Museum excavation condition swords
I don't know if any one has seen this on Darksword Armory http://www.darksword-armory.com/excavation-Co...words.html .I think some of these sword would have looked good as a functional weapon at least these ones have a beefy tang , but I'm sure there people interested in these swords ??
When I saw these "excavated swords", my first response was to wonder if anyone will try to resell one on someplace like Ebay as a genuine antique at a huge profit.
I would not think they could be resold unless the buyer was completely uneducated - though there is a risk of this happening at local antique sales, estate auctions, etc. The patina is way off base (the rust is still active), the sword is in overall new/unused condtion, and the pommel, guard, and blade forms are incorrect in many cases. I think they might be nice to throw up as decor in an office or den if you could get the active rust stopped for the price they are going for.

Since I keep of my real weapons locked away, I'd rather one of these get stolen than a real one! :)
JE Sarge wrote:
I would not think they could be resold unless the buyer was completely uneducated

That's exactly the type of person they would be looking for. Caveat Emptor on Ebay
Not my cup of tea really although I think it would have been neat to have different levels of degrading and then you could just choose whichever one of their swords you wanted it done to rather than making this separate line.

I think raven armory does that actually if I recall.
I think its a neat idea. They are much cheaper than their other swords.
Eyal at DSA has been kind enough to donate some of these to our museum for use at our festival, The Midwest Viking Festival. They are listed as one of the festival sponsors. I'll also add the swords to our Viking exhibit and taking them out for educational outreach programs. The swords should be arriving this week. I see there may be some minor adjustments to make, and I'll probably stop the active rust, followed by a thin coat of wax or oil. We'll see. I like the look of the 10th C. sword. I sure hope DSA keeps the rust lab far away from the regular production blades.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: