How do you wear a mace?
How do you wear a mace? I was thinking about this the other day and I decided that it would be pretty darn easy to just tie a short cord to two ends of a belt and let the handle hang down your leg while the head of the mace rubbed against your belt. I guess that would work ok, but it seems like it would be very uncomfortable. Even if it's not all that uncomfortable, what would you do if you were wearing a morning star mace?

How do you guys do it? How was it done historically?
I just tucked it into my belt, in the small of my back at a comfortable angle. Handle towards the ground.

I don't really like suspended gear, for the most part. It tends to bounce around, and bang against my legs and manly-region if I have to run. That tends to take all the fun out of Kool Toyz.

If you have something suspended from your belt, your public-urinal awareness needs to be finely honed. Know your area of operations.

If you're suspending gear, you are relying on the suspension material to maintain its strength and integrity, regardless of who/what you are paying attention to, regardless of what you are doing, and regardless of how old/weathered it is. In a contemporary setting, nylon slings and such are pretty dependable, but I've seen people walk around with some nice/valuable stuff (pewter mugs, car keys, leather gloves, etc.) hanging on a little leather thong. I wouldn't want to risk losing my stuff in the name of 'period authenticity'. You'd think they'd at least braid it...
M Davis wrote:
I've seen people walk around with some nice/valuable stuff (pewter mugs, car keys, leather gloves, etc.) hanging on a little leather thong. I wouldn't want to risk losing my stuff in the name of 'period authenticity'. You'd think they'd at least braid it...

Ha ha, true. And car keys are hardly authentic. I'm sure that it would be too blasphemous to put those in a secret pocket or something.

However, I hardly think I would fail to notice if something as large as a mace feel to the floor. If I miss something like that then I probably deserve to lose it. ;-)

Still, what do you do if you have a spiked/morning star mace? I wouldn't want something like that pressing up against the small of my back...
I use something like this.

http://therionarms.com/reenact/therionarms_c1052.html

Attached to a good belt...although the ones I make have short straps so I can make the whole set up more stable and less likely to hit anything sensitive. Also I place it a bit back as well.
Eric Gregersen wrote:

However, I hardly think I would fail to notice if something as large as a mace feel to the floor. If I miss something like that then I probably deserve to lose it. ;-)

Too true...too true. Gravity always seems to pick on drunks and bad backs.

Quote:

Still, what do you do if you have a spiked/morning star mace? I wouldn't want something like that pressing up against the small of my back...

"Hey...SQUIRE!...where did that kid..."
P. Cha wrote:
I use something like this.

http://therionarms.com/reenact/therionarms_c1052.html

Attached to a good belt...although the ones I make have short straps so I can make the whole set up more stable and less likely to hit anything sensitive. Also I place it a bit back as well.

Ha! I got a pretty good kick out of this (from the link):
Quote:
Hanger for your axe, mace, or warhammer.
Hey, you were getting tired of wearing them shoved into your belt, right?

Get out of my head!!! :mad:
I really like that frog. I wonder how historical it is though. Not that historically accurate is super super important to me or anything, but I am just wondering.

Thanks so much for your help!
Eric Gregersen wrote:
I really like that frog. I wonder how historical it is though. Not that historically accurate is super super important to me or anything, but I am just wondering.

Like you say, it might not be important, but since you asked: It isn't. The pieces are nickel-plated brass, and then there's the riveted construction, etc, etc, etc.

Besides, everybody knows that maces were worn tucked into the cod piece.
Nathan Robinson wrote:

Besides, everybody knows that maces were worn tucked into the cod piece.

Oh.

Oooooohhhhhhhhhh...

Man. I got it now.

That makes soooo much more sense! Do you have any idea how hard it is to keep codfish frozen in August?
I would suspect that in period, a lot of carrying was actually done by the horse, tied to the saddle etc. When dismounted it was probably kept in hand, ready to bash away.
Simon G. wrote:
I would suspect that in period, a lot of carrying was actually done by the horse, tied to the saddle etc. When dismounted it was probably kept in hand, ready to bash away.

Hmmm...I don't know about that one. I believe I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you. There sure seemed to be an awful lot more people walking around than riding around.

And yet, nobody could be bothered to invent the side-walk. That's the real tragedy, I think.
Simon G. wrote:

Ah Simon beat me to it I might just add that sometimes you attach it to your wrist with a thong.
I would use a belt hook (as discussed here). Failing that, wear a sash around the waist, and tuck it into that.
Somebody please find some pictures from historical sources?

I've heard knights had them hooked on to the saddle for easy access in mounted battle and so they wouldn't need to carry them around. Any truth to that? If so the same type of hook might have been used for belts too. Just an idea.
Here's a little more info: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=15545 .

Also, some maces (more 16th century if I remember correctly) have hooks built into them. Those hooks could be hooked onto belts, sashes, or anything to hold them.
Johan Gemvik wrote:
I've heard knights had them hooked on to the saddle for easy access in mounted battle and so they wouldn't need to carry them around. Any truth to that?

Yes, various sixteenth-century military texts I've read mention the mace as hanging from the saddle bow.
Benjamin H. Abbott wrote:
Johan Gemvik wrote:
I've heard knights had them hooked on to the saddle for easy access in mounted battle and so they wouldn't need to carry them around. Any truth to that?

Yes, various sixteenth-century military texts I've read mention the mace as hanging from the saddle bow.

Yes, but pictures man! Pictures! :D

Sure, I can do a search myself but I'm feeling lazy. There has to be an expert on these things lurking in here somewhere, just dying to show off.
Johan Gemvik wrote:
Yes, but pictures man! Pictures! :D

Sure, I can do a search myself but I'm feeling lazy. There has to be an expert on these things lurking in here somewhere, just dying to show off.

The thread I linked to has a picture of a mace hanging from a saddle. That single click is worthwhile to do. :)

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: