Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Vendel madness! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next 
E. Storesund

PostPosted: Mon 01 Aug, 2011 5:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I barely touched my guitar after getting mine. Still experimenting with different scales, but I think I have landed on something decent. Feels like I'm learning it all over again now that I've changed my tuning routine.

My friend has one with taplow mounts and a body in woad with madder tuning pegs. I put a picture up in "show us your kits..." a month or so ago, I believe it is possible to barely make out my lyre in the background.
Paul Mortimer

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Tue 02 Aug, 2011 8:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can see two fine looking lyres. The Taplow with woad looks very like mine. I can't play mine at all, though!

Paul
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Tue 02 Aug, 2011 11:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Come on Bruce you do not look fat, just well fed! Nothing wrong with that.

You gents and your ladies really are doing a great job doing this. My wife'd likely not be happy if I added another kit to my current one but I am really getting into it. I have always loves the Anglian helmet book and all the neat early medieval helmets in it. I am working on a late Roman cavalry helmet that is sort of like some of them.

I'd love to use some of your pictures for my early medieval section I am doing if that is alright with you.

If anyone has info on medieval music my wife is interested in learning about it but I have to admit I am finding very little on the subject, especially in playing of said instruments.

RPM
Bjorn ter Keurs

PostPosted: Tue 02 Aug, 2011 12:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wauw ! Stunning pictures and beautiful reconstructions ! Big Grin
E. Storesund

PostPosted: Tue 02 Aug, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sadly there is really little information to be gathered on early medieval and iron age secular music. On my lyres I often play an interpretation of the Freisinger Petruslied, which is the oldest german religious composition we have apparently, dating to the 9th century.

Sequentia and Benjamin Bagby have done a lot of good work in the vein of comparative reconstruction, and I think that is more or less the way to go when it comes to trying to establish something at least a little bit close to plausible. Though I think they sometimes sound a little polished. Still intersting work though.
Matthew Bunker

PostPosted: Fri 26 Aug, 2011 2:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul Mortimer wrote:

I have taken the opportunity to add an additional picture or two. One is of Matt Bunker -- a doughty warrior if ever there was one!

Doughty? 'Doubty' more like....I'm not sure that the green belt goes with the red war-coat.

"If a Greek can do it, two Englishman certainly can !"
David Huggins

PostPosted: Fri 26 Aug, 2011 2:57 am    Post subject: Vendel Madness         Reply with quote

Ah but it suits you sir, Matt...how about posting some of your nicely executed scabbards here for the pleasure of fellow forumites?

best
Dave

and he who stands and sheds blood with us, shall be as a brother.
Paul Mortimer

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 26 Aug, 2011 7:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good idea, Dave .... green is definitely your colour Matt! Some scabbards, please.

Paul
Matthew Bunker

PostPosted: Thu 15 Sep, 2011 2:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul Mortimer wrote:
Good idea, Dave .... green is definitely your colour Matt! Some scabbards, please.

Paul

Here you go then.
This is the one I finished last week for Nic Stockenstrand in Sweden. Based on various 5th century elements from Nydam, ash cored, veg tan cover is carved and then dyed with two shades of walnut-based dye. All metalwork is 'copper-alloy' and is made by the time honoured method of hitting things with a hammer until they're the right shape.

Attachment: 96.87 KB
nicdone2.JPG

Attachment: 209.29 KB
nicdone3.JPG

Attachment: 203.06 KB
nicdone4.JPG

"If a Greek can do it, two Englishman certainly can !"
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 15 Sep, 2011 6:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Beautiful work
William P

PostPosted: Thu 15 Sep, 2011 6:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

if his is 'beating it until it fits"

i eagerly await the time you use even more complex techniques because that is really good,
Paul Hansen

PostPosted: Thu 15 Sep, 2011 10:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Really, really nice work!
Gregory J. Liebau

PostPosted: Thu 15 Sep, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've seen quite a bit of this work and you fellows in your kit over in the Vendel research thread and elsewhere, floating around the WWW... But the images posted here give me no doubt in my mind that you collective lot are one of the most inspired, dedicated and researched reenactment groups on the face of the planet today.

Enjoy yourselves. This is all magnificent. Truly.

-Gregory
David Huggins

PostPosted: Sat 17 Sep, 2011 3:42 am    Post subject: Vendel Madness         Reply with quote

Hi

On behalf of Wulfheodenas Gregory, thank you for your kind words and support. It is fair comment to say that we are not alone and that there are many equally passionate groups and individuals who excel in what they do. As a group we have been fortunate to bring together a base of excellent crafts-folk who by their own skills and commitment to their art have aided us in realising our recreations.

best wishes
Dave

William P

PostPosted: Sat 17 Sep, 2011 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: Vendel Madness         Reply with quote

David Huggins wrote:
Hi

On behalf of Wulfheodenas Gregory, thank you for your kind words and support. It is fair comment to say that we are not alone and that there are many equally passionate groups and individuals who excel in what they do. As a group we have been fortunate to bring together a base of excellent crafts-folk who by their own skills and commitment to their art have aided us in realising our recreations.

best wishes
Dave

it mght just be the fact im mostly seeing the groups that post herwe, but i have NEVER seen such exquisite finery in helms and fittings and equipment, aside from YOUR group
this s coming from someone who is used to seing A a field of people in fairly utilitarian pieces of ger, or just fantasy helms. neer before have i seen gear whch blends usability and exquisitness (even if you dont FIGHT using those amazing helms. )
Gregory J. Liebau

PostPosted: Sat 17 Sep, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Vendel Madness         Reply with quote

David Huggins wrote:
Hi

best wishes
Dave

Dave,

I meant to put no other groups down by singling out Wulfheodenas, but I honestly believe there is some truth to my statement! There are certainly reenactment troops the world over who have put thousands of hours, dollars and moments of frustration and perfectionism into their work... The jousters who fight in the IJA come to mind, or numerous Roman reenactment groups from Italy or the Brandenburg German group or their associates in Germany who do wonderful High Middle Age encampments. The list goes on, truly... And that's only when I consider the ancient and Medieval European world, which I am an aficionado of!

But I do not believe I have seen the results of any single group which have culminated into such a fine spectacle and array of exquisite and accurate reproductions as what I see before me in this thread. You have half a dozen men in your group who are outfitted to the nines with some of the finest reproductions of some of the most detailed and beautiful artifacts known to man! From the embossed helmets to the shield bosses to the thousands of garnets tucked into so many of the buckles, hilts, pommels and what have you to the beautifully forged blades and excellent scabbards, belts, pouches and other leather working... The embroidered tunics, the painted shields, whatever! It all comes together in what has got to be, in my opinion, the most stunning reenactment display I've ever seen.

And the coolest thing about it is that all of you guys can make this look so damn impressive, and you don't even need to have armor on! That's one of the most stand-out affairs in your whole business. The mail and helms certainly make the warrior look come to life, but they are not necessary to create the feeling. On the other hand, most reenactment groups who work with warrior cultures tend to give their armor a great deal of weight in making their impressions come together and simply overlook other details because armor is their "wow" factor. Wulfheodenas, on the other hand, is working from the bottom up, and you men have surpassed any other group I can imagine in bringing to life the minutiae. So very, very impressive.

-Gregory
David Huggins

PostPosted: Sun 18 Sep, 2011 3:15 am    Post subject: Vendel madness         Reply with quote

Hi Gregory

My apologies if you felt I was implying that you where overlooking other groups, that was not my intent but wished to acknowledge other re-enactors and living historians who also suffer a malady of passion , or in our case as Paul names it.... Vendel Madness!

All the very best
Dave

Gregory J. Liebau

PostPosted: Sun 18 Sep, 2011 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Vendel madness         Reply with quote

David Huggins wrote:
Hi Gregory

My apologies if you felt I was implying that you where overlooking other groups, that was not my intent but wished to acknowledge other re-enactors and living historians who also suffer a malady of passion , or in our case as Paul names it.... Vendel Madness!

All the very best
Dave

On the contrary, Dave! Your statement just made me realize that I'd better have a damn good reason for making my own! As mentioned, I think you guys do a damn fine job. I've been working on a couple of panoplies from different eras lately and would really like to get at least one of them as top-notch as the kits you fellows have. I'm thinking that may cause me to abandon one or the other for some extra funds and time, should be worth the while, though! Big Grin

-Gregory
David Huggins

PostPosted: Sun 18 Sep, 2011 11:35 am    Post subject: Vendel Madness         Reply with quote

Your welcome Gregory

May I further add that the vision of Arion Ziliox of the Germany based group Ulfhednar, whose wonderful recreations of Merovingian artifacts and credo of grave assembly recreations provided many of us with the inspiration to what was possible and further push our own boundaries.

best
Dave

Bruce Tordoff
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 06 Nov, 2011 9:45 am    Post subject: Vendel Madness         Reply with quote

Hi All,
just to let any interested parties know, Our Group, 'Wulfheodenas' feature in the National Geographic Documentary, Lost gold of the Dark ages, which airs in the US on Monday 7th Nov, (tomorrow) at 9pm (I think, check listings).
Mainly about the Staffordshire hoard and consequently the Anglo Saxon warrior aristocracy. However, as you will notice the several Vendel/ Valsgarde helms and bit and bobs, this is to allude to the 'press blech' helm that the fragments found in the hoard probably belonged to. Also given the cultural relationship of Sutton Hoo and the Swedish royal graves, we felt this was acceptable within the bounds of authenticity., You will of course recognise fellow forumites, Paul Mortimer, Matt Bunker, Dave Huggins and myself among the rest of our brooding warband. Enjoy.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Vendel madness!
Page 3 of 7 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: