Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > First time looking for some advice Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Paul Watson

PostPosted: Tue 03 May, 2011 12:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul, it sounds as though you are after an earlier large war sword (great sword) rather than the later longswords. Regardless of a persons size my understanding which follows a lot of the comments in this thread is that use of the larger swords such as the Baron and Duke really is best in two hands. In the review on this site it is commented that even the smaller Count and Steward are sluggish in one hand.

Without the benefit of handling them I would have to say the opinions here about the Crecy seem to be logical. Comments about the Baron cutting better than the Crecy however need to be considered in context of historical applicability as Michael Edelson has done extensive test cutting against textile armour and found that the earlier cut oriented blades did not always perform as well as some later stiffer blade types. The Baron would definitely in many instances cut better against typical backyard cutting mediums however.

If a higher price is not an issue and later longswords do start to appeal you may want to consider Albions new Cluny or the Brescia, or even the Svante which is shorter in length but all who handle it say is good in one hand. Looking at your comments on what you are looking for, common opinion is that the Brescia is a civillian sword, not a battle field sword, and I do not know the intent of the Cluny although it appears to be designed for use against plate.

Also outside the square a little bit is the Discerner, I say all this assuming your'e well aware of them as youv'e obviously given Albions site a good looking over, but I guess you have already considered and discarded these options, it's just that these all appear to be two handers that may be easier to use in one hand than some other swords which largely appears to be what you are after.

As an aside although you have discarded single handers let me say that the Oakeshott is at least as good as everyone says. By far the most nimble single hander I have ever held, which includes swords of much shorter length, and swords of simlar length and weight to the Oakeshott. It just blows them all away in terms of agility.

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, but that which it protects. (Faramir, The Two Towers)
Paul B.G

PostPosted: Thu 05 May, 2011 4:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks guys, sorry just getting back to your replies now. Ive pretty much made up my mind on the Crecy Wink just need to sort out the storage requirements for owning a sword here in Victoria.

However before I place my order I just want to explore one more option. I came across this http://www.myArmoury.com/review_aa_custxx.html a custom by arms & armor, got me thinking to look into getting the Albion Oakeshott made with a 9” grip made by Arms & Armor, everything else the same.

What do you think? And how do swords made by Arms & Armor compare to Albion?

Cheers - Paul
Eric G.

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Thu 05 May, 2011 8:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul B.G wrote:
Thanks guys, sorry just getting back to your replies now. Ive pretty much made up my mind on the Crecy Wink just need to sort out the storage requirements for owning a sword here in Victoria.

However before I place my order I just want to explore one more option. I came across this http://www.myArmoury.com/review_aa_custxx.html a custom by arms & armor, got me thinking to look into getting the Albion Oakeshott made with a 9” grip made by Arms & Armor, everything else the same.

Cheers - Paul

I have two thoughts for you:

1) Part of what I like so much about the Albion Oakeshott is that it is almost an exact replica. Out an nine inch grip on it and you're really making a pretty big change.

2) I am guessing that a nine inch grip would be so that you can use this with two hands? The Albion Oakshott is a type Xa. For most of Oakeshott's typology the "a" indicates a sword that has the ability to be used with two hands. This is not the case, however, for the type Xa. Oakeshott didn't see enough examples of two handers from this category to designate a two hander version of the type X.

It would be for those two reasons that I wouldn't be interested in a sword like the one you describe.

Eric Gregersen
www.EricGregersen.com
Knowledge applied is power.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 05 May, 2011 10:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul B.G wrote:

I think it's a huge mistake to make a new sword based on another new sword. Why not pick some antique and have a copy made of that? There's a tremendous variety that history has left us and there must be something that works for you. A copy of a copy is already going to produce something relatively flawed, but a copy of a copy with additional mods and tweaking is likely to produce something even worse. Given that one of your goals is to get your feet wet and get some exposure to the whole subject of swords, this is probably counter to that goal.

Further, having one maker copy the work of another maker is relatively lame.

Quote:

They're both aiming at slighting different niches of the market and each have their own strengths and weaknesses. Generally speaking, they compare favorably to one another. I have items from both and quite like them. I have a custom order with A&A in the queue right now and I'm jonesing on owning another Albion as well.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Paul B.G

PostPosted: Thu 05 May, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks guys I really appreciate your considered and constructive advice, its put me back on the right track Happy and sorry it certainly was not my intention to be “lame”.

I’m off to the 2nd hand dealer later today to look into getting a lockable storage cabinet so I can comply with the Victorian regulations. However it is my intention to either make or find a lockable type of wall mount that can be easily unlocked with a key.

Sorry forgot to mention, I’ve decided to get the Crecy Wink and probably at the same time order a Scabbard from DBK Custom Swords.

Im assuming it will take several weeks from the order, but ill certainly let you all know my reaction once received.

Thanks again.

Paul
Paul Watson

PostPosted: Thu 05 May, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul, people will want to help you on this site and give what they think is sound advice because they have the same passion for this field of interest. The people here will do so without thinking any ideas are lame, especially when someone is starting out, that is one of the things that is so good about this site.
I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, but that which it protects. (Faramir, The Two Towers)
Paul B.G

PostPosted: Thu 05 May, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

lol sorry Paul I didn’t mean to imply that some of the comments weren’t “considered and constructive” I was actually trying to say thanks as all the reply’s were really helpful, nobody replied with one liners, Ie everyone gave me considered, thoughtful advice.

Thanks Again - Paul

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > First time looking for some advice
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: