Organic hilt components on viking swords
I'm looking for any photos of organic hilt components for viking style swords. I've included a few examples of some that are made of horn or bone. Does anyone have others?

Attachment: 16.68 KB
Early_Medieval_Swords.jpg

Attachment: 16.64 KB
Elk-antler_crossguard_from_Sigtuna_.jpg

Attachment: 19.06 KB
PetL_Var_BoneGuard&Pom_DasReichsschwert_Schulze-Dorrlamm_.jpg

Attachment: 23.55 KB
sword-guard.jpg

The first one looks metallic, which part of it is organic?
Luka Borscak wrote:
The first one looks metallic, which part of it is organic?

Both the pommel and guard are carved from horn. It's a "piast type-t" sword from Poland. The "piast" type hilts were all carved out of horn. It was localized to the region. There are several examples show in Lech Mareks's "Early Medieval Swords from Central and Eastern Europe: Dilemmas of an Archaeologist and a Student of Arms" Link to the book in store:
http://www.myArmoury.com/books/item.8322926243.html
Whalebone pommel and guard from two different swords. http://www.historyofyork.org.uk/themes/viking/viking-sword-pommel

Yorkshire Museum collection - ref. 1979.7.4752

Attachment: 28.04 KB
whale.jpg

hilt components
here you go, i have a file full of organic hilt components, but very, very few original ones (i suppose absense of evidence etc...) anyway hope this is useful

Attachment: 50.63 KB
VIK.W.BoneGripHM.jpg
handle

Attachment: 99.02 KB
VIK.L.RiverScheldtVarOAK2.jpg
another handle, very little found in the way of guards, but there have been bare blades found about...
Hey Tim, once again the guard shown on your number 4 picture is made of bronze, not bone as erroneously quoted in "Viking Hersir" (Osprey)
Jean Le-Palud wrote:
Hey Tim, once again the guard shown on your number 4 picture is made of bronze, not bone as erroneously quoted in "Viking Hersir" (Osprey)

Really!? Too bad...
although the polish hilt is metal, as shown by the bone hilts, the hilt wouldnt be too hard to construct in bone, if you can get good enough material!
K J Seago wrote:
although the polish hilt is metal, as shown by the bone hilts, the hilt wouldnt be too hard to construct in bone, if you can get good enough material!

I'm not quite sure I understand your post. The Polish hilt is horn, it's the first one. Did you mean the Welsh guard which is actually bronze, pictured last?
im sorry if i have garbled my words, i believed that the image of the hilt on the front cover of
Early Medieval Swords from Central and Eastern Europe: by Lech Marek
is bronze, and that style would be easy to copy onto an organic hilt, i have the book myself somewhere, but cannot seem to find it at the moment to verify, or correct myself as to its material, anyway the original point i was attempting to get across is that most designs in inorganic material could well be attempted and replicated in organics.
K J Seago wrote:
im sorry if i have garbled my words, i believed that the image of the hilt on the front cover of
Early Medieval Swords from Central and Eastern Europe: by Lech Marek
is bronze, and that style would be easy to copy onto an organic hilt, i have the book myself somewhere, but cannot seem to find it at the moment to verify, or correct myself as to its material, anyway the original point i was attempting to get across is that most designs in inorganic material could well be attempted and replicated in organics.

Ahh...OK. I just went back to read the description of the sword once again and Lech Marek is pretty specific about it being horn. I think it's a damn cool sword.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: