Lysts on the Lake - Austin - Freifechters
Hello friends, Currently I am communicating with the coordinator of this event, Brian Scott. The event is set for Apr 29 - March 1. Period tents are a must have to stay on site, they have very nice restrooms and showering places I am told indoors. Brian has arranged for a tent that i can stay in since I do not have one at this time. 3 Meals a day will be served.

I am currently setting up a presentation for our booth and am in the works of filling a spot on the main field for a show. In order to fill the spot on the main field of the event, I need others to assist me in the show. Currently the idea is to re-create a Judicial duel along the outline of Hans Talhoffers' Ambraser codex of 1449. As of this moment no one in the San Antonio Ritterlich Fechtschule is able to attend. Only I have committed to be there from Thursday through Sunday. Currently every week we have had a class for our group a new member has shown up. So the growth thus far is consistent and I may find someone that can attend with me.

Either way I was wondering if anyone out there apart of the Freifechters would be able to attend and lend a hand to this endeavor.

Thanks for any help, your friend,
-Christopher VaughnStrever
Here is an update to the event itself. Looks like it will be purely a competition of Arms rather than a ren-fest type of event. From all that i am hearing this is looking to be an excellent event to simply attend if one is able to. And if you do attend, be sure to stop by our booth.

Tickets and event info are here...
http://texasjoust.com/
Wow this looks like fun!

By the looks of it Chris, you have everything you need to compete in this except a horse :eek:
Yea, a horse and experience. This time next year if this event rolls around again (And hopefully it will) I look to train enough in a years time period to actually enter the lists as a competitor.

I was actually asked I I wanted to join the lists, and I deeply do. However my experience level just isn't any where near a competitors level at this time. :cry:
Christopher VaughnStrever wrote:
Yea, a horse and experience. This time next year if this event rolls around again (And hopefully it will) I look to train enough in a years time period to actually enter the lists as a competitor.

I was actually asked I I wanted to join the lists, and I deeply do. However my experience level just isn't any where near a competitors level at this time. :cry:

Even if you don't have experience, I would jump at the chance to join the lists (how else are you going to get experience?) I've heard that Audacity was key trait the old masters looked for in their students. I would jump all over that chance. If nothing else you will get a good dose of humility (which you already have anyway). Let the competitors know you are new. They will respect you for it.
Allen Foster wrote:
Christopher VaughnStrever wrote:

Even if you don't have experience, I would jump at the chance to join the lists (how else are you going to get experience?) I've heard that Audacity was key trait the old masters looked for in their students. I would jump all over that chance. If nothing else you will get a good dose of humility (which you already have anyway). Let the competitors know you are new. They will respect you for it.

Well maybe if Christopher has some basic riding experience at least. ;) Just about as easy as getting on board a WWII Spitfire and trying to fly it if one only knows how to fly a Piper Cub. ( Just guessing about both riding and flying. ;) :p ).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piper_J-3

If one is getting on a plane for the first time that would be a bad idea ! One does have to acquire at least basic skills before even trying to do the difficult stuff. ;) :lol: :cool:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Well maybe if Christopher has some basic riding experience at least. ;) Just about as easy as getting on board a WWII Spitfire and trying to fly it if one only knows how to fly a Piper Cub. ( Just guessing about both riding and flying. ;) :p ).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piper_J-3

If one is getting on a plane for the first time that would be a bad idea ! One does have to acquire at least basic skills before even trying to do the difficult stuff. ;) :lol: :cool:

I misunderstood. I saw some photos on the website of the competitors fighting on foot and was thinking that maybe he could participate in that and not the joust. I would agree with you Jean that the horse adds another degree of danger and skill and I would not recommend that Chris participate in the joust unless was already pretty good on a horse and had some specialized training.. However if he had the option to fight on foot, then I don't see why he couldn't do that. Good catch. I can see that would be misinterpreted.
Allen all O.K. here: I see what you mean about participating but within one's limits.

As to the horse stuff he could have maybe participated in a limited way getting advice and instruction as long as he could at least get on the horse and stay on the horse just riding but avoid the actual jousting. ;) :cool:

Quintain work might have been an option and getting used to riding with shield and lance a way to begin I think.

Gordon Fry has done or is still doing some jousting and might be a good resource to look up for advice as I think he has been on a horse since he was 4 years old.

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/profile.php?mod...amp;u=1792
A second look at the website indicates that all of the competition is on horseback (too bad). Maybe they could give him some specialized training during the slow times of the event. A photo on horseback would be a great momento to take away from the weekend. Afterall, some of the fifteenth century sword masters were rumoured to have been a calvary officers. ;)
You know I never thought about asking the others there for assistance in these matters of horse training, though as I will be there very early (A day or two before the event kicks off) I will inquire of others if perhaps I can get some partial training in.
Great tip! Thanks guys
I'd like to shoot out an update of this event,

I will be competing in the foot combat tournament! The first time I've ever actually put my armor to the test under tournament conditions. I am quite physicked about this event. As well as putting on some great demo's of the use of the pole axe.

The website has a bit more info then the last time it was posted. www.texasjoust.com

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: