Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Maker of Good Sword Sdabbards ??? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jack W. Englund

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Sat 02 Apr, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Maker of Good Sword Sdabbards ???         Reply with quote

Who, besides "Triton Works" makes a good Sword Scabbard ( basket hilt ) ??????
I like His work but 18mos + is to far out.

Jack
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sat 02 Apr, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good is so open to individual interpretation and opinion. Of those I've dealt with...

There is Christian Fletcher in the US, whose work I've owned and been very impressed by. Unfortunately he (also) usually has a fairly busy schedule and the cost matches the quality of his production.

Todd's Stuff out of the UK. Have small smattering of his work, and have seen a bit more first hand. Impressive. Turn around seems good but I don't know much about his scabbard only program and international shipping ends up being a consideration in the mix.

My (current) personal favorite for a "good" scabbard is Sonny Suttles (mixed some names up there) at Valiant Armoury. My experience is that price is right, quality is good, and turn around is singularly impressive.

Added: assuming that one of these guys want to do the work and have room in their queue, I'm reasonably confident that any of them can turn out anything you can imagine wanting. Its all going to be a question of cost, time involved, and your ability to describe all of the details of what you want them to create, which can be much more complicated than might be expected.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd

Last edited by Joe Fults on Sun 03 Apr, 2011 7:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 02 Apr, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I must say that I think simply looking for a scabbard maker is a faulty approach. I'm asking, "For what?"

Luckily you included the brief mention of "basket-hilt". Even then, I'd ask, "What kind? What era?" And even after that, I'd ask, "For what purpose?" (historical authenticity? mere protection for storage? an art piece? for simple reenactment? for living history? for hanging on a wall? what?)

A scabbard is not a scabbard is not a scabbard. Time periods, origin, and other factors define construction specifics and details for the finished product. As such, assessing a maker requires knowing what you're trying to have made.

It would be akin to saying, "Who makes a good sword?" To that question, I'd ask, "What kind of sword?" The answers would be completely different depending on the response.

Quality answers require quality questions.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jack W. Englund

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Sun 03 Apr, 2011 9:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
I must say that I think simply looking for a scabbard maker is a faulty approach. I'm asking, "For what?"

Luckily you included the brief mention of "basket-hilt". Even then, I'd ask, "What kind? What era?" And even after that, I'd ask, "For what purpose?" (historical authenticity? mere protection for storage? an art piece? for simple reenactment? for living history? for hanging on a wall? what?)

A scabbard is not a scabbard is not a scabbard. Time periods, origin, and other factors define construction specifics and details for the finished product. As such, assessing a maker requires knowing what you're trying to have made.

It would be akin to saying, "Who makes a good sword?" To that question, I'd ask, "What kind of sword?" The answers would be completely different depending on the response.

Quality answers require quality questions.

Nathan, Good input.

Here is my 2 fold dilemma - I am both attempting to assist a friend in procuring a Sword ( see my quarries on "Border Reiver" swords. PLUS I am looking to purchase an AC or equivalent ( exact model is ??? )

If I were (or if my friend opts to) buying a Mid Range good Sword such as a Hanwei etc , the basic solution would be taken care of ( most offer the sword & Scabbard as a pkg. ( although a couple do not ) & they are acceptable for my requirements ( see below )) But the AC + level makers, ?? ( I may be wrong, but ...) I also have an opportunity to get an AC "S hilt" which has a "sheath from AC (& I do not like)

Purpose = Various ( I realize my "needs" will cause some to go - OMG)
a. Scottish "events" ( Weddings, Burns Nights etc.)
b. Simple reenactment ( HC not "critical", as Non "judged") Time line only needs to be "close" ( late 1500s - mid 1700s, depending on the Sword.)
c. Living History - Basically in the Americas ( see above.)
Note, I make my own "hangers, Baldrics.But making a Scabbard is beyond my skills.

Jack
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 03 Apr, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Contact Sonny Suttles at the Custom Sword Shoppe:

http://www.custom-sword-shoppe.com/

His shop does excellent work for the money, and I have yet to see something they could not do. You'll pay 2x the price elsewhere for something that looks the same, IMHO. Happy

J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
Kel Rekuta

PostPosted: Sun 03 Apr, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jack W. Englund wrote:

Nathan, Good input.

Here is my 2 fold dilemma - I am both attempting to assist a friend in procuring a Sword ( see my quarries on "Border Reiver" swords. PLUS I am looking to purchase an AC or equivalent ( exact model is ??? )

If I were (or if my friend opts to) buying a Mid Range good Sword such as a Hanwei etc , the basic solution would be taken care of ( most offer the sword & Scabbard as a pkg. ( although a couple do not ) & they are acceptable for my requirements ( see below )) But the AC + level makers, ?? ( I may be wrong, but ...) I also have an opportunity to get an AC "S hilt" which has a "sheath from AC (& I do not like)

Note, I make my own "hangers, Baldrics.But making a Scabbard is beyond my skills.

Jack

A properly constructed scabbard should be in the same range of value as the sword that goes in it. One may make or buy a fitted protective cover to keep the blade safe during transport for very little - $50-100

A thin poplar core only seems difficult because so many homemade scabbard projects are more complicated than necessary. Carving or routing out a thin board? Unnecessary.

Glue up layers of wood veneer around the blade. Wrap the assembly with fine cloth or even masking tape until the glue in the layers cures. Cover it with whatever material pleases you. Making all the little furniture to mount the scabbard to a belt - well there's the rub, eh? That's were the experience, tooling and research come in - that value has to be compensated in the price of the project.

If you can make an acceptable blade and furnish it - you can make the findings you need to mount the scabbard. The rest is just simple gluing, clamping and leatherwork. Like anything else, you need some specialized tools to do anything interesting. However, a simple project only requires simple tools. In this case, some glue and wood veneer from any hardware / woodwork supply shop, a good sharp knife and lots of clamps and lots of patience.

Cheers!
Ed Toton

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 04 Apr, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've been very happy with the scabbards I've gotten from DBK Custom Swords, so that would probably be worth looking at.
-Ed T. Toton III
ed.toton.org | ModernChivalry.org
My armor photos on facebook
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Mon 04 Apr, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Many of us have multiple Windlass scabbards gathering dust. I certainly do. When you get your blade dimensions, put out a call for WS scabbards that might match. I currently have at least four. These would be good-enough quality for what you'd want 'em for.
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Maker of Good Sword Sdabbards ???
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic