Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Patrick Barta type XI sword commission Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 05 May, 2011 11:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, customs has my sword Mad

So paying extra for two-day delivery, in my case, was a waste of money. I have a call in to see why they have my sword. The UPS employee can't give me any information at this time, but she is going to try to get something from the customs guy.

I just hope, hope, hope that if they take a look at it, that they don't put grubby hands all over the blade, and I receive a spotty and blemished new piece. Hopefully, they will also package it up and not destroy anything.

Annoying. . . . .

UPDATE: Apparently US customs require wood crates being sent from the Czech Republic to be heat treated to kill any possible pests, and to have some kind of stamp on the crate that shows this was done.

So, unfortunately, my sword is on it's way BACK to the Czech Republic. THe crate will have to be treated or the packing material changed. . . .

Add to this that the shipping will have to be paid AGAIN!

So folks having something sent from the Czech Republic should know this in order to avoid the inconvinience I am dealing with.

Jeremy
Paul Hansen

PostPosted: Fri 06 May, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Too bad... Sad

Heat treating a wooden crate sounds strange though. I would expect fumigation to be enough?
Jeremy V. Krause

PostPosted: Fri 06 May, 2011 4:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul Hansen wrote:
Too bad... Sad

Heat treating a wooden crate sounds strange though. I would expect fumigation to be enough?

Actually, fumigation is another acceptable option to meet US customs regulations. The key is to have a certain stamp applied to wooden crates or, for that matter, wooden pallets coming into the US. This has actually been the policy since 2007 I learned. It may even be the requirement of shipments from Canada!

I guess the reason we may not be so aware of it in the context of our hobby is that, according to UPS, only 1% of international shipments get inspected due to manpower limitations.

It is the responsibility of the shipper to insure that packaging meets US customs standards, though, in this case, I think we can all say that such standards are largely meaningless.

Regarding my shipment, in the case of the Czech Republic, this would have meant for Patrick to have contacted the Czech department of agriculture even when, due to his experience, he had no reason to do so. He checked into what he would have to do to meet US customs standards and emailed me that the only option meeting said said standards would mean to purchase a $100 pre-fabricated crate from a certain local firm which would take 3 weeks to assemble. He, understandably, wasn't pleased with this option. Happy

So to finally have my sword delivered as soon as I wanted it Patrick has chosen to construct a crate out of a plastic/wood composite substance and send my sword off again, and baring any further complications, I should be receiving it the end of next week.

So when I finally get my new toy, it will have gone from the Czech Republic to Kentucky, USA to the Czech Republic and finally to my front door- or at least I hope that will be the extent of it's travels.
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Fri 06 May, 2011 9:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, the sword is something of an international hobo! Bummer about the shipping thing, but nice to know as I'm close to having something else sent here from that part of the world. I'll make sure the packing is good... The extra waiting will make it that much sweeter when it shows!
Jeremy V. Krause

PostPosted: Mon 23 May, 2011 11:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

So after an extended process of international travel I finally received my new Patrick Barta sword a few days ago.

I will spend more time writting about this great weapon but for now here are some pictures. I hope they give a good overall image of this sword.

Enjoy!

[img][/img]

[img]]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Mon 23 May, 2011 12:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sweet relief! It looks great, Jeremy! What a joy it must be to get this sword! I am envious! How about a pic of the scabbard?
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 23 May, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's a beauty Jeremy. I know how long you waited for it, looks like it was worth it. Big Grin
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
J.D. Crawford

PostPosted: Mon 23 May, 2011 2:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Jeremy,

I see what you mean now about the liminated iron - it almost has a pattern welded look to it. That's a very unique feature. I'm looking forward to seeing your review and perhaps even seeing the sword in person some day (after your move).

-JD
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 23 May, 2011 11:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Check out Jeremy's mini review here: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=23176
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Julien M

PostPosted: Tue 24 May, 2011 8:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
It will be interesting to see what Patrick Barta does with those beast heads on the guard

beast heads? I've always thought the quillons tips were shapped like fingers (nails)!

I need to get more pictures of the original.

J

Attachment: 20.44 KB
xi6_394.jpg

Jeremy V. Krause

PostPosted: Tue 24 May, 2011 9:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Julien M wrote:
Roger Hooper wrote:
It will be interesting to see what Patrick Barta does with those beast heads on the guard

beast heads? I've always thought the quillons tips were shapped like fingers (nails)!

I need to get more pictures of the original.

J

OK Julien,

I think you've got your next custom figured out! Fingers, nice. Paint the nails red perhaps?
Julien M

PostPosted: Tue 24 May, 2011 9:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:

OK Julien,

I think you've got your next custom figured out! Fingers, nice. Paint the nails red perhaps?

Well, you have to admit that the picture above does leave room for interpretation (from the chosen angle I still see a finger pointing downwards!), and such oddities on sword hilts would not have surprised all that much really.

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...mp;start=0

Nice sword by the way, I have yet to see one of Barta that I don't like.

J
Jeremy V. Krause

PostPosted: Tue 24 May, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Julien M wrote:
Jeremy V. Krause wrote:

OK Julien,

Well, you have to admit that the picture above does leave room for interpretation (from the chosen angle I still see a finger pointing downwards!), and such oddities on sword hilts would not have surprised all that much really.

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...mp;start=0

Nice sword by the way, I have yet to see one of Barta that I don't like.

J

Oh, I didn't mean to suggest that your perception was absurd. I can totally see how interpretation is needed in this case.

I likely, automatically, see a beast-head because Oakeshott states it is so. Our perceptioons can be shaped by what we read you know. Happy

THanks for the complement on the sword.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Patrick Barta type XI sword commission
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: