Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Deltin Online store Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Julien M

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 18 Apr, 2011 9:34 am    Post subject: Deltin Online store         Reply with quote

Just noticed that Deltin has a active link to their brand new online store (I swear it is new, though it looks like it's been made 15 years ago by a daltonian graphist). Beside wondering why they have not fired their webdesigner yet (because the main site is also quiet dashing), you'll find a couple of products on sales here:

http://www.deltin.net/negoziovirtuale.htm

Cheers,

J
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Mon 18 Apr, 2011 10:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can see what you mean...no catalog link worth a damn and every link clicked brings up another tab...which gets to be a pain closing repeatedly. Some of the new stuff looks good though.
Eric G.

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Mon 18 Apr, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would be so much more interested in this company if all their stuff wasn't dull... =(
Eric Gregersen
www.EricGregersen.com
Knowledge applied is power.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 18 Apr, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric Gregersen wrote:
I would be so much more interested in this company if all their stuff wasn't dull... =(

If you get them from Kult of Athena they have sharpening service and they are now offering inexpensive leather scabbards that can be made to fit the sword you order ( A Del Tin or any sword they stock ).

With an unsharpened Del Tin a storage scabbard really isn't needed but can still be useful for costume work.

KoA: http://www.kultofathena.com/deltin.asp

See here KoA gives you options when buying to have the sword sharpened and/or have a scabbard made for the sword:

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...vian+Sword

Good idea by the way and also might be a good idea for an Albion or A & A sword: I assume that these leather scabbards are functional and equivalent to the leather scabbards made by A & A and by Tinker when one wants some minimal scabbard.

Obviously if one wants a really great looking scabbard then there are more expensive options and makers but often I have avoided hesitated buying a sword because it doesn't come with a scabbard.

One can always upgrade later to a custom made scabbard. Wink Big Grin Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Mon 18 Apr, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Not only does KoA have a sharpening service - they have an excellent sharpening service. These guys essentially got me buying Del Tins again.

CHT

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Freelance Academy Press: Books on Western Martial Arts and Historical Swordsmanship

Author, In Saint George's Name: An Anthology of Medieval German Fighting Arts
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 18 Apr, 2011 10:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christian Henry Tobler wrote:
Not only does KoA have a sharpening service - they have an excellent sharpening service. These guys essentially got me buying Del Tins again.

CHT

Good to know Christian because I haven't seen the quality of sharpening by Kult of Athena because everything I ordered from them was either already a sharp or, if a Del Tin, I slowly hand sharpened one myself and left a few other blunt knowing I could get them sharp with a day or two of patient work, but it's useful information knowing I can have confidence ordering using their sharpening option.

I shouldn't be too surprised because of KoA usual good customer service and quality control ( they check on quality before shipping ).

I might even have them make me a scabbard for a sword they carry that I already have. ( This can work fine with swords where the makers use reasonably close tolerances ).

Andreas Auer

Reading list: 11 books

PostPosted: Mon 18 Apr, 2011 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Deltin Online store         Reply with quote

Julien M wrote:
...(I swear it is new, though it looks like it's been made 15 years ago by a daltonian graphist). Beside wondering why they have not fired their webdesigner yet (because the main site is also quiet dashing)...

...it might be because Fulvio doesn´t have a Webdesigner... Wink

Andreas

The secret is,
to keep that pointy end thingy away from you...
Eric G.

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Tue 19 Apr, 2011 6:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

CHT

Thank you Christian and Jean,

I have had enough interactions with Kult of Athena to know that they are excellent, but I worried that their sharpening service (which I supposed might be outsourced to another company that might not have such excellent standards) might leave a strong secondary bevel or something else nasty like that. It's good to know that their sharpening service is up to par with the level we have all come to recognize them for.

Eric Gregersen
www.EricGregersen.com
Knowledge applied is power.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 19 Apr, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just a note that I was in touch with Ryan at KoA and their sharpening is done " IN -HOUSE " so there are no quality control issues of having it done by other people and not checking on quality control after. Wink Happy Cool

Also even a simple sharpening with a visible but small secondary bevel can be easily burnished to round out the transition from secondary bevel to main bevel to produce an apple seed edge: This is much easier/quicker to do on an already sharpened blade than starting with a dull 2 mm edge ..... still needs some skill and some work but it's a lot faster to do.

Remember though that not all period swords had apple seed edges and even those who did might end up with a secondary bevel after a field sharpening.

A professional sharpening might be done later by a professional sharpener to restore an apple seed edge if the owner even cared about it ! ( I just don't know if they did care in period ? )

Note a field sharpening holding a small stone to the edge of a sword might tend to give an appleseed edge just due to the imprecise nature of that type of sharpening: It is really difficult to maintain a perfect angle that will produce a clean and distinct secondary bevel, a rounded bevel is much more probable in the hands of an amateur than a geometrically perfect secondary bevel, and someone with skills could produce an apple seed bevel deliberately using a hand held sharpening stone. Wink

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 18 Jul, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

CHT

Just got a Del Tin 2140 from Kult of Athena and had them sharpen it for me and here is my opinion about the quality of the sharpening:

Very sharp as received but with a clear secondary bevel, but a very narrow one and very well done: Very clean, symmetrical and consistent width of the bevel along both edges.

So if one is looking specifically for an apple seed edge one would have to round out the ridge between the primary bevel and the secondary bevel,

The sharpening is very VERY sharp but the edges needed a little stropping to knock off the wire edge. ( Almost hair popping scary sharp ).

The secondary bevel is very apparent ( As received ) due to the grind lines of the grinding belt being at 90 degrees to the finish of the primary bevel, but it took me literally only minutes with a diamond hone along the edges to almost blend in the finish of the edges with the primary bevel finish. ( A little more work with a sanding sponge and a true apple seed edge is only a couple of hours of hand work away ).

So my bottom line evaluation is that it's a very good sharpening that needs a bit of DIY work only for aesthetic reasons: The most important thing being that the grinding and bevel width is regular without any errors one could get from an unsteady hand at the grinder.

Oh, also bought a leather scabbard with frog and the leather is fairly thick, well matched in colour to the grip colour and very nice for the modest price for a simple and functional scabbard.

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...eval+Sword

Last edited by Jean Thibodeau on Mon 18 Jul, 2011 11:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Mon 18 Jul, 2011 7:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Jean!

I think your write-up has it nailed. The only other thing to consider in the criticism of the secondary bevel is that this an $18 edge.

For that price, it's amazing.

Yours,

CHT

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Freelance Academy Press: Books on Western Martial Arts and Historical Swordsmanship

Author, In Saint George's Name: An Anthology of Medieval German Fighting Arts

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Deltin Online store
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic