Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Two Swords for Solingen 2011 Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Isaac H.

Reading list: 4 books

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Thu 05 May, 2011 11:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

hehe..who says they DON"T have magical powers ? Wink
Wounds of flesh a surgeons skill may heal...

But wounded honor is only cured with steel.

We who are strong ought to bear with the failings of the weak and not to please ourselves.
Each of us should please his neighbor for his good ,to build him up.
Romans 15:1-2
Tom Kinder

PostPosted: Thu 05 May, 2011 1:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was talking to Gus on the phone the yesterday and he told me I had to come look at the swords you posted here in this thread because they were drop-dead gorgeous, and what can I say: they ARE!

I really like the XIV(a) and I find its type and dimensions very interesting. I always wondered why there wasn't a XIVa category by Oakeshott. I knew there wasn't a lot of representation in surviving swords but logically the type should be there. good to see it.

the timeless sword is way sexy too its just the XIV spoke to me in a louder voice.

thank you so much for sharing this with us Peter, you've done superior work once again.
Herbert Schmidt

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 06 May, 2011 8:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For those of you who are interested, here is a short video of the fair and some shots of the sword.
It also includes rare footage of test cutting by Peter Johnsson Big Grin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiB2snop7iI

hope you like it!

Herbert

www.arsgladii.at
Historical European Martial Arts
G. Ghazarian
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 06 May, 2011 9:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter, you consistently do quality work and you have my respect for it.

“Quality is not an act, it is a habit.”
Aristotle

Bravo,
Gabriel

G. Ghazarian
http://gloryships.com/
Bartek Strojek

PostPosted: Fri 06 May, 2011 11:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Not only " XIVa" sword is extremely interesting as far as shapes etc. of the blades goes. It's also looks absolutely amazing.

Everything from the colors to the outline is absolutly majestic.

I've just got struck by weird idea : if I had to put one swords picture in Encyclopedia send to the space for possible extraterrestrial life to see - that would be the sword I would use. Surprised

C.L. Miller wrote:
The XIV is absolutely stunning, and quite possibly, to my taste, the most aesthetically appealing sword of modern manufacture I have ever encountered. Bravo, and thank you.

The blade shape puts me somewhat in mind of a sword in the Germanisches Nationalmuseum in Nuremberg (Inv. no. W 1765) - one of my long-standing and absolute favorites. Although clearly not a proper XIV(a), lacking the width of the blade pictured above, I feel that it nevertheless displays some fairly unique characteristics, and indeed rather resembles an extremely elongated variation of the Solingen blade replicated for Albion:

Note especially the flared base of the blade:

...but then, that might just be me.

In any case, I remain astounded. Thank you again for sharing this with us Peter.

That's fantastic antique sword, do you know anything about it's dating?
C.L. Miller

PostPosted: Fri 06 May, 2011 12:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Johnsson wrote:

Thank you for posting these images and the inventory number of the sword!
It is very beautiful! (and it does indeed seem have something in common with the "Solingen" sword)
I would really like to study this one closely. A trip to Nuremberg...
Mmmmm.
:-)

If you should ever find your way down there, please do share your impressions with us - I would be very interested to hear them! ...and if you should ever find yourself considering the production of something along these lines, I can guarantee you a buyer.

Nuremburg is well worth a visit for the GNM alone - it plays host to a number of very special swords, to say nothing of its other holdings - but it's an absolutely fantastic city in its own right. I do hope you're able to pay a visit.
C.L. Miller

PostPosted: Fri 06 May, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bartek Strojek wrote:

That's fantastic antique sword, do you know anything about it's dating?

The museum dates it to the first half of the fourteenth century. I don't wish to further derail the discussion of Peter's amazing work any further, so I will post a few additional photos in another thread shortly.
Peter Cowan

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Fri 06 May, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Those are very beautiful swords, Peter, but I found the "Timeless sword" to be stunning. I love seeing a hollow-ground blade with lines as elegant as yours and the old iron hilt furniture just adds to the overall look. Congratulations.
I bet she handles flawlessly.
J. Erb

PostPosted: Sun 08 May, 2011 8:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Neither one is really my style, but the craftsmanship is exquisite regardless. Also, I have to say that the iron furniture on the "timeless sword" is absolutely GORGEOUS, especially when paired with the silver. There's just something, I don't know...organic about it that I find really appealing. A scent-stopper XIX with the same aesthetics would be absolutely drool-inducing (though perhaps not very historical? Don't know, don't care Razz ).
"What greater weapon is there than to turn an enemy to your cause, to use their own knowledge against them?"
Einar Drønnesund

PostPosted: Wed 18 May, 2011 5:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter those are both absolutely gorgeous.

But the Timeless sword, that has something truly special about it. I am a sucker for hollow ground blades and that combined with the narrow fuller really makes it stand out. Not to mention the almost wood-grain like structure of the hilt components. I did a double take when looking at the pics, cause i almost thought they were wood at first glance. (Yes, i scrolled down to look before reading. I couldnt help myself)

Cant wait to see the high quality photos. I hope they're huge so I can use them as a desktop background. Happy
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(5 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 18 May, 2011 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Two Swords for Solingen 2011         Reply with quote

Peter Johnsson wrote:
I did bring the two other swords however. They represent something new for me as maker. The basis for their design is something completely new I have found when analyzing documented material I have collected over the years. I shall return to this topic later on.

That's quite intriguing. These two beautiful swords do seem to share a certain overall geometry and proportion, although I can't imagine what set of rules this represents. Having read many of your previous posts, I bet its not just appearance but harmonics and mass distribution. You're a scientist, artist, historian, and craftsman wrapped up into one person.

Peter, I hope you will summarize your theory on this forum after it is published. Most of us might not have access to your article.

-JD
Michael Murphy

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Wed 18 May, 2011 11:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter; the pommel type on the type XIV sword is a favorite of mine also. Thank you for crafting and posting images of these two beautiful swords.
Collaboration is essential: It allows you to blame someone else.
Vincent Le Chevalier

PostPosted: Wed 18 May, 2011 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Two Swords for Solingen 2011         Reply with quote

J.D. Crawford wrote:
That's quite intriguing. These two beautiful swords do seem to share a certain overall geometry and proportion, although I can't imagine what set of rules this represents. Having read many of your previous posts, I bet its not just appearance but harmonics and mass distribution. You're a scientist, artist, historian, and craftsman wrapped up into one person.

Peter, I hope you will summarize your theory on this forum after it is published. Most of us might not have access to your article.

I second this... Any idea about when exactly the article will be published ?

Regards,

--
Vincent
Ensis Sub Caelo
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Wed 18 May, 2011 2:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you all.

It is a privilege for a maker to hear this kind of appreciation of ones work. Your feedback is inspiration that I will put to good use in coming projects.

The time-less theme will be revisited. When you look at work done in the japanese tradition today, there is no question that you can relate to traditional forms without striving to make exact replicas of ancient swords. Work can be an exploration of color, surface, texture, line and form and still be very much an object made within an existing tradition. *But* there is also no question, that you need to be acutely aware of the "rules" of tradition, even if you approach it in a time-less fashion.
I find it an exiting challenge to try approaching the western tradition in the same way.

The article will be published in March next year in Park Lane Arms Fair catalogue. The catalogue is out by the time the Fair is held. That is first weekend of March, if I am not mistaken. I think the catalogue can be ordered.
At the moment I am hewing away on my hypothesis, finding new support, throwing not so good ideas out the window and subjecting it to a shave or two by Occam´s razor. Quite a bit of work is yet to be done, that is.

By the time the article is published I really hope my own web site is finally up. I shall put up a version of the article there, or at least present the idea and its supporting evidence with some discussion on possible conclusions or consequences. When this is done, I will make a post here at the forum, so those that are interested may go and have a look. It will be shown with illustrations: very picture heavy mode of reasoning by necessity.
Charles Richmond

PostPosted: Wed 18 May, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean O Stevens wrote:
Eek!

While both swords are gorgeous and obviously masterfully crafted... that 'Timeless' sword really speaks to me... I'm entranced. Big Grin

Echoing the above thoughts, your eye towards understated elegance is astounding.

At first glance what appears to be a well executed blade, turns out to have so much going on that it keeps you studying it for quite some time.

Timeless indeed, that sword is truly a work for the ages.

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Two Swords for Solingen 2011
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: