King's Champions or I've Lost My Mind and Want to Joust
Hi All,

After a little bit of thought (which those that know me will say is no mean feat!) and after reading the postings on the other thread, I would like to put out a "feeler":

Anyone who has interest in joining the King's Champions joust troupe and the International Jousting Association (www.worldjousting.com) should send me an email.

Due to the efforts of Bob "he's MY Squire" Ranke, I now have room to build a tiltyard/training facility here in Wisconsin (where I am going to get all the horses and how to afford them is still up in the air). I am looking for those (men and women) who are not afraid of learning from the ground up (meaning you'll either start as a page or a squire and earn your spurs the old fashioned way).

What I envision for the KC is much less of a joust show and more of a realistic demonstration of knightly skills on and off of horseback. While much of the swordplay will be choreographed (for safety's sake and to ensure and interesting interlude in the show) all of the jousting and mounted games will not. What I would dearly love to present to audiences is a historical Pas d' Armes, with one knight acting as Tenan and the other three - five as Venans. It will not be scripted and each knight that comes into the arena will have a choice of mounted baston or one of three styles of jousting (realgestech, northern itallian, or french). The Tenan will take a vow in the first show of the weekend (to break a number of lances, etc. for the glory of his lady, queen, king, horse...) and do his level best to achieve his vow.

KC, as a part of the Historic Camelot Project, would also be geared up to provide authentic period educational programs from simple talks to swordfights to joust shows. Not only in Wisconsin but across the US and Canada.

If you are interested send me a PM with your questions and defining your area of interest.

Cheers!
I think we should add that we could use support personel as well. If you don't really want to get into any of it, but you are interested in the sport/Time period, don't hesitate to let us know. My wife, for instance, is making clothing.
And Leatherworkers.... always a need for them.... (all we need now is a good flute player)
We could also use some people for the harvest festival. Ground people and go-fers.

Working with this new "family" has been great, and I think we have alot to offer.

Ok, I have babbled on enough........ so much for being a lurker.

Bob
Well, I have definitely lost my mind... and I definitely want to joust... the only problem is one of time... working long hours dutring the week and working most weekends doesn't leave me a lot of time to do my share of squirely duties...

Best,

Howy
Howy,

For any Albion members that want to go on this journey with us, we will find a way. You all are considered part of the King's Champion family, and we will work with schedules to get everyone who wishes the chance to "break spears".
Another reason to move to Wisconsin :D If I wasn't in the military and could move there, I would definitely take you up on this. Something to look forward to when I retire :D
Hi Robert,

When we get it up and running, I would really like to have a few one to two week "seminars" to provide people with the basics (and more) of becoming jousting knights. I will definitely keep this board updated as things progress.

Cheers!
Hi Lloyd,

That sounds really cool! :cool: While I think I will stick to engineering as a profession, part of me has always wanted to try jousting. I guess just the thought of charging into battle appeals to the inner knight :D ( :idea: I say Nathan, how about a knight emoticon? :idea: ). Unfortunately, California-Wisconsin is just bit longer than I want to commute. Still, UIUC is an option for grad school, who knows?

Happy jousting!
Nate if you are interested I can hook you up with joust training in Cali (and no, it is not with the American Jousting Association!).

Clif Basset, one of the King's Champions and head knight for the Knights of Azure Cross lives in Sanger. He is always willing and able to train new people (you will get a thorough lesson from the "ground" up though). He is also one of two Level 4 International Jousting Association (www.worldjousting.com - not the other IJA) Riders in the US (myself being the other) who can grade jousters to compete in the IJA.

The other jouster I would highly recommend is Jeff Hedgecock of Historic Enterprises. He has been putting on joust training classes this year and I am sure that he plans to do more. Jeff is a great guy and you would definitely learn a lot.

Of course, once we are up and running here in Wisconsin, you will always be welcome to come and train with us!

Cheers!

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: