a whole row of 15th cent. jousting armours, + swords + firearms. Both the Nat. Museum and the castle are worth visiting. Also the Museum at Rothenburg o.d. Tauber (with new large expensive catalogue of the arms collection), the castle + museum at Passau; not much A+A at Regensburg. Hope this is useful.
Neil

N Melville
William P

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jun, 2011 8:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

in comparison how does the styrian armoury compare? ( THAT styrian armoury the landze.. something haus) to things such as the wallace collection (unfortunately i havent seen ANY of such armoury collections, )
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jun, 2011 9:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William P wrote:
in comparison how does the styrian armoury compare? ( THAT styrian armoury the landze.. something haus) to things such as the wallace collection (unfortunately i havent seen ANY of such armoury collections, )

The Landeszeughaus is a preserved armoury as opposed to a private collection, so there's less variety in both content and chronology, but it's a stunning sight. Because the objects are in racks or on simple stands rather than behind glass as works of art, the viewer is reminded of the practical point of the stuff. It's also instructive to see hundreds of polearms in one place, racked and ready for distribution. Gives you some idea of the industrial organization associated with manufacture of arms and armour. If you're most interested in 16th and 17th c munition arms and armour, Graz is a a must. If you're most interested in elite arms and armour or earlier periods you'll be disappointed.

Wallace Collection also has fantastic examples of workaday arms and armour but it's a private collection rather than an armoury. That means it covers more both chronologically and culturally. The most important pieces in the collection have been published in one place or another and Toby Capwell is working on a CDR catalog.

Both museums are exceptional. They don't really overlap in any way, so comparison is difficult.

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Michal Spilka
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jun, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Neil Melville wrote:
Hi Michal,
Just back from sunny Bavaria. I have to echo what Craig says - there are 2 rooms of pieces of 15th century armour + 2 complete harnesses, a room with 12 two-handers, all c.1600, scattered pieces of artillery, a large hall with about 20 half-armours from the 30 Yrs War and a dozen swords of the Munchen Town Guard by Stantler, a room of beer mugs!, then more 17th and 18th century stuff. It is what its name says - the Bavarian Army Museum - ie post-medieval. Nurnberg has a lot of more interesting stuff eg. a whole row of 15th cent. jousting armours, + swords + firearms. Both the Nat. Museum and the castle are worth visiting. Also the Museum at Rothenburg o.d. Tauber (with new large expensive catalogue of the arms collection), the castle + museum at Passau; not much A+A at Regensburg. Hope this is useful.
Neil

Hi Neil,
thanks for your great and really helpful research !
I´ll follow your steps next month Cool
All the best,
Michal

Michal Spilka
Nielo - Sword
Gottfried P. Doerler

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jun, 2011 2:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i recall seeing some pieces from the bavarian army museum in diverse osprey titles, so as for those titles i also suppose it deals more with 18th and also 19th cent. (osprey`s titles on the franco-prussion war has some photos with werder-rifles...dreyse-needle-guns...from this museum)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Bayerisches Armeemuseum, Ingolstadt
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic