Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Copenhagen museums Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Neil Melville

PostPosted: Wed 06 Apr, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject: Copenhagen museums         Reply with quote

Just a word of warning to anyone going to Copenhagen. I have just returned from a visit and was disappointed that the Tojhusmuseet (the Royal Arsenal museum ) is closed for restoration until September 2012. The artillery in the ground floor hall is still open but all the magnificent collection of swords, armour and firearms is closed. There is , however, a very nice, small collection of firearms and a few swords in the basement rooms of Rosenborg castle, on the edge of the city and, of course, the National Museum has a good collection of Bronze Age, Viking and Mediaeval swords scattered over its various sections. So not all was lost.
Happy hunting
Neil

N Melville
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Wed 06 Apr, 2011 9:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've been to that museum and it's one of the best I've ever been in. Sorry to hear it's closed for renovation, but hopefully it will make it all worth it when it opens back up.
Thomas R.

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Wed 06 Apr, 2011 9:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ha! Now I know where the danish stashed all their exquisite weapons! Last time I visited Copenhague I was a little bit disappointed by the relatively small arms and armor section in the National Museum. Next time, I'll know where to go... Happy

Thomas

http://maerenundlobebaeren.tumblr.com/
Peter Busch

PostPosted: Wed 06 Apr, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Copenhagen museums         Reply with quote

Neil Melville wrote:
Just a word of warning to anyone going to Copenhagen. I have just returned from a visit and was disappointed that the Tojhusmuseet (the Royal Arsenal museum ) is closed for restoration until September 2012. The artillery in the ground floor hall is still open but all the magnificent collection of swords, armour and firearms is closed. There is , however, a very nice, small collection of firearms and a few swords in the basement rooms of Rosenborg castle, on the edge of the city and, of course, the National Museum has a good collection of Bronze Age, Viking and Mediaeval swords scattered over its various sections. So not all was lost.
Happy hunting
Neil

Yes I was there in July last and they were telling me 'security, terrorism etc. etc. etc. .. got to upgrade the security on these terrorist etc. objects ... ' sigh ... oh dear ...

http://www.swordforum.com/fall99/1865.html
http://www.oakeshott.org/1831art.html
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Thu 07 Apr, 2011 9:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

When I went there in 2002 I was the only one to visit the second floor that afternoon. The curator/staff person up there gave me a personal tour of all their best exhibits. I was really blown away by their collection. Their modern small arms collection is also really outstanding with some really rare examples in it. It's one of the best museums I've visited in my travels.
Greg Coffman

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Sat 09 Apr, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That stinks. When I was in Stockholm the medieval museum there was likewise closed, so I sympathize. Here is a gallery of my photos from the Museums in Copenhagen, including the Royal Arsenal, and a few other Museums around the Baltic:
http://s397.photobucket.com/albums/pp51/gcoff...1QQtppZZ24

Greg Coffman

For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.
-Hebrews 4:12

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Copenhagen museums
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic