Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > The Moat is Back Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 0%
(1 total ▮ 0% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 26 May, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Instant Helm Collection         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
Instant helm collection of items rescued from the Moat! Cool Order placed on Monday. Four of five pieces arrived today (Thursday). Today's fourth piece, not shown below, is a conical arming cap. Fifth item (Early Flat Top) wouldn't fit in the same box with the rest, so I assume it will arrive in short order. Some rehab work is appropriate, but less than I expected for Moat items with fire sale pricing Big Grin

Nice, Steve!

And the two helms that you don't have pictured are the same two that arrived on my doorstep this afternoon. My buddy said they look decent - a bit of TLC and they should be alright. Of course, the battery in the dig. camera is dead, and I have the charger in my briefcase out here. I really wanted them mostly for patterns - to learn more about metalworking - but it sounds like they will be remaining completely intact - too nice to tear up.

Oh well... it'll be another few days...

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 26 May, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have a Nasal Helm and the Early flat Top on order for about a week now !?

Things may be a little slower as I asked to have a suspension system instaled in the Nasal Helm: Will have to bug Mike about it if I don't get any news about them soon. ( He usually E-Mails me with tracking info so it probably hasn' t been shipped yet.) ( Not concerned as their service and reliability is AAA. )

Good to know that these are in easy to fix shape. ( Minor rust at worse ! )

Great bargains Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Thu 26 May, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Instant Helm Collection         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
...Of course, the battery in the dig. camera is dead, and I have the charger in my briefcase out here....

Eek! Don't forget to charge it for Atlanta. As you know, I will be there only vicariously through you!

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
...I really wanted them mostly for patterns - to learn more about metalworking - but it sounds like they will be remaining completely intact - too nice to tear up....

Oh, I agree. While IMHO these pieces are inferior to Mercenary's Tailor/Allan Senefelder's stuff, also available thru Albion, these are very nice, especially for the price.
Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Thu 26 May, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
...Things may be a little slower as I asked to have a suspension system instaled in the Nasal Helm...

All Mike had to do with my stuff is to just toss 'em in the box and get them out the door. I didn't even think to ask about suspension systems.

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
...Good to know that these are in easy to fix shape. ( Minor rust at worse ! )...

Of the pieces I have, only the "Rusty Ridge Helm" will really need work. One of the rust spots is pretty heavy and will leave some pits. But, hey, that's how it was advertised, and how can one complain for only $40? Also, this one is apparently unusually large for those ridge helms. Mike said most of them are 22 inch circumference. I haven't measured mine, yet, but it fits my 22-5/8 with room to spare for some period padding.
My 5th Century Helm has very little rust on it - and it may be more dirt than anything. I suspect that the issue that landed that helm in the Moat is that there are a couple of "bald" spots in the bluing.
The only real issue that I can see with the Morion is an unsightly "MADE IN INDIA" stamp on the ?brim? A little elbow grease and the helm will look very nice.
All in all, I am very pleased with my purchase. My only regret is that I didn't think about suspension systems at all. Oh, well. Another project opportunity Laughing Out Loud

Last edited by Steve Grisetti on Thu 26 May, 2005 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 26 May, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm guessing that Albion is phasing the India made stuff out and I hope they bring in more designs by Mercenary's Tailor.

Plus get new and better product photos. ( The stuff just looks better well lit and at higher resolutions and the photos produced for this site have sploiled me. I keep mentioning this hoping that the makers take the gentle hint Razz Laughing Out Loud )

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 26 May, 2005 7:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well the Helms are at a bargain price the suspension systems is at their regular price: My choice as I want to be able to use them, but the total price even with the extra $60 is still a great bargain. Had to hold myself back from buying one of everything Eek!

Might still regret not getting a couple more, I did call back and ordered a few chapes to customise some leather scabbards that don't have any.

Oh, those solid spear sockets: I think I have an idea how they could be made usable, have a 1/2" drilled and taped hole in the solid socket, screw in a threaded rod and have 6" or more of threaded rod to use as a tang extending out of the socket.

The whole thing would look like a normal socket once assembled. Hey maybe Albion could do this for a small fee ?

Not historically correct but a way to salvage this stupid, by the foundary, mistake.

Razz Laughing Out Loud

Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Thu 26 May, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Well the Helms are at a bargain price the suspension systems is at their regular price: My choice as I want to be able to use them, but the total price even with the extra $60 is still a great bargain. Had to hold myself back from buying one of everything Eek! ....

Definitely still a bargain. I am thinking about picking up a few more pieces, as well.
Aaron Schnatterly

(1 total ▮ 0% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 27 May, 2005 5:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Well the Helms are at a bargain price the suspension systems is at their regular price: My choice as I want to be able to use them, but the total price even with the extra $60 is still a great bargain. Had to hold myself back from buying one of everything Eek! ....

Definitely still a bargain. I am thinking about picking up a few more pieces, as well.

I'd be hard-core thinking on it, if I didn't already have plans for every last available cent I'll have for the next 6 months... got too many other irons in the fire, some almost white hot.

Besides, accumulating over time does have the benefit of getting to "bond" with the pieces that come in. A flood, and pieces tend to get tossed aside - at least for me.

Oh, and Steve - I'll have both batteries fully charged and ready to go, brother! And Jean - is 8 megapixel high-res enough for you? Razz

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Aaron Schnatterly

(1 total ▮ 0% positive)
PostPosted: Sat 28 May, 2005 6:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My buddy sent me a couple of pics of the pointed arming cap and the early flat top:

He said they should clean up quickly and easily.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sat 28 May, 2005 6:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron;

Does the Arming Cap fit under the Barrel Helm ? i have the round version and I hope the Helm will fit under it, I also have a Sugar Loaf Helm that is just a fraction too small to put over the Arming Cap.

If it doesn't fit I will have to improvise a suspension system. I also have some self adhesive foam that I might glue on the inside of the Helm if the Helm works over the Arming cap to ensure a friction fit and keep the helm from rotating around the head ! " Where are the vision slots and breath hole " ??? Eek!

Aaron Schnatterly

(1 total ▮ 0% positive)
PostPosted: Sat 28 May, 2005 6:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Does the Arming Cap fit under the Barrel Helm ? i have the round version and I hope the Helm will fit under it, I also have a Sugar Loaf Helm that is just a fraction too small to put over the Arming Cap.

Unfortunately, I'm still away from home - these pictures are the closest I'll get until late Wednesday. I'll definitely let you know, though. John thinks this will actually be a bit too small to fit me. If that is the case, I will use it for a pattern and make a new one. I don't have a full barrel helm in my collection yet - the early flat top pictured is just a little longer than the funky-looking crusader hockey mask looking things. When I obtain / make a barrel helm, I will be certain that it will fit with the arming cap underneath.

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
If it doesn't fit I will have to improvise a suspension system. I also have some self adhesive foam that I might glue on the inside of the Helm if the Helm works over the Arming cap to ensure a friction fit and keep the helm from rotating around the head ! " Where are the vision slots and breath hole " ??? Eek!

Yup - sucks when you take a lick on the chin and you're looking out of your ear. 2 words, bub - chin strap. Regardless of whether the arming cap fits or doesn't, you're probably going to want a suspension system anyway. Keeps it from sliding on the crown of your head, even if it has another helm or maille underneath. Also, foam gets REALLY hot and steamy inside - it doesn't breathe. Unless you are planning on using the helm for some activity that, by their rules, is required so much closed-cell foam, I would go another route. Natural fiber-stuffed linnen would be a much more comfortable route to go, and much more of a period look.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sat 28 May, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron;

Took your advice to heart and E-Mailled Mike at Albion to put a liner in the Early Flatop Helm also. Mike hasn't E-mailled me that he shipped my order yet so there is a chance that I got to him in time ! Oh well its just another $60.

Oh, the foam I was planning to use would be just a few interrupted vertical strips to cushion the metal on metal of Cervellière and helm: Air would not be completely trapped between the two.

In any case the proper suspension is worth it I think as I may want to use the Helm alone and it might not even fit over the Cervellière.

Oh, I'm mostly collecting these but I still want to wear them just for the fun of it: So no SCA rules or anything else to conform to.

This is starting to be less of a bargain. Wink Laughing Out Loud

( Well it still less than if I had bought them at full price Razz Big Grin )

Aaron Schnatterly

(1 total ▮ 0% positive)
PostPosted: Sun 29 May, 2005 4:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:

Oh, I'm mostly collecting these but I still want to wear them just for the fun of it: So no SCA rules or anything else to conform to.

This is starting to be less of a bargain. Wink Laughing Out Loud

( Well it still less than if I had bought them at full price Razz Big Grin )

Hope it all turns out well for you, Jean! Let us know, would you?

Oh, and as I mentioned in another post somewhere... this is "therapeutic pampering", not "expensive".

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 31 May, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well was to late: The Early Barrel helm was already shipped and I just got it this afternoon.

I'm asking Mike if he can send me a loose suspension for this one that I can install myself: With the Canadian border its not worth the trouble and cost to ship it back. With an expensive sword needing some major repair it might be !

Well, its very nice and would have been even at the normal price.

The Norman Nasal Helm is also very good, no rust or any flaws worth mentionning.
I'm suprised how big these are and pleasantly supprised that my eyeglasses dont get squished by the nasal.
The big " CONEHEAD " look is a bit funny at first Razz but the extra roomyness will be a plus when a maille coif and soft arming cap is worn underneath.

Trying out different helms one after the other is interesting as they feel very different as far as top heaviness is concerned.
The Nasal Helm feels a bit top heavy, my round Cervellière is the least tippy of my Helms followed by my Valentine Armouries Eye Slot Kettle Hat, the Early Barrel Helm is HEAVY but not as tippy ad the Norman Nasal Helm.

Oh, my Cervellière is just a bit too big fore and aft to fit under the Barrel Helm: So its a suspension system with that one and a maille coif. The Early Barrel Helm give coverage stopping at just below chin level making sucking in fresh air easier than with my full sized Sugar Loaf Barrel Helm that goes down to almost shoulder level.
So, there is a trade off between protection and breathing: With the shorter older helm I can feel my neck very " Naked " out there and numerous decapitations must have influenced these to go lower for better protection of the neck and a lower center of gravity, making the Sugar Loaf Helm less tippy.

Broke down and ordered the Plain Bascinet WITH liner: So goes saving money because of a sale.
Eek! Eek! Eek!

Starting to look at getting gautlets from Mercenary's Tailor eventually.

Hmmmmmm ...... This is becoming helm collecting Laughing Out Loud

Aaron Schnatterly

(1 total ▮ 0% positive)
PostPosted: Tue 31 May, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Broke down and ordered the Plain Bascinet WITH liner: So goes saving money because of a sale.
Eek! Eek! Eek!

Starting to look at getting gautlets from Mercenary's Tailor eventually.

Laughing Out Loud

Addictive little buggers, aren't they?

I'll double my collection in the next quarter... 4-5 full armours on stands, additional helmets, shields, polearms, axes... where the heck am I going to put all my swords? Razz

Oh, yeah... and doubling my sword collection, too! Big Grin Eek!

... probably including the Svante! Cool

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Wed 01 Jun, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
...I'm asking Mike if he can send me a loose suspension for this one that I can install myself....
That is a good idea. I'll have to give Mike a call next week, after Blade Show.
Quote:
...I'm suprised how big these are and pleasantly supprised that my eyeglasses dont get squished by the nasal....
Ah, but are your eyeglasses historically accurate? Laughing Out Loud
Quote:
So goes saving money because of a sale.
Classic, isn't it?
Quote:
Hey, there is nothing wrong with that![/quote]
Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Wed 01 Jun, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
Ooh! Very cool! (he said with great envy)
Aaron Schnatterly

(1 total ▮ 0% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 01 Jun, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
Ooh! Very cool! (he said with great envy)

Cool Razz

Going to see it in person Friday, and man, I'm so stoked. (yes, I'll get pictures...)

I have my eyes on other pieces for the moment, but I've pretty much decided with the Svante it's "happy birthday to me!" - which is mid-November.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > The Moat is Back
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: