Strange Question Re: Helmet Suspension Attachment
If one were to use modern off-the-shelf hardware to make a quick-release helmet liner how would you do it?

A bit of back story:

I'm looking at getting a super light-gauge stainless kettle hat style helmet done up that would be used as a combination sun hat/basin/cooking pot (hence the "strange question" disclaimer in the title) and need the suspension to be able to be removed quickly and easily, and not compromise the ability of the helmet to be used for holding water. I've got all of the details worked out except this! Help! :surprised:
No liner at all? Just get a helmet made to fit over a separate padded coif.
I'd be worried about that getting rather hot on sunny days--since it's not going to be used as a bona-fide helmet so to speak I'm thinking a suspension would give better air flow, though I don't exactly have a ton of experience with wearing a padded coif in hot weather I can't imagine it feels too great! :\
I seem to remember a kettle hat with a laced in lining, though the lacing may have been a later replacement. You could see the laces from the outside of the helmet since they passed through holes in the helmet near the rim. That still leaves most of the bowl suitable for holding water.
I thought of the laced liner, but then you couldn't remove it quickly unless I'm mistaken. I looked at a bunch of authentic and reproduction helmet liners/suspensions and ones from more recent history (ww1/2...modern hardhats, etc) and can't really find a good solution. I was thinking maybe some welded or riveted bails along the inside of the brim, either fixed or with D-rings and then the suspension and chin strap could be attached with snap straps...and then the bails could be used for suspending over a fire. The big question would be how to have them not be visually in the way...

I do like the idea of the padded cap for use during the colder months, though. A nice quilted watch cap would keep your head from freezing if you went out on a blustery day!
Ben Bouchard wrote:
I thought of the laced liner, but then you couldn't remove it quickly unless I'm mistaken.

Why not? :) If it's tied in, you just undo the knot and take it out. When you put it back in, lace the strings through the holes and tie it in place. It's like a shoe.... :)
What kind of tied-in arrangement were you thinking of? Because the ones that I saw when I was searching for images were stitched in with lots and lots of holes, which would make it kind of a pain to undo, wouldn't it? I think anything more than 4 tied points would become enough of a hassle to deter me from using it for its intended purpose. :p
I like the coif idea because it's authentic... but...

how about making a hard leather shell that fits the inside of the helmet snugly. This is really not all the hard--make up the shell a little oversize, wet it, and force it in to dry.

Now affix any suspension system you want to the shell. It's a helmet liner as per a modern military helmet, and friction will hold it for your purposes for a long time. If you feel friction alone won't do, a pair of thongs or laces through riveted D tings (also your pot suspension!) will secure the whole thing.

Fun thought experiment.
Vervelles. Mount 'em backwards, so that the ring is on the inside of the helmet, and attach the liner with heavy cord or a wire. When you want the liner out, just pull out the cord or wire.

http://revival.us/ProductImages/products/revi...perior.gif

If you're really going to use the helmet as a kettle you should give some thought about the effects of heat on the metal--even stainless-- and the possibility of toxins. You'd have to make sure there's no lacquer on brass elements and no oil on steel.
I'll be having it made out of 304 stainless, which is a common food-grade stainless used in camping cookware. Rather than vervelles I could use stainless eye rivets.
Ooh...I think I may be on to something. What about 6 shoulder rivets spaced around the perimeter of the inside and have the liner/suspension attach to them with keyhole plates?

[ Linked Image ]

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: