Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Raven Armoury Scimitar Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Lance Morris

PostPosted: Fri 12 Dec, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject: hello         Reply with quote

Mixed reviews on here.
You may wanna give them a go and you can tell us what you think.

We rarely think about this when purchasing a sword but what of their resale?

If you spend $4k on a sword will you get $1k if you need to sell it?
David Spencer

PostPosted: Fri 12 Dec, 2014 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick Update         Reply with quote

Kirill R wrote:
Quick Update: I went ahead with the Raven sword, choosing a custom (only slightly modified) version of the Evolution scimitar. Went with all silver, no plating. That was back in April 2011. We agreed on a 1 year payment and then delivery schedule.

Since then, there has been a lot of waiting, promises and hoping.

I am told the blade will finally make it before Christmas this year! Very exciting! I will of course post many pictures and do a review when received.

In Dec 2010 I ordered some swords from Raven Armouries and paid deposits with a completion time of around two years, I am still waiting. I have received emails about every six to eight months explaining the delays, but to be honest I am losing hope of ever seeing these completed.
I was told in march this year that I would have two of the swords I ordered by the end of year, I have not heard back from them since march, so I think it unlikely that they will get here now. I will say that I am very disappointed with their lack of communication and have since stopped buying custom swords from any maker, at this stage my only option as I see it is to wait till the end of the year and if nothing arrives I will cancel my order with the hope of a refund.

Kiril I do hope you receive yours on time and if so could please post it here.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 12 Dec, 2014 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: hello         Reply with quote

Lance Morris wrote:
Mixed reviews on here.

I've only seen four or five swords come up for sale over the years, but their resale value was not great; none come close to meeting their original price tags.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Kirill R

PostPosted: Sun 14 Dec, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: hello         Reply with quote

Lance Morris wrote:
Mixed reviews on here.

Good point. I have considered the question of resale value. For this sword, it is something special and my intention is to keep it for my entire life and hopefully pass it down.
Kirill R

PostPosted: Sun 14 Dec, 2014 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick Update         Reply with quote

David Spencer wrote:
Kirill R wrote:
Quick Update: I went ahead with the Raven sword, choosing a custom (only slightly modified) version of the Evolution scimitar. Went with all silver, no plating. That was back in April 2011. We agreed on a 1 year payment and then delivery schedule.

Since then, there has been a lot of waiting, promises and hoping.

I am told the blade will finally make it before Christmas this year! Very exciting! I will of course post many pictures and do a review when received.

In Dec 2010 I ordered some swords from Raven Armouries and paid deposits with a completion time of around two years, I am still waiting. I have received emails about every six to eight months explaining the delays, but to be honest I am losing hope of ever seeing these completed.
I was told in march this year that I would have two of the swords I ordered by the end of year, I have not heard back from them since march, so I think it unlikely that they will get here now. I will say that I am very disappointed with their lack of communication and have since stopped buying custom swords from any maker, at this stage my only option as I see it is to wait till the end of the year and if nothing arrives I will cancel my order with the hope of a refund.

Kiril I do hope you receive yours on time and if so could please post it here.

David, I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I can't help but feel the same way. It has been immensely frustrating. I in fact just got word of further delays. January 2015 is the new completion date.

I'm not sure what to say. We are unfortunately at his mercy in terms of wait time. I have seen posts where people do eventually receive the swords - 5+ years later. They are all very happy with the end result.

I will keep this thread alive with updates. David, please let me know how your experience progresses.
Kirill R

PostPosted: Sun 14 Dec, 2014 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: hello         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Lance Morris wrote:
Mixed reviews on here.

I've only seen four or five swords come up for sale over the years, but their resale value was not great; none come close to meeting their original price tags.

Here's one that begs to differ: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=30675
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 15 Dec, 2014 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: hello         Reply with quote

Kirill R wrote:

Here's one that begs to differ: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=30675

The Subject lines says " REMOVED " that doesn't mean that it was purchased at the asking price only that the offer to sell was removed/deleted/rescinded.

May have been sold through another method like EBAY ? But we can't know it from the information in the linked Topic. And, if sold, we don't know if the guy got the price he wanted.

Usually when a piece on the Marketplace Forum is actually purchased it's marked " SOLD ".

All in all, this whole Topic doesn't inspire confidence in any promised delivery times by the maker and it seems like extremely poor customer service, even assuming that the end product is worth the nose bleed astronomical price !

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 15 Dec, 2014 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: hello         Reply with quote

Kirill R wrote:
Nathan Robinson wrote:
Lance Morris wrote:
Mixed reviews on here.

How does that beg to differ? It remains unsold.

Further, how can it "beg to differ" since my post indicates what I've seen and what my own experience has been. Are you saying that somebody else is a better judge of my own experiences? That's ridiculous, of course.

Unlike some others, I report on what I actually see and know. I do not speculate without couching it as such. Let me reiterate my point: of the four or five Raven Armoury items I've seen sold, none of them exceeded their purchase price and in fact were sold at a fairly substantial loss. This is a factually correct statement and not an opinion.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Elric Rabenfels

PostPosted: Mon 15 Dec, 2014 1:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can only second that, I don't see how that marketplace offer changes anything about the experiences Nathan had himself.

Not to mention that I honestly consider fifteen thousand dollars a ridiculous price, all things and materials considered.
I could get a sword of the same (If not better) quality and materials from Peter Johnsson himself for half the price...

Not to mention that the mark of the armoury would completely ruin any historical piece, thanks to it's overly modern design.

- What can change the nature of a man?
Kirill R

PostPosted: Mon 15 Dec, 2014 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: hello         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Kirill R wrote:
Nathan Robinson wrote:
Lance Morris wrote:
Mixed reviews on here.

How does that beg to differ? It remains unsold.

Further, how can it "beg to differ" since my post indicates what I've seen and what my own experience has been. Are you saying that somebody else is a better judge of my own experiences? That's ridiculous, of course.

Unlike some others, I report on what I actually see and know. I do not speculate without couching it as such. Let me reiterate my point: of the four or five Raven Armoury items I've seen sold, none of them exceeded their purchase price and in fact were sold at a fairly substantial loss. This is a factually correct statement and not an opinion.

Nobody is countering what you say your experience has been. This is not about you. I'm surprised you took it so personally.

It is a post to show that higher prices are possible. Although what happened to the item in question is unclear. It was certainly not sold through myArmoury, if sold at all.

I realize a lot of folks are looking to buy a sword as an investment. Hence, resale value is of concern.

Raven Armoury has been around a long time (since the 80s) and I imagine sold quite a few swords. Yet, only 4-5 of these have been seen over the years at myArmoury and very few elsewhere. Given the lack of Raven swords in the marketplace tells me it is difficult to know their true resale potential as the sample size is too small. This may suggest most folks are choosing to keep their Raven swords.

Whatever the reason for the lack of market activity for Raven swords, to me it is an emotional decision. Hence, resale value is not of concern.
Kirill R

PostPosted: Mon 15 Dec, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: hello         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Kirill R wrote:

The Subject lines says " REMOVED " that doesn't mean that it was purchased at the asking price only that the offer to sell was removed/deleted/rescinded.

May have been sold through another method like EBAY ? But we can't know it from the information in the linked Topic. And, if sold, we don't know if the guy got the price he wanted.

Usually when a piece on the Marketplace Forum is actually purchased it's marked " SOLD ".

All in all, this whole Topic doesn't inspire confidence in any promised delivery times by the maker and it seems like extremely poor customer service, even assuming that the end product is worth the nose bleed astronomical price !

You have a point about the service. If I had to do it again, I probably would not. I also agree, they are priced extravagantly.
Kirill R

PostPosted: Mon 15 Dec, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mario Patzke wrote:
I can only second that, I don't see how that marketplace offer changes anything about the experiences Nathan had himself.

Not to mention that I honestly consider fifteen thousand dollars a ridiculous price, all things and materials considered.
I could get a sword of the same (If not better) quality and materials from Peter Johnsson himself for half the price...

Not to mention that the mark of the armoury would completely ruin any historical piece, thanks to it's overly modern design.

Indeed, 15K was a ridiculous asking price.

The evolution scimitar is not based on history. It is fantasy. The mark of the maker is for authenticity. The 'overly modern design' is by design. Happy
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 16 Dec, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: hello         Reply with quote

Kirill R wrote:
Nobody is countering what you say your experience has been. This is not about you. I'm surprised you took it so personally.

I don't know if I took it personally, but I took it to be addressed to me personally because you quoted my post and responded to me personally. That is how forum discussions work. You talk to me. I talk to you. There's a personal exchange of conversation between us. Hence, our exchange is about me. It was about you. Simple.

My response, which was personally addressed to you, was intended to further clarify the point that I made: it was not an opinion that I posted, but an account of my personal experience. There really wasn't space to "differ" on that as you did. I did hope, however, that others would be encouraged to post their own personal experiences on the subject. So far, it hasn't happened.

Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 16 Dec, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick Update         Reply with quote

David Spencer wrote:
I was told in march this year that I would have two of the swords I ordered by the end of year, I have not heard back from them since march, so I think it unlikely that they will get here now. I will say that I am very disappointed with their lack of communication and have since stopped buying custom swords from any maker, at this stage my only option as I see it is to wait till the end of the year and if nothing arrives I will cancel my order with the hope of a refund..

Sometimes progress payments can help. Start with a small deposit to get the project started and send another payment after receiving photos of each stage of completion. This ongoing two-way interaction also helps build a case against either party if there is a legal dispute.

Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen and Sword Books
Kirill R

PostPosted: Tue 16 Dec, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: hello         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Kirill R wrote:

I don't know if I took it personally, but I took it to be addressed to me personally because you quoted my post and responded to me personally. That is how forum discussions work. You talk to me. I talk to you. There's a personal exchange of conversation between us. Hence, our exchange is about me. It was about you. Simple.

My response, which was personally addressed to you, was intended to further clarify the point that I made: it was not an opinion that I posted, but an account of my personal experience. There really wasn't space to "differ" on that as you did. I did hope, however, that others would be encouraged to post their own personal experiences on the subject. So far, it hasn't happened.

I am aware how forums work. Your mocking tone is not appreciated.

You are missing my point and yet again making this overly personal. Your account of events was never in question. I did not think it was an opinion. Please get over this.

The space to "differ" was as I described it in my prior post, hence will not repeat again here.
Eric SC

PostPosted: Thu 25 Dec, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi, I just wanted to post an update on my Raven commission also. Mine too has been delayed several times but I am not too worried about getting it, just when it might happen. I feel that Simon of Raven Armouries is an artisan first and the business side is not as well developed much as I wish it were otherwise.

In the custom sword world long wait times are not unusual, not that that is a good thing! I've waited over three years for a sword that was already built but just needed hilt fittings! That was not Raven Armoury btw but another well known and respected smith. It happens but what can you do but wait?

I don't like it but I can tolerate it if I trust the smith. I think of it as anything worth having is worth waiting for. I certainly expect it will be worth the wait.

So, stick with it if you can but if not it's certainly understandable.
Kirill R

PostPosted: Fri 06 Mar, 2015 7:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric SC wrote:
Hi, I just wanted to post an update on my Raven commission also. Mine too has been delayed several times but I am not too worried about getting it, just when it might happen. I feel that Simon of Raven Armouries is an artisan first and the business side is not as well developed much as I wish it were otherwise.

In the custom sword world long wait times are not unusual, not that that is a good thing! I've waited over three years for a sword that was already built but just needed hilt fittings! That was not Raven Armoury btw but another well known and respected smith. It happens but what can you do but wait?

I don't like it but I can tolerate it if I trust the smith. I think of it as anything worth having is worth waiting for. I certainly expect it will be worth the wait.

So, stick with it if you can but if not it's certainly understandable.

Yup, agreed. You make a good point. I'm sorry to hear your commission has also been delayed. Out of curiosity, what did you commission from Simon at Raven Armoury?

I admire your positive attitude and I'll stick with it also as I do trust Simon. After 4 years of waiting I am certainly not going to give up now! Happy

Best of luck Eric!
William Swiger

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Sat 07 Mar, 2015 12:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have a couple older Raven Armoury blades that were hilted by other people. Some great history involved.

For one of them I bought, I tracked down the original owner and got this info:

"One of my oldest friends was the late Hank Reinhardt. I began corresponding with him when I was in the Army in the late 60s, visited him for the first time in 1970 and we remained close friends until his death a few years ago. I visited with Hank in 1994 when he was in negotiations with Raven to make swords for MRL. The deal never worked out, but Hank had some blades they'd sent, one of them that Oakeshott Type XII, which I got from him. He'd put a serviceable bowtie-and-brazil nut hilt on it, but I was never satisfied with it and thought it fairly begged for that transitional Viking treatment. So a few years ago I sent it to John Lundemo to have one made for it."

The other sword I got from Bruce Brookhart's personal collection and I think it was from the sample blades provided to MRL. I currently have the blade with Ernie for a new grip, scabbard and Viking fittings.

As far as long waiting lists, I am fine being on a waiting list for an indefinite period as long as no money is involved until the sword is ready to be started. I might provide a very small down payment if there is a reasonable wait involved. I have been on the receiving end a few times with projects that went way over the estimated completion date. Everyone is different on this and I respect other collectors views on the subject.

Non Timebo Mala
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Sun 08 Mar, 2015 9:11 pm    Post subject: Raven Armoury Scimitar         Reply with quote

First I thought the Raven Armoury scimitar mentioned here is the curved Middle Eastern sword often referred to as the shamshir. I was wrong. Blush

The RA scimitar looks more like a fantasy sword than a real-life Middle Eastern scimitar, though.

“You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength”

- Marcus Aurelius
Simon Langan

PostPosted: Fri 05 Jun, 2015 1:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I know Raven Armoury and purchased a number of items from him back in the Late 80`s early 90`s, Including a couple of swords , 1 scimitar, and a helm and double headed axe, I went to his forge to collect them and met Simon, who is a very nice guy, however his lead times are always way over what he estimates, even when I got my swords back when he had only been going around a year and had waiting times of around 3 months it took nearer to 9 months to get my orders and they are not the best at communicating things. But the final quality of what they produce is fantastic. I still have all the items I got from them and without doubt they are best in my collection. His prices are high, and the waiting time even higher but if you can wait it out and afford to pay his prices then you will I`m sure get something you won`t be disappointed with.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Raven Armoury Scimitar
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: