For Sale or Trade: Kirby Wise La Tene Celtic Leaf Blade
This listing is marked SOLD and is no longer available

SCA members reading this board will not need to be told of the significance of the smith Kirby Wise. For just about as long as there had been an SCA, Kirby's swords have featured prominently therein. Weapons of his make are on the belts of more Members of the Order of Chivalry than those of any other smith, and I'm sure there are more of his swords among the kingdom regalia of more SCA kingdoms, by far, than those of any other maker. I daresay the SCA would not be what it is but for his work. These are not factory swords. Each one is one-of-a-kind and they do not often appear on the market.

This is his interpretation of the La Tene Period Celtic Leaf-Blade Sword, and as far as I know it’s the only one he's produced of this type. For sure it is a weighty blade, and due to its shape it has a forward balance reminiscent of the Iron Age Celtic slashing swords. The grip is turned hardwood, the guard is steel with engraved brass ornamentation in the insular La Tene Celtic style. More La Tene style engraving adorns the pommel-plate.

The scabbard is the heavy leather sheath of the type familiar to those who know Kirby's style, with brass locket and chape featuring hand carved ornamentation, again in the insular La Tene style. A pair of brass side-rings will attach a belt or baldric.

Here are some pictures:

I paid $825 for it. Since my goal with this is to raise the money to buy one of these , I'll accept $725 or a trade for a stainless haubergeon, either riveted or welded of the same size. Of course I accept Paypal.

Oooooo-kay. The public seems to think that this sword may be a tadbit overpriced. That's one consideration, another is an offer I have for what looks like the right maille for my purposes, and a third is the fact that I'm going back on-duty on Thursday and it would be nice if I could ship the sword prior to that.

So, less of a bump and more of a seismic shift for price reduction: $600 even*.

*plus shipping.

Bump to $575 plus shipping.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: