Etching the Sword of Godfred
Can anyone provide me or direct me with a tutorial on how to enhance the etching of the blade of the sword of Godfred? At present only the fuller reveals the Damascus patterns but I would like for all of the blade to show the pattern.

Thanks
Try rubbing on a lightly acidic liquid such as vinigar or lemon juice.
I'm not certain that sword is actually Damascus. Does anyone know for sure whether there's even a pattern to reveal?
Whether Hanwei is simply running long billets through rollers to achieve the folding/layers on the Godfreds, it is not a faux etch to simulate the layers. I have both a broken and sound blade that shows that but as far as the rest of the blade, it is the entire blade that is layered, not just the fuller. Aaron Justice had sanded down and etched his with pretty nice results. My feeling is that even without etching, a nicely polished blade will show it somewhat. The factory etch of the Godfred fullers has always been a bit starkly coarse.

Here is the only picture I have of Aaron's. General searches for Godfred on any of the boards will yield lots about these.

Cheers

GC

Attachment: 83.42 KB
godfred.jpg

I stand corrected. And I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised. My opinion of Hanwei has gone up a bit. The pattern in the picture is very nice.
I received an email from Aaron Justice who did that pictured Godfred sword and he stated that "...I did polish the edges to around 2000 grit, then used a q-tip to apply hot vinegar to the blade. The folded pattern just appeared more heavily after that..."

Now I'm wondering should I go the vinegar way or if dipping it in PCB etching solution is more effective. Any thoughts folks?
http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?t=48789
Thanks folks for all that info

Joe

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: