Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The Mehmet Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
Jean-Carle Hudon

PostPosted: Wed 13 Apr, 2011 9:18 am    Post subject: Worth the wait         Reply with quote

Matthew,
well worth the wait. I'm surprised that it comes out at less than three pounds, looks massive.
I'm not usually much impressed by two-handers, but this really is a special piece.
Congrats to you and John and Vince.

Bon coeur et bon bras
Matt Corbin

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Thu 14 Apr, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's a fantastic sword. John really outdid himself. But now you need to answer the question everyone really wants to know.....what's the bottom of the box look like?
“This was the age of heroes, some legendary, some historical . . . the misty borderland of history where fact and legend mingle.”
- R. Ewart Oakeshott
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 15 Apr, 2011 11:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matt Corbin wrote:
That's a fantastic sword. John really outdid himself. But now you need to answer the question everyone really wants to know.....what's the bottom of the box look like?

Yeah, we never did see the bottom of the box. Razz

Well, great looking sword but I was almost not going to comment considering how low you dragged out the joke. Wink Razz Laughing Out Loud

EDITED FOR UNFORTUNATE TYPO:

Should have read, " Well, great looking sword but I was almost not going to comment considering how long you dragged out the joke. Wink Razz Laughing Out Loud

LONG not LOW

Most typos are just spelling mistakes but this one was really bad because it changed what was intended as just mild teasing into what seemed like a nasty putdown ! I want to apologize to Matthew for any hurt feelings or distress this might have caused him or given the wrong impression to others who may have read the " uncorrected post ".

Luckily someone sent me a P.M. letting me know that I probably had made a bad typo, and thanks !

And yes it is a very great looking sword and a great piece of sword art.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sat 16 Apr, 2011 11:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh, just bumping the Topic to be sure that anyone who read my last post, before I edited it, sees the correction to the typo and my apology. Blush
Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Mon 18 Apr, 2011 6:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Oh, just bumping the Topic to be sure that anyone who read my last post, before I edited it, sees the correction to the typo and my apology. Blush

And I did, JT, I appreciate the sensitivity and attention ...

A shot of the scabbarded sword ...

Ken Speed

PostPosted: Mon 18 Apr, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew, You do indeed have a very beautiful sword and John did an outstanding job for you. This thread and your other post about working with John are probably fodder for yet another thread, this one would be about the interplay between customer and custom builder. I'll leave exploring that to someone else however.

I'm curious about the sword type. Clearly the original Mehmet sword is a decorative or parade sword but I'm wondering if swords of this configuration were commonly used in battle.

I'll freely admit that I am, for the most part, pretty ignorant about middle eastern weaponry.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 18 Apr, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz wrote:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:

And I did, JT, I appreciate the sensitivity and attention ...

A shot of the scabbarded sword ...

Well I'm relieved because I was really unhappy about writing something hurtful even if unintentionally.

Back to this excellent sword: So how does it feel in hand ? Statistics are great but often it's moving it around that tells the tale.

Handling with a really big sword like this can vary a lot depending on if one handles it one handed or twohanded: Since it looks fairly big it might be better used in two hands ? But, just asking out of curiosity. Wink

Although, not a Messer or Falchion I would think in use it would have similar characteristics in common with these or with large sabres in general ?

No matter what the aesthetics of a sword I'm always curious about how it would/could be used. Big Grin Cool

PostPosted: Tue 19 Apr, 2011 7:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ken Speed wrote:

Matthew, You do indeed have a very beautiful sword and John did an outstanding job for you.
This thread and your other post about working with John are probably fodder for yet another
thread, this one would be about the interplay between customer and custom builder. I'll leave
exploring that to someone else however.

I'm curious about the sword type. Clearly the original Mehmet sword is a decorative or parade
sword but I'm wondering if swords of this configuration were commonly used in battle.

I'll freely admit that I am, for the most part, pretty ignorant about middle eastern weaponry.

From what I've read about the original sword, it's considered a ceremonial sword because of
its size. The blade-type fascinates me as well, Ken, specially when you take into account the
variety of curve in these middle-eastern sabers, whose blade lengthes are normally -- I think --
around 30 inches or less ...

Case in point ...

Try as I might, however, I could NOT find an historical example of a kilij-style two-handed sword.
And I wouldn't be surprised if no such example exists. Obviously, this might create the opinion
in some that at best my sword is a " fantasy sword, " and -- it should be known -- this doesn't
bother me. I remember showing one of my Polish War Sabers in another forum dedicated to
antique weaponry, and sensed a bit of ... attitude ... in their kind, good natured replies.

As for the experience between customer and custom-sword-builder, Ken, I have to admit I've
learned from my own mistakes and expectations. One thing it pays to remember is to really be
patient -- and this can be a test depending on the person you're working with. I chose John
Lundemo
because I liked the pattern I saw in his work-habit : He would show a group of new
blades, then week to week and month to month process and show a finished sword. I kinda had
a count-down to go by ...

Another thing that it pays to remember is this wonnerful corner-niche-market of sword-makers we
support; as much as one would like to compare it to the sometimes quicker turn-arounds of say
an Albion or Valiant piece, you have to remember you're normally dealing with one man;
and his life is subject to the same problems and set-backs we all have. Health, family, finance, etc
etc etc.

For myself, with what I'd seen over the years of John's performance and practices ? time wasn't
an issue. We updated once each month, if there was more to say ? we said it, if there was nothing
going on ? it was " ... talk to you next month. " Now, would I've loooved to talk about what was going
on week-to-week ? Sure, who wouldn't, right ? But, patting myself on the back or not, I was determined
NOT to bug the man.

I think it may have been written elsewhere, but you come to realize you'd rather have the maker at
his work-bench as opposed to at his keyboard ...
Ken Speed

PostPosted: Tue 19 Apr, 2011 11:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the pictures. The kilj in the center photo, the straighter one with the white grip, looks like it could be the Mehmet's little brother, doesn't it?

You wrote, "Try as I might, however, I could NOT find an historical example of a kilij-style two-handed sword.
And I wouldn't be surprised if no such example exists. Obviously, this might create the opinion
in some that at best my sword is a " fantasy sword, " and -- it should be known -- this doesn't
bother me"

Well, if it is a fantasy sword its one of those fantasies that deserve to be real. To put it another way, your sword looks like such a well engineered, balanced and efficient weapon that I'm surprised to hear that such swords were not made. On one hand I'm reminded of the big two handed war messers, although your sword makes them look like big butcher knives, and on the other hand I'm reminded of the beautiful Swiss sabers we see here occasionally.

I have a mental image (from movies I'm sure) of Turkish sword wielding soldiers also carrying a smallish round shield, perhaps they didn't have the concept of larger two handed swords or maybe they didn't use two handers because their fighting tradition emanates from mounted warriors.

Have you used the sword to cut anything? Can the unwary walk by your house without risking getting shortened? Laughing Out Loud

Once again, congratulations to both you and John

. I

PostPosted: Wed 20 Apr, 2011 6:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:

Back to this excellent sword: So how does it feel in hand ? Statistics are great but often it's moving it
around that tells the tale.

Handling with a really big sword like this can vary a lot depending on if one handles it one handed or
twohanded: Since it looks fairly big it might be better used in two hands ? But, just asking out of curiosity. Wink

Although, not a Messer or Falchion I would think in use it would have similar characteristics in common
with these or with large sabres in general ?

No matter what the aesthetics of a sword I'm always curious about how it would/could be used. Big Grin Cool

Although I'm no swordsman, JT, I do take the time to get a feel for my swords and I'm of the opinion this
blade could have easily been made as a single-handed kilij. One might then be tempted to say it is an
" overbuilt " sword, but I'm of an opinion that there are many historic examples of " overbuilt " swords --
heck, the inspiration for this particular project is a decorative ceremonial sword ... B-) I'm tempted to say
" It feels that light, " but I'll amend that by suggesting " It feels that right ... " If you follow me. In two-hands
the sword feels like it could fly ...

While I mentioned that some of the sword's stats are based on those of The Albion Duke, I no longer
have said blade, but still own The Albion Baron ... To give all an idea of a size comparison I give you
this :

Quote:
And yes it is a very great looking sword and a great piece of sword art.

For myself, JT, each of my swords -- even the few production pieces I still own -- are as much works of
art as they are functional weapons. I display them in such a way that my eyes can drift to them as if, well,
pardon this thought, a beautiful woman just crossed my path.

B-)

PostPosted: Sat 24 Mar, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A bit of an update, maybe longtime in coming ... while this project was inspired by an
original historical blade as well as a similarily inspired blade by Vince Evans, there'd
been some discussion as to whether a two-handed sword of this type might have
actually existed.

I can't tell you at this time whether the original Sword Of Mehmet or the swords pictured
below might have been inspired by each other, but it appears that a hand-an-a-half
Hungarian or perhaps Veneitian blade did indeed exist ...

This is a picture of a collection of sabers from the Budapest National Museum ...

This is a picture of a 15th Century Hungarian Saber ...

Note : Let me acknowledge the fact that this information was found in another forum;
might be considered 3rd hand hand-me-down facts; but I've no reason to mistrust the
accuracy of the information otherwise.
William P

PostPosted: Mon 26 Mar, 2012 1:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

a very nice sword, verynice and brutish without becoming a blade from an orc,

but as to the comment of 2 handed sabres because their style of fighting was that of mounted warriors, i point you to the samurai. initially mounted warriors mostly, to the point their armour was initially very boxy and, as ive heard, quite uncomfortable for ground fighting.
these guys used the tachi, a 2 handed long bladed sabre.

so it doesnt seem unthinkable mounted warriors could carry a hand and a half sabre as a backup, especially if it has the balance that might make it somewhat usable one handed with a shield. which unless im mistaken some albion hand and a halfers have those characteristics.
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Fri 30 Mar, 2012 8:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William P wrote:
i point you to the samurai. initially mounted warriors mostly, to the point their armour was initially very boxy and, as ive heard, quite uncomfortable for ground fighting.
these guys used the tachi, a 2 handed long bladed sabre.

The tachi was originally a one-handed sword with a visibly shorter handle than later katana. You can see the difference here: http://home.earthlink.net/~steinrl/sugata/shape.htm

(That being said, some tachi certainly had hilts long enough to be gripped in two hands, but the primary purpose was as a one-handed weapon.)
Michael Beeching

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Mon 24 Feb, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is perhaps an awkward bump, but I'd like to say that I'm sorry to see you needing to part with this beautiful sword. I'm not a huge fan of sabres, but those with the lovely broad blades or long blades (szable and Swiss two-handed sabres are great examples) really strike my fancy. Not to mention that imposing reverse-edge...

In any sense, I hope you're able to get what you're after. I don't think I could part with a sword like this if it was in my possession!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The Mehmet
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: