Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Review Jim Austin Danish Broad axeProduct Review Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Ted Bouck

PostPosted: Thu 05 May, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: Review Jim Austin Danish Broad axe         Reply with quote

Greetings to everyone,

I had the opportunity to purchase one of Jim Austin's Viking war axes, and this is a review of the Axe and the transaction. [To the moderator, if this review should be somewhere else, I apologize, and please move.]

First go to my Flickr site for pictures of the axe:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/eldesar

See Dane axe set.

Next a description of the axe -

The Dane Axe has an edge length of 7.75" and is 8.375" from the BACK of the poll to the edge. From the middle line of the handle to the edge it is 7.25". The haft hole is 1.6" wide at that point - the haft that fits this hole fills the hand and gives good control of the weapon. The axe head by itself weighs 635 grams.

The body of the axe was forged from a single block of 1018 and the edge inlay is 1070. The edge was oil quenched and tempered to 440 deg. F. All joinery was performed by forge welding as shown in the tutorials.

Now my impressions:
I must say that Jim is very professional and timely / prompt in his communications, his descriptions, the packaging of axe head and handle were top notch, the axe came more than sharp enough. It was not stoned to a razors edge, but I would not want that anyway. The axe is Super sweet, and light like the originals for fast cutting action. I would personally designate this axe in between the Petersen Type M and L. I have done some cutting tests with the axe, and was very pleased and impressed with the axes ability to effortlessly cut through the leather coupons [see pics] and into the pole. The cutting tests of approx. 30 cuts did no damage to axe or edge.! The cuts were made both using inside [close range] cutting body turns, and outside [far range] pole axe chops to the target. All using 2 hands on haft of course.

Mr. Austin also followed up with a call to ensure I not only received the axe, but that I was pleased and happy with it. As you can tell, I am 100% satisfied. I would buy another axe from Jim in a heart beat.

Best Regards,
Ted Bouck
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Thu 05 May, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lovely axe! Similar to what I want to have made when I have the money needed... Could you maybe pm me about at least general price range this one was?
Matt Corbin

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jun, 2011 10:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations on the purchase. Jim makes some of the nicest axes available anywhere.
“This was the age of heroes, some legendary, some historical . . . the misty borderland of history where fact and legend mingle.”
- R. Ewart Oakeshott
William P

PostPosted: Sun 26 Jun, 2011 1:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

forget the axe (though i love it all the same) sign me up for one of those lamellar vests, those are VISBY lamellar plates
Einar Drønnesund

PostPosted: Sun 26 Jun, 2011 5:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've been drooling over mr Austins axes for some time now. They really are gorgeous. Congratulations.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Review Jim Austin Danish Broad axeProduct Review
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic