How Do You Stain Rattan?
I've searched the net for a while, trying to find the best way to stain rattan, but I'm coming up short.

Does anyone have any hints, tips, or websites that they can recommend? I'm hoping to find specific types of stain to use, and a coating which adds luster but won't flake off.

Thanks in advance.
What kind of finish to you want - tiger tail style or complete dark? I've done both with a blow torch but one must do it carefully because it is easy to over-heat the rattan and scorch it. Start at a distance and close in slowly with gentle hand movements back and forth, like using a brush. After you finish, take a cloth a rub the stick thoroughly, you can apply Danish or sealer oil for luster, just remember it is not hardwood and will not hold a great finish.
Sa'ar Nudel wrote:
What kind of finish to you want - tiger tail style or complete dark? I've done both with a blow torch but one must do it carefully because it is easy to over-heat the rattan and scorch it. Start at a distance and close in slowly with gentle hand movements back and forth, like using a brush. After you finish, take a cloth a rub the stick thoroughly, you can apply Danish or sealer oil for luster, just remember it is not hardwood and will not hold a great finish.

Sa'ar,

What I'm hoping to get is this kind of lustrous, brown finish:
http://www.gentlemansemporium.com/store/media...788_01.jpg

Thanks. :)
We like to make our pollaxes look like that. We have found that one approach that works well is to lightly sand the surface (even the parts with skin on if you're not completely removing it, as we do not), then spray it with brown leather dye from a squeeze bottle. I'm sure there are other ways that could work, too, but this has worked well for us. Look at the figure on the right in the attached picture to see what I mean.

Attachment: 144.82 KB
MVC-104F.JPG

Hi Stephen,

I'd stick with wood stain & lacquer products. With respect to the other gentlemen, I don't think you're going to achieve true luster any other way. (And I interpret "luster" with respect to wood of any sort as "depth and natural highlights. Think tiger's eye.) I would certainly be willing to bet that the cane was finished with lacquer at least if not stain also. After all it is wood.

I'd get a little pint can of some quality stain (that you rub or brush on) and a spray can of clear lacquer or polyurethane. After a light staining, several coats of the lacquer with intervals of drying and light sanding will start to bring out any depth and character the rattan has to offer. The more you do it, the glossier it gets of course. I know this is all "wood finishing 101" but I just wanted to be as clear as possible.

Offhand, I have had great results with Minwax products: http://www.minwax.com/
I sand the rattan and used wipe on aniline die and linseed oil very successfully.

Thanks
Cole

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: